Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking sensor sensitivity

kacnje

For some weeks I have RAV4 Hybrid 2020.
I'm still shocked at how late (especially rear) parking sensors start to beep. Especially both sensors on corners.
Before I had Mazda CX-5 and because I have quite narrow parking, I knew how important is that parking sensors are accurate and timely.
Any idea if the parking sensor sensitivity can be adjusted?

I don't believe that there is any sensitivity adjustment available ...

Maybe because I am used to the system, I find the sensitivity of the sensors about right - if anything they come on too soon for my liking. They start to 'beep' when I am about a metre from an obstacle and 'scream' when I am a few centimetres away.

Just how 'late' are you talking about?

HiJanez, There isn't information about directly adjusting the parking sensor sensitivity in a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid.  Some users report the RAV4 system beeps later than expected, especially on the corners. This might be by design, with the system prioritising directly behind the car. It's possible there's a fault with a particular sensor, especially if the corner sensors are noticeably different. A trip to the dealer for a check could be worthwhile if you are concerned.:smile:

I will check. I can drive close to the wall/pillar (corner) without beeping. So close, that I was shocked when I saw it.

The sensors on the Corolla are too sensitive for my liking, but if you get too close to something, they make a noise akin to an air horn, it does make me chuckle :naughty:

• Like 1

On the ‘21 PHEV the sensors are about right, the front and back giving a good indication of distance, the orange starters visual letting you know there is something there and increasing until the red visuals at the strongest show and then it’s about 20mm/ 8” in old money.  The corners get used every day as I have to swing out of the drive, good all around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kacnje said:

I will check. I can drive close to the wall/pillar (corner) without beeping. So close, that I was shocked when I saw it.

It's probably worth noting that the reversing sensors look mainly backwards rather than out to the side. That's fine when you are reversing straight back, but more care is needed if reversing on full lock ... ?

• Like 1

The ones on my Yaris supposedly can be adjusted for Far/Med/Near sensitivity but they are factory-fitted ones tied into the ECU; The normal 'dumb' ones are usually set.

7 hours ago, Parts-King said:

The sensors on the Corolla are too sensitive for my liking, but if you get too close to something, they make a noise akin to an air horn, it does make me chuckle :naughty:

You're lucky; If I get too close to something mine sounds more like the sound of John Denver being strangled :eek: :laugh: 

(Shoutout to any python fans! :laugh: )

16 hours ago, philip42h said:

It's probably worth noting that the reversing sensors look mainly backwards rather than out to the side. That's fine when you are reversing straight back, but more care is needed if reversing on full lock ... ?

Yes, that is what I mean. Yesterday I checked the sensor positions. As I said, I'm new to RAV4.
I saw that the corner sensor isn't positioned on the corner enough like it was on Mazda. All four rear sensors are installed relatively for observation behind. Corners are covered only partially.
Maybe I will check with a dealer or try a Carista customization. I'm not sure what it means (maybe long-range mean higher sensitivity), but they said:

• Front center parking sensor range

Short

Long

• Front corner parking sensor range

Short

Long

• Rear center parking sensor range

Short

Long

I have read what the user manual says about this.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough (my English is far from good 😉). In this picture is a concrete pillow marked with red. In my case, I can drive extremely close without getting any warning. Especially if there is a turning when driving backward. That was much better on Mazda CX-5. The rear corner sensor should be positioned more to the corner.

image.thumb.png.2aec9bcfdd7dcd4392d4f88d10587230.png

Some users have mentioned that the sensor placement could be improved, creating blind spots especially during tight maneuvers when turning while reversing. You can always ask your local dealer if any adjustments are possible to that corner sensor.:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a Rav 4 Hybrid and I cannot get used to the sensors. I think it beeps too close to the object it senses, about a foot. I brought it back to the dealer and asked about adjusting the sensors to a longer warning beep, about a meter or so. Still waiting for an answer but I don't think it's possible. Anyway, I am not happy with the current distance, I think its too near the object at a foot. 

I have exactly the same problem. I reckon it starts beeping about a foot before it senses an object. My previous car started about a yard before it sensed an object. I went back to the dealer and requested that the sensors were adjusted to alonger distance but I don't think it can be done.  Very disappointed.  At first I thought they were not working but after testing them they work but too near an obstacle for my comfort. 

I agree. It starts beeping when the car almost hits the obstacle.

Don’t understand the problem here, as long as the beeping warns before you hit something, it is doing its job! Usually when the beeping occurs the car would be travelling slowly and all the operator has to do is stop the manoeuvre surely. Why would you want a metre between the car and the object because as soon as the sensor goes off you no longer have an early warning of impact that is any use IMO. 🤷‍♂️

Hah, I have the opposite problem - Mine starts beeping too early so makes me think I'm about to crash into something when I'm far enough a way a couple of motorbikes could probably fit through the gap :laugh: 

It makes it very difficult to perform really tighty manoeuvres because the beeping is already on and, ironically, it makes it harder to judge the distance! I so wish mine had the 360 camera system the JDM one does...! I would have paid good money for that option, esp. now that I know how awful the Mk4's general visibility is!

I have to go into the red to be at a sensible distance.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links