Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost/stolen key fob

mitford

Evening all,

my daughter has either lost or had her bunch of keys stolen for her 2018 Aygo. 

I have a few questions

can you disable remote unlocking with having the key fob?

can you disable the indicators from flashing when the car is being locked/unlocked?

if I was to get a new key fob I take it the old (missing) one would still work?

im trying to think what the best thing is to do, the insurance says they will only cover the locks being changed which seems pretty useless if the remote unlocking still works 

There isn't a way to remove an individual key code AFAIK, but when you're coding a new key, you can erase all other coded keys as part of the procedure - If you're getting the new key from a dealer, tell them to do that, and also code in other keys you have again, so only the ones in your possession will still be coded in the ECU.

If they're changing the locks too they'll need to replace all the keys anyway though as the dealer won't swap the transponders between key blades...

• Thanks 1

Presumably if it is an insurance claim, the insurer's approved repairer will be used.

Yes, you could insist on the work being done by a Toyota dealer, but some insurers now charge an additional excess if the approved repaired isn't used. Check the policy terms and conditions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably if it is an insurance claim, the insurer's approved repairer will be used.

Yes, you could insist on the work being done by a Toyota dealer, but some insurers now charge an additional excess if the approved repaired isn't used. Check the policy terms and conditions.

They’ve just said they will fund upto £500 and I have to pay upfront and then claim it back. Strange thing is though it says they don’t pay for coding a new key 

• Like 1

a decent auto locksmith will be able to delete the missing key and cut and replace a key with no issue as long as you have at least 1 working key

remote locking - yes you can put the door lock rewrite or clear (prohibit) mode to remove all keys and add the keys back (locking only)

KGB40, non smart key

KGB40 lock fob programming.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:38 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

They’ve just said they will fund upto £500 and I have to pay upfront and then claim it back. Strange thing is though it says they don’t pay for coding a new key 

• Like 1

Thankfully the keys have been handed in and she’s got them back now 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mitford said:

Thankfully the keys have been handed in and she’s got them back now 

Phew, I bet that's a relief, I read on here about all the trouble and expense it causes when keys are lost.

If I do finish up buying another car ever,it reminds me to never accept a one key example.

• Like 1

It's a daily occurrence is lost keys :rolleyes: Most modern "fob" types with the emergency key are around £500, always have a spare key, I have to give bad news to people every single day, how can people think one key will be just fine? People expect some kind of skeleton key will be available to them and then they just take a key away

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

It's a daily occurrence is lost keys :rolleyes: Most modern "fob" types with the emergency key are around £500, always have a spare key, I have to give bad news to people every single day, how can people think one key will be just fine? People expect some kind of skeleton key will be available to them and then they just take a key away

Thankfully she did have the spare key, I was just worried that if someone had stolen the fob that they’d be on the look out to try and steal it 

• Like 1

A lot of people worry that a lost key might be found and you would be able to steal the car (you would) but I have never had that happen to anyone, it is possible of course but suspect nobody can be rrr'sd trolling around estates looking for the car 

• Like 1

Unless they were being targeted it's almost impossible to randomly find a car a key belongs to; Still good practise to delete any lost keys if possible, but more hassle than it's worth most of the time.

5 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Phew, I bet that's a relief, I read on here about all the trouble and expense it causes when keys are lost.

If I do finish up buying another car ever,it reminds me to never accept a one key example.

That was a real bugger back when I was Mk1 Yaris D4D hunting - Almost all of them only had one key, and a good number of them didn't even have an original key which meant no remote central locking!

Insisting on 2 keys is definitely a must, even with dealers (Our dealer tried to sell my dad his Verso with only one key, but I used the - it should have come with two so it's incomplete - argument, and got the extra key thrown in. It's also why I strongly encourage anyone getting one of the new Mk4's that use an actual key to make having that 2nd key part of the sale, as they only come with 1 real key - The "2nd key"  it came with sets off the alarm if you use it so at best it's only an emergency key! They were supposed to get a 2nd real key, as it was withheld due to parts shortages, but if the original owner didn't claim it then the offer was voided and the next owner would have had to pay for one...)

• Like 1

The all-keys lost situation isn't great with the right tools you can sort it without the need to throw ££££ at it, mechanical locks can be pinned and cut to code - done a mk1 and mk2 aygo's and a couple of Yaris (clear the EEPROM in the immobiliser, read the key, write the key back to the EEPROM

main dealer can do all keys lost with ease using techdoc and GTS as long as they have a clue and security clearance

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links