Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking brake!

WOODWAYS6

Probably a silly question.but does the parking foot brake work the back wheels .Just cannot figure out what the rotational high pitched noise is coming from the front .I've taken apart both the front brakes and lubed etc.No stuck stones.all to no avail.Going to the Main Dealer Thursday.I was hoping it might be something simple I could fix.Note less than 8 k miles.

Can’t answer your question but I noticed regarding the parking foot brake, when I leave the car for a couple of weeks while away on holiday etc. when I return & try to reverse the car off my drive, the brake pads ‘stick’ to the discs & there’s a hell of a clunk, which I reckon can’t be doing the braking system any good. My Toyota garage told me, when leaving the car parked for extended periods, not to apply the parking foot brake as long as the car is on a level surface as the, what I assume is a gearbox brake that engages when the car is in parking mode would ensure the car doesn’t move. I think they’re right having tried it recently when we went off for a couple of weeks break. 

3 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Probably a silly question.but does the parking foot brake work the back wheels .Just cannot figure out what the rotational high pitched noise is coming from the front .I've taken apart both the front brakes and lubed etc.No stuck stones.all to no avail.Going to the Main Dealer Thursday.I was hoping it might be something simple I could fix.Note less than 8 k miles.

The physical foot “hand” brake is rear only.  The cable tension needs to be adjusted during service…

the P button is applied on the drive wheels (fwd) so front…

btw in 2020 i left my parking brake on for 6 months . No issues …

10 hours ago, Paul john said:

The physical foot “hand” brake is rear only.  The cable tension needs to be adjusted during service…

the P button is applied on the drive wheels (fwd) so front…

btw in 2020 i left my parking brake on for 6 months . No issues …

I think what you mean is the normal braking is of course is hydraulic but the parking brake P is cable.If that's left on there is a warning message.

19 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Can’t answer your question but I noticed regarding the parking foot brake, when I leave the car for a couple of weeks while away on holiday etc. when I return & try to reverse the car off my drive, the brake pads ‘stick’ to the discs & there’s a hell of a clunk, which I reckon can’t be doing the braking system any good. My Toyota garage told me, when leaving the car parked for extended periods, not to apply the parking foot brake as long as the car is on a level surface as the, what I assume is a gearbox brake that engages when the car is in parking mode would ensure the car doesn’t move. I think they’re right having tried it recently when we went off for a couple of weeks break. 

Yes makes sense.Not for me as I'm on a bit of an incline.

10 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Yes makes sense. Not for me as I'm on a bit of an incline.

You could always acquire four wheel chocks for those occasions you are away for an extended period and chock the car before releasing the brake.

23 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

I think what you mean is the normal braking is of course is hydraulic but the parking brake P is cable.If that's left on there is a warning message.

Nope.

”P” and the physical cable brake are separate systems.  
“P” is applied automatically when you turn the car off therefore cannot be disabled as you say “hydraulic”

the physical cable brake “operated by your left foot” is a cable connected to the rear wheels which applies a traditional “hand brake function”

there is no warning message if you put the car in drive with the physical brake on. It just wont go anywhere .

i hope that clarifies it for you. 

IMG_0005.jpeg

4 hours ago, Paul john said:

there is no warning message if you put the car in drive with the physical brake on

On the Gen 2, there is.  It has a light on the dash when the park brake is applied. If the park brake is not fully applied and you are able to drive off with the park brake on, it will sound an alarm.

Maybe it is different with later generations?

16 minutes ago, Joseph D said:

On the Gen 2, there is.  It has a light on the dash when the park brake is applied. If the park brake is not fully applied and you are able to drive off with the park brake on, it will sound an alarm.

Maybe it is different with later generations?

The light remains but no audio warning on OP gen 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2024 at 11:39 AM, Paul john said:

The light remains but no audio warning on OP gen 4

My Gen 4 gives me a parking brake warning light and if I drive off with it on it gives a warning light and a message on the dash and a warning sound

2 hours ago, ninanina said:

My Gen 4 gives me a parking brake warning light and if I drive off with it on it gives a warning light and a message on the dash and a warning sound

Yes as i said “light remains”, but on a MY20 warning sound is absent. The same as the reversing beep beep beep has been removed. 

3 hours ago, Paul john said:

Yes as i said “light remains”, but on a MY20 warning sound is absent. The same as the reversing beep beep beep has been removed. 

My apologies Paul I didn’t realise yours was MY20

The reverse beep is a bit annoying but it’s the only thing I don’t love about the car

13 hours ago, ninanina said:

The reverse beep is a bit annoying but it’s the only thing I don’t love about the car

You can stop these beeps easily. 
You need to buy a Carista obd reader or something similar and connect to the car. These adapters gives you more choices to personalise car settings like interior and exterior lights, lock functions, warning beeps for seatbelts and reverse etc, running diagnostic or scan hybrid Battery

17 hours ago, ninanina said:

Yes i lost the “truck reverse” but I did gain the “space ship” sounds lol. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links