Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintain a 20yr corolla

RHYSF00

So my corolla is 20 years old with 131k miles on the clock. I want to try and keep costs down and prevent mot failures in future. The last mot failure costed 655 to fix. 

Is there any tips from anyone? I am needing a service soon and i belive it just oil. 

Check for rust underneath?

• Thanks 1

Hi Rhys,

Check your last MOT certificate for advisories.These highlight potential issues that weren't serious enough to fail but could cause problems in the future. Addressing these advisories before the next MOT can prevent a future failure.

Common MOT failure points for older cars, particularly Corollas. This can help you prioritise checks during your service or DIY checks. Some areas to look at include lights, tyres, brakes, and emissions.

Before any repairs, get quotes from a few reputable garages. This can help you find the most competitive price Independent garages they can sometimes offer lower labour rates than dealerships, especially for older cars.

For non critical repairs, consider using good quality aftermarket parts instead of original manufacturer parts. Discuss this option with a  mechanic if necessary to make sure of compatibility etc.

At 20 years old, consider the car's overall condition. While regular maintenance can extend its life, very expensive repairs might not be economical

Whilst some of the above can help you pass future MOTs, unexpected issues can still arise. Be prepared for potential repair costs, and factor this into your decision on keeping the car. hopefully this will help to keep your Corolla running smoothly and avoid costly MOT failures. Hope this helps :smile:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RHYSF00 said:

So my corolla is 20 years old with 131k miles on the clock. I want to try and keep costs down and prevent mot failures in future. The last mot failure costed 655 to fix. 

Is there any tips from anyone? I am needing a service soon and i belive it just oil. 

You didn't mention what the repair was for - body work (rust) or mechanical?

For mechanical work like wheel bearings, brakes, engine etc. I'd say that is pretty normal. If that's your first higher cost repair in 20 years, that is pretty good going and not many pence per mile. As much as it hurts your wallet, I would also argue that in today's money 600-700 for repairs isn't all that much. 

As is often the case, running an older car can be a very economical way of transporting yourself, if you can do some work yourself and know what to look for. Alternatively, find a garage or mechanic that you trust and who can give you advice on the state of your car. The Corolla is a very solid car and and go on for many, many miles. You just need someone to help you keep an eye on things, unless you can do it.

As an example... My old Corolla went on for about 250k miles and the chap who bought it after me eventually scrapped it because the brake lines needed doing and he decided it would cost more than the car was worth. Now, had that still been my car, it would have cost me very little to fix and the car would probably be rolling. Body wise, it was completely solid with zero rust. 

6 hours ago, APS said:

You didn't mention what the repair was for - body work (rust) or mechanical?

For mechanical work like wheel bearings, brakes, engine etc. I'd say that is pretty normal. If that's your first higher cost repair in 20 years, that is pretty good going and not many pence per mile. As much as it hurts your wallet, I would also argue that in today's money 600-700 for repairs isn't all that much. 

As is often the case, running an older car can be a very economical way of transporting yourself, if you can do some work yourself and know what to look for. Alternatively, find a garage or mechanic that you trust and who can give you advice on the state of your car. The Corolla is a very solid car and and go on for many, many miles. You just need someone to help you keep an eye on things, unless you can do it.

As an example... My old Corolla went on for about 250k miles and the chap who bought it after me eventually scrapped it because the brake lines needed doing and he decided it would cost more than the car was worth. Now, had that still been my car, it would have cost me very little to fix and the car would probably be rolling. Body wise, it was completely solid with zero rust. 

Screenshot_20240311_113407_Chrome.thumb.jpg.abf5e77f0118eb989e93a08ad5d3c96b.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links