Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mystery of the missing oil cap!

StruthJones

I have used cardboard as a gasket. More superior stuff than Kellogg's though!

A paper gasket was also made and  used to seal the impellor cover of large centrifugal water pumps.😎

Without trying to be a smart Alec, too late for Ruth now, I always look under the bonnet for anything amiss and check the dipstick before even starting the car after it's been garage serviced.

In my humble opinion, that filler cap has not been replaced after the oil change.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Iain, I had had the same thought but we don't know anything about Ruth apart from her ability to publish a photograph and use this forum.

There may be many reasons why someone would not open the bonnet.  My mother in law relies completely on the garage.  I doubt she could even open her bonnet; she is 98.

My wife could open the bonnet but lacks the reach to fasten the stay on the YC (or Corolla).  In the past she could open the bonnets of the SAAB or Mercedes  but relatively the Toyota is too heavy.

Good point made Roy 👍 apologies Ruth no offence intended.

• Like 2

I had a (brief) relationship with a Goldie and once tutored on the starting method, had no problems. I was told to jump up and put all my weight into kicking it over, a tentative prod was bound to make it kick-back!

• Haha 1

Corn flakes cardboard may have been the big thing of the day but Frosties, Special K, Cocoa Pops, Shreddies, Wheatabix and not forgetting Scott’s Portidge Oats were other alternatives to create a cylinder head gasket!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

I often use cornflake packets to make gaskets.

It is the only choice once your vehicle gets over a certain age unless you have a large bank account.

Hi John, I used to use rice rice crispy packets but ever time i put it on It would "snap crackle and pop"😂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Hi John, I used to use rice rice crispy packets but ever time i put it on It would "snap crackle and pop"😂

I tired using Rice Friskies once but got almost the same result, mine went slap tickle and grope.

• Haha 3

I have seen this happen a number of times, the oil cap left off after an oil change. Only last week I carried out an engine detail due to oil contamination, after the owner topped up the engine on an Audi A5 Sport and forgot to put the cap back on. He only noticed because the engine warning light illuminated. Also happened to a neighbour's Ford EcoSport, he'd had a service and MOT, the mechanic had also forgotten to put the cap back on, I found it on the scuttle panel just like I did with the Audi. No warning lights appeared on the Ford but he noticed a strong smell of burning oil coming into the cabin from the oil stained exhaust manifold.

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links