Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New CHR mpg

Chriss27

Hi what MPG are people getting on the new CHR and is it similar to previous model ? Tia 

Obviously not enough well off people have these yet. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just filled for first time with my 24 1.8 Design, worked out at 60.6mpg, previous CHR averaged 52.8 over time owned.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 11:51 AM, Chriss27 said:

Hi what MPG are people getting on the new CHR and is it similar to previous model ? Tia 

It's pretty much the same size and weight as the early version, with more refined variants of the same engines. You'd expect the consumption figures to be very comparable ...

I'd expect to find more variation between drivers and driving styles that I would between the new and old models.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, philip42h said:

It's pretty much the same size and weight as the early version, with more refined variants of the same engines. You'd expect the consumption figures to be very comparable ...

I'd expect to find more variation between drivers and driving styles that I would between the new and old models.

That’s right. 
The newer models will deliver so slightly better efficiency in certain driving conditions only, like for example in town low speed use where the ev drives will be increased as a result of improved ev motors and Battery
Overall average mpg between previous generations and latest ones it’s not so large as some people may think. There are physical limitations to how a combustion engine works, weight, and overall energy required to propel a ton plus weight of metal on the road. 
Auris hybrid from 2010 with over 270k miles still deliver average 54mpg in current weather. 👍

• Like 2

My 2024 1.8 Excel is currently averaging 58.6 mpg.Over 486 miles, mainly short runs

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 6:40 PM, Yorkboy said:

My 2024 1.8 Excel is currently averaging 58.6 mpg.Over 486 miles, mainly short runs

I can agree with this consumption, before getting a RAV4 I had a CHR and I would easy do this with mixed roads A's, B's, and motorways. Locally A and B roads anything up to 65mpg.

• Like 2

It’s a bit early to tell and I hope the onboard computer is not wildly optimistic but so far on local runs , sticking to the speed limits , using ACC a lot particularly in 30/40 zones the 2.0 PE is throwing out some impressive numbers , well beyond what our old 2.0 Excel did 👍

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

It’s a bit early to tell and I hope the onboard computer is not wildly optimistic but so far on local runs , sticking to the speed limits , using ACC a lot particularly in 30/40 zones the 2.0 PE is throwing out some impressive numbers , well beyond what our old 2.0 Excel did 👍

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

Very good results indeed 👌
perhaps gen5 it’s a larger step ahead in terms of the ev part upgrade over gen4 and what some people believe like the car care but who is calling them gen4.5 instead. Actually the gen5 hybrids are very good imo with the new batteries and electric motors . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Very good results indeed 👌
perhaps gen5 it’s a larger step ahead in terms of the ev part upgrade over gen4 and what some people believe like the car care but who is calling them gen4.5 instead. Actually the gen5 hybrids are very good imo with the new batteries and electric motors . 

I’m always sceptical about onboard MPG figures, the first refill will be the real test. The 2.0 engine feels a lot less busy, and more refined,  than the 1.8 when we did a back to back test in the Corolla with the 5th gen Hybrid system. I’m not doing anything special , I  have it in “Normal” not “Eco” and  just drive smoothly, anticipate what’s happening and keep up with traffic flow 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So finally managed the run over the NY Moors to Whitby so plenty of hills, and a very un stressed drive train considering some of the gradients. Average speeds are what they are , can’t see the point of risking life or limb to get by one truck to find myself behind the next one 🤷‍♂️ scenery was great 👍😎

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The tank has now been refilled and over 441 miles the onboard was saying average of 67.5 mpg the actual calculation based on a brim to brim refill was 61.1 mpg so around 10-11% optimistic, which I’m guessing is down to the EV Mode usage being thrown into the mix. The upside is the new CHR did around 4-5mpg better than our old 2.0 Excel, and better than the quoted WLTP of 57.6 mpg 

IMG_0455.jpeg

Edited by AndyRC
Mode
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyRC said:

The tank has now been refilled and over 441 miles the onboard was saying average of 67.5 mpg the actual calculation based on a brim to brim refill was 61.1 mpg so around 10-11% optimistic, which I’m guessing is down to the EV usage being thrown into the mix.

Unless you have a PHEV there is no "EV usage" to throw into the mix.

There are errors in both calculations:

• The OBC will be estimating fuel consumption - I don't believe that the car actually contains a fuel metering system.
  • The brim-to-brim will be dependent upon your / the pumps accuracy of "filling to the brim" (better if you use exactly the same pump) and the temperature(s) when you fill.

The mileage measurement may or may not be exact but at least it will be the same for both calculations.

Over 'many' tankfuls you should be able to get a realistic measure of actual consumption.

But who cares! 60+ mpg is a pretty decent figure for the car. 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Second fill up and nearly another 400 miles with a big chunk of MWay and the NY Moors thrown in. The calculated figure is 58.8 MPG so not shabby and more than happy. TBH I’ve stopped putting much credence in the onboard figures as 88mpg over the return leg from Whitby was unbelievable 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So filled the car up for only the third rime since we got it in April and calculated the total over 1200 miles of mixed motoring including MWay and a few runs over the NY moors and pleased to say it’s returning a genuine 60.4mpg . The onboard computer is saying 59.9mpg so pretty close. We’re very pleased with the fuel economy on the latest  2.0 HEV  drivetrain and the overall refinement of the new generation CHR. 

IMG_0786.jpeg

• Like 2

I have done just over 1200 miles in my 1.8. I normally do 10 x 20 mile runs during the week, with the occasional longer run on a weekend.  It is not often I can go above 40/50mph, except once a week when I can get to 60mph for about 5 miles. Apart from the 60mph trip, most of the roads are single carriageway with quite a few bends. My spreadsheet is showing 60.57mpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

I have done just over 1200 miles in my 1.8. I normally do 10 x 20 mile runs during the week, with the occasional longer run on a weekend.  It is not often I can go above 40/50mph, except once a week when I can get to 60mph for about 5 miles. Apart from the 60mph trip, most of the roads are single carriageway with quite a few bends. My spreadsheet is showing 60.57mpg

MPG will always depend a lot on the journeys and how heavy footed folks are. Both the 1.8 and 2.0 HEV are pretty impressive on fuel economy👍 These days I do stick to the speed limits and leave plenty of room to the car in front so I’m not heavy on the brakes.  The NY Moors trips are a good opportunity to actually give the brakes a bit of a polish 😎

• Like 1

I am doing 60mpg currently in my old Auris , that’s measured by the pump first click and on the dashboard reading which are very similar.
Motorway driving at sensible speeds pretty much all hybrids does very similar fuel consumption., even those ultra efficient Yaris and Prius .  
Town and country lanes though yours as newer models with more advanced tech particularly on the ev side will definitely beat me up by much 👌

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 6:44 PM, anonymouse said:

Just filled for first time with my 24 1.8 Design, worked out at 60.6mpg, previous CHR averaged 52.8 over time owned.

I take that the 60.6 is a summer reading whreas the 52.8 is an overall reading. Summer mpg will always be better

We are now have over 1500 miles on the clock and after filling up after using a tankful on mainly MWay the average over  1562 calculates as 60.2 mpg, whilst the onboard computer was reading 59.9 mpg. Not sure what mpg  other folk are getting ? Should add that I keep the car in “Normal” driving mode and the Aircon is on. Definately more fuel efficient than our old 2021 2.0 Excel. 

• Like 3

Just over 1000 miles on the clock of my CH-R Premiere, averaging between 60/70  to the gallon. 

• Like 3

Filled up yesterday and my spreadsheet is showing that I am getting an average of 62.4mpg, since purchase on 27th May.

That is having done just over 1800 miles.

Edited by dannyboy413
added a bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy413 said:

Filled up yesterday and my spreadsheet is showing that I am getting an average of 62.4mpg, since purchase on 27th May.

That is having done just over 1800 miles.

Excellent

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ron in Chester said:

Just over 1000 miles on the clock of my CH-R Premiere, averaging between 60/70  to the gallon. 

I see some very impressive MPG figures from the on board computer for individual journeys but I never trust them 100% and go by my own refill  calculations, but a genuine +60mpg over 1500 miles is good for me 👍

• Like 1

We are now over 2000 miles on the clock and over the last two fill ups the driving has been over 90% on motorways averaging just over 60mpg. I managed to get the reserve light to come on and filled up within  7 miles and could only get 35.8 litres in, which gives a reserve of 7.2 litres. The fuel gauge was saying 22 miles until empty when the light came on but at over 60mpg that’s more like 95 miles. I tend to fill up at around a 1/4 but there is plenty left if you get the warning light on. The fuel efficiency and refinement of the 2.0  5th generation HEV drivetrain never ceases to surprise me. 

IMG_0827.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links