Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris verso 1.3 squealing PAS Belt

amazighman

Hi all

I had a squealing  power steering  belt in the Yaris verso 1.3 for a while , I replaced it with a new belt  Gates brand and tentioned it to max but it still squeals , tried slacking it a bit made things worse ,it squeels so bad for 30 seconds on startup and setting off ,then goes quiet but stills squeals  whenever  in feels like it at very low speeds.

any ideas as what to do next? get a genuine belt or its the PAS pulley thats very old and smooth not gripping ,or should i look for a slightly shorter  belt and that way it will be tighter?

thanks 

Hi Chouaib, when you slacken the belt it actually makes the squealing worse The main function of the belt is to transfer power from the engine to the power steering pump. A properly tensioned belt grips firmly onto the grooves of the pulleys. When you loosen the belt, the gripping force between the belt and the pulley decreases. This allows the belt to slip more easily, causing the squealing noise.

A loose belt flops around more as it spins. This uneven contact with the pulley can further reduce grip and make the slipping worse, and you end up with more pronounced squealing. Its likely a worn pulley, particularly the power steering pump pulley. A smooth, worn pulley won't grip the belt properly causing it to slip and squeal. Since you mentioned replacing the belt with a new one and adjusting the tension didn't resolve the issue. Apparently this is a common problem with this model.

Hope this helps :smile:

6 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Chouaib, when you slacken the belt it actually makes the squealing worse The main function of the belt is to transfer power from the engine to the power steering pump. A properly tensioned belt grips firmly onto the grooves of the pulleys. When you loosen the belt, the gripping force between the belt and the pulley decreases. This allows the belt to slip more easily, causing the squealing noise.

A loose belt flops around more as it spins. This uneven contact with the pulley can further reduce grip and make the slipping worse, and you end up with more pronounced squealing. Its likely a worn pulley, particularly the power steering pump pulley. A smooth, worn pulley won't grip the belt properly causing it to slip and squeal. Since you mentioned replacing the belt with a new one and adjusting the tension didn't resolve the issue. Apparently this is a common problem with this model.

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks for your swift reply.

I did have suspicion  that the PAS pulley might be worn...

is it a separate part that I can buy or I have to get the whole PAS pump?

I read an advice fron NAPA stating that they recommend to get slightly smaller belt for older cars as components  can wear so slightly  thus smaller belt will allow a bit more tension.

the current belt is 848 mm long ,wonder if I install an 838 mm if it would make things better ? cheaper that getting a new Pas pump and easier job

I wouldn't recommend using a smaller belt to compensate for a potentially worn Power Assisted Steering pulley. A smaller belt might not provide the optimal tension needed for the PAS pump to function correctly. This could lead to a slipping belt and reduced power steering assist and potential burning of the belt. Increased strain on the pump and tensioner, will lead to premature wear.

Even if a slightly smaller belt seems to work initially, it's addressing the symptom (looseness) and not the root cause the worn pulley. The wear on the pulley will likely continue to worsen.

IMO, inspect the PAS Pulley and check the pulley for visible signs of wear, such as grooves, cracks, or wobbling. If you see any damage, replacing the pulley.Replacing the pulley is generally a more affordable option than the entire pump. It's also a more permanent solution.

Stick to the manufacturer's recommended belt size for your vehicle. This ensures proper tension and functionality of the PAS system.

While replacing the pulley might seem like a bigger job, it's a safer and more reliable solution in the long run.Hope this helps.:smile:

25 minutes ago, Bper said:

I wouldn't recommend using a smaller belt to compensate for a potentially worn Power Assisted Steering pulley. A smaller belt might not provide the optimal tension needed for the PAS pump to function correctly. This could lead to a slipping belt and reduced power steering assist and potential burning of the belt. Increased strain on the pump and tensioner, will lead to premature wear.

Even if a slightly smaller belt seems to work initially, it's addressing the symptom (looseness) and not the root cause the worn pulley. The wear on the pulley will likely continue to worsen.

IMO, inspect the PAS Pulley and check the pulley for visible signs of wear, such as grooves, cracks, or wobbling. If you see any damage, replacing the pulley.Replacing the pulley is generally a more affordable option than the entire pump. It's also a more permanent solution.

Stick to the manufacturer's recommended belt size for your vehicle. This ensures proper tension and functionality of the PAS system.

While replacing the pulley might seem like a bigger job, it's a safer and more reliable solution in the long run.Hope this helps.:smile:

thanks for your advice ,any idea if pulleys are sold separately  and how to remove them ,is it pressed on or screwed on?

Some pictures might be helpful so we can see and give suggestions. Generally speaking over tension or under tension will make your new belt prematurely to fail and cause these noises. Another reason can be indeed worn out pulleys or bearings on whatever the belt is turning. 

• Like 1

can take some tmrw thanks.

I scoured the net for a new PAS pump and they are not availabe...at least in UK ,all I can find is some chinese ones on eBay.

Toyota might have but I guess the price will be astronomical 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links