Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Immobiliser recommendations

chilaspt

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for an immobiliser and company to do the work in South West London? 

Preferably someone that you've used for your rav4, as I'd hate to have electric gremlins:)

Thanks

ChilasPT 

From the '2022 Rav4 stolen' topic, a couple of members have had issues with the Ghost immobiliser.

• Thanks 1

The Ghost screwed up my hybrid system even after a new software update. It was replaced by the below that uses encrypted bluetooth tags that must be in the car to allow starting. 
Ghost can work fine on the RAV, my hunch is that some cars run different software versions which clash with the Ghost.

IMG_2386.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, ELD1970 said:

The Ghost screwed up my hybrid system even after a new software update. It was replaced by the below that uses encrypted Bluetooth tags that must be in the car to allow starting. 
Ghost can work fine on the RAV, my hunch is that some cars run different software versions which clash with the Ghost.

IMG_2386.png

How has the immobiliser been? Still happy with it?

The immobiliser has been fine, least they can’t clone the key signal and start the car. Has a nice red flashing LED by the drivers side as well.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:59 PM, chilaspt said:

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for an immobiliser and company to do the work in South West London? 

Preferably someone that you've used for your rav4, as I'd hate to have electric gremlins:)

Thanks

ChilasPT 

You might want to take a look at Toyota GB statement on vehicle theft and this thread:

before deciding whether to invest in a third-party immobiliser. 

In the statement Toyota GB state: "Following significant investments by Toyota GB, in line with that of other vehicle manufacturers, newly developed official Toyota and Lexus security hardware components will very soon be available to fit to those targeted models registered before October 2021.".

My guess would be that these "security hardware components" may well take the form of a third-party immobiliser together with installation and configuration instructions to allow fitment by Toyota dealers and avoid "electric gremlins".

They state: "The security enhancement needs to be carried out at a Toyota Centre. Costs are under review; customers may incur a nominal charge." So, we could end up with a Ghost or equivalent, fitted by Toyota and with Toyota warranty, for next to nothing ...

In one of the early comments they say: "We anticipate being able to advise the Toyota Centre network with full details before the end of April 2024." So, hopefully not too long to wait now.

Yeah I've been following that one, announced in April, doesn't mean that they will be ready to install then or anything like that. I'm guessing maybe end of may, early June for installing? Depends on uptake and time slots at the dealerships... 

You have to remember that a lot of owners out there are not even aware that their Rav 4 is vulnerable. It's only people with a little more interest that follow things like this.I had the plates fitted within 2 weeks of them becoming available. You do have to keep on the case with the dealer and make them aware that you know all about the said immobiliser's probable availability at end of April. I have always found the dealers helpful when you take this line with them.Probably just want you out of their hair, but do I care if it gets a result.

regards Terry.

7 hours ago, philip42h said:

My guess would be that these "security hardware components" may well take the form of a third-party immobiliser together with installation and configuration instructions to allow fitment by Toyota dealers and avoid "electric gremlins".

They state: "The security enhancement needs to be carried out at a Toyota Centre. Costs are under review; customers may incur a nominal charge." So, we could end up with a Ghost or equivalent, fitted by Toyota and with Toyota warranty, for next to nothing .

My guess would be its gonna be the Toyota enhanced security system - bluetooth tag based immobiliser system also linked to the My Toyota app. 

I suspect the current delay is to allow the factory to produce enough stock of systems for European / UK Toyota & Lexus dealers to make a start retrofitting them. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links