Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Complying with law coming in force June 2024 concerning CATS

JARC1

Being a law obiding individual I took Charlie to the vets this week to get him "chipped".

Very disappointed with the outcome though.

No faster and certainly no better economy.

(Charlie, by the way, is a half bread Bengal)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The only advantage, stated by the government, is that chipping will allow stray and lost cats to be reunited with their owner and returned safely home.  So why go to the lengths of issuing fines for owners who do not comply?  The answer, or course, is REVENUE!

Stray cats do not necessarily have an “owner”, but may well be friendly towards people, and even visit homes randomly and allow themselves to be fussed in order to get fed. Cats are intelligent enough to do this.  Then what happens if a nosey neighbour sees such a cat regularly visiting a home and, for whatever reason, decides to inform the authorities?

Does that kindly and caring householder suffer the fully weight of the law because the cat isn’t chipped?  If it is accepted that he/she isn’t the owner, will they be instructed, under threat, not to feed or encourage the animal, or else?  Then the householder has the worrying dilemma - what if I am the only person adequately feeding the cat?

So wrapped up in petty laws and revenue are the government, that they forget the needs of the animal kingdom, and their oft reliance upon the compassion shown by many humans.  My advice to the government, particularly where free-roaming animals are concerned, is this. “Before you pass a law, make sure that meets all the criteria to avoid generating a public fear for showing kindness to an animal that is possibly in need of receiving food.”

• Confused 1

All our cats have been chipped for the last 20 plus years, it's a big step forward giving cats the same protection as dogs

yes the chip system does work, 9/10 times

we have 3 cats atm, a black moggie, ticked tabby and a Turkish Angora

• Like 2

How do you know a Cat is not chipped?

Is the Vet going to shop you?

If the dead cat in not chipped are you going to compound the owner's misery by fining them?

I do understand the reasoning for the chipping of cats.

I think you have all missed the "Humour" of what was intended in the post.

Back in the days of real motoring/petrolheads etc., there was a meaning for "Chipped", that has probably been lost in the annuls of time. I am 74 years young and was running and developing cars in the age of "Chipped" .

Best Wishes, John

1 hour ago, JARC1 said:

think you have all missed the "Humour" of what was intended in the post.

I read the title and assumed it was to do with security chips in catatonic converters to help trace them if they were stolen.

• Haha 1

The topic refers to all cats having to be chipped by June 2024 (specifically 10 June 2024 in England only), so it was reasonable for anyone watching the forum to immediately connect the post with “cats”, as in furry animals.

The Cats Protection League are pressing for cats to be treated under the same laws as for dogs - for example, if run over by a vehicle, the driver must stop and deal with the situation as appropriate, including reporting it to the police - I think this would only be necessary if the cat was dead and no way of contacting the owner.  Trouble is, these people don’t understand how much of a problem this can be.  A cat can suddenly run out at night and a driver, even if he/she is fully concentrating, may not necessarily see the cat, and running over a cat doesn’t produce a significant bump - much less so than a minor pothole would.

Late at night, I once hit a cat that ran out in front of me. It was so close as it ran out that stopping in time was impossible.  Looking in the rear mirror as I stopped, it seemed to be spinning in the road, but as I got out to attend to it, it suddenly recovered enough to run and leap over a nearby high fence and disappear.  The fencing did not clearly indicate which property it might belong to, and who goes randomly knocking on doors at one o’clock in the morning?  So I just went on my way.

Looking over my car next day, I saw flat the front aluminium number plate was bent backwards on its fixing bolts, so this must have deflected the cat downwards so that it escaped hitting the underbody heavy items.  Lucky cat - if it lived and did not receive major injuries!!!

A similar thing happened to me many years ago, ran over a cat and it got up and ran off, I did read several years later that an injured cat will hide somewhere and, if the injury is severe, will die..

Did you lot really not get the joke the OP was making...?

A cat owner once told me that you don’t own a cat - a cat owns you.  There may be some truth in this.  When our son bought his first house, he found a cat in his back garden, and a neighbour said that it just lived in that garden. It came to the house to be fed, but would not enter.  So he and his wife just kept feeding it.

When they eventually moved on, they took the cat with them; worried that nobody else would bother to feed it.  It settled in at the next house, but still would not come indoors.  By this time the cat was obviously getting old, and  our son took it to the vet because it was looking poorly, and the vet sold him medication for it.  One day it did start to come into the house, but was getting more poorly and was becoming weaker, and the vet advised that it should be put down.

Regarding the new chipping law for cats, the usual “fines if you don’t” warnings have been given.  Given the owner doubts already expressed, as always, the government never considers scenarios where a person may be technically guilty, but in fact be innocent of any wrongdoing.  For example, our son could have gone no further than dropping food outside the back door out of concern for the animal’s welfare, but a nosey neighbour saying he did own the cat could have got him in trouble had the cat shown need of treatment by a vet and reported it to the authorities.

No law's purrfect but this one isn't worth having kittens over... :whistling1: :laugh: 

TBH I'm more worried about the possibility of it becoming mandatory for US to be chipped! :eek: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

No law's purrfect but this one isn't worth having kittens over... :whistling1: :laugh: 

TBH I'm more worried about the possibility of it becoming mandatory for US to be chipped! :eek: 

Shhhh! For Pete’s sake.  It would be easier to chip us than round up all the cats for it.  Don’t give the woke government ideas!

I don't have any strong felines about this.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I don't have any strong felines about this.

The whole thing will be a catastrophe.

Very purrplexing.

• Haha 3

You lot are grrrreat :biggrin: 

• Haha 2

I’m not getting into a flap over this!

• Haha 2

On 3/18/2024 at 8:20 AM, Haliotis said:

I’m not getting into a flap over this!

You  can have a chip fitted to the cat that will open them (cat flaps) as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links