Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help: Replaced battery and getting weird re-ignition noise

kriscollier

Hi All,

I recently replaced the Battery in my Toyota Yaris T3 2006. Car starts just fine but when I turn the key to full ignition after initial turn on (car is running), I get the weird noise in the video. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am a student and just trying to keep this little bugger running until I graduate. I also believe I need to replace the fan belt but just haven't had the time. Thanks!

Old battery: https://www.exidegroup.com/eu/en/battery/EB500

New battery: https://www.gsfcarparts.com/za042887

@kriscollier just 3 times and then OK?

I have an idea but shall keep my counsel until someone with more experience pops in.

It starts fine on the first attempt. It's just when you try turn the key fully again (whilst the car is running) it produces the loud noise in the video. Only real difference between batteries is the new one is 400 A vs 450 on the old.

A full turn is used to engage the starter motor.  Once it is engaged and starts the engine you release the key and it backs off the full turn.

Did each turn of the key create that noise?

If you try to turn the key again with the engine running you are trying to push the starter motor pinion into the rotating engine.  Don't try it.

I once had a starter motor fail to disenge.  I would never want that again.  The only way to stop the engine driving tge starter motor was to disconnect the Battery.

• Like 2

Ah okay understandable. Just never thought I'd seen/heard it before. So you're saying its normal? Thanks.

• Like 2

Yes perfectly normal, as I say, don't try it all the time. 

• Like 2

Topic moved to the Yaris forum.

• Like 1

why turn the key if it's running ?? all your are doing is smashing the starter gear into the flywheel, and in time you will kill the starter and/or flywheel leading to £££

• Like 4

Accident to be honest. Then didn't think it sounded normal but I've realised I had probably never tried it before. Thanks for all the replies!

• Like 1

Kris, remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  Now you are in the Yaris section, I am sure you will fine and get lots of useful help. 

• Like 2

Exactly why I asked haha. Learn a thing or two and try keep this 17 year old car alive for just a bit longer! Thanks all.

• Like 2

grinding sounds = BAD 😉 😉

you learn by making mistakes, like mixing beer, spirits and wine = 2-day hangover as I have witnessed

• Haha 2

Not to worry, we all had to learn once.

When I first started I often used to forget to release the handbrake, and a few other mistakes.

Now you know not to do that, your Yaris will be fine, mine is 21 in June and counting.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links