Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla GR 2ltr vs 1.8 braking

redace

Hi all,

I have upgraded from a 1.8 to the 2ltr.

Enjoying the car a lot and wished I had got the 2ltr from the get go.

Does anyone experience they have to brake more harder compared to the 1.8 when coming to a stop?

Unlike the 1.8 I can coast and gently push the brakes for the car to stop.

However, it seems the 2ltr when I coast it still wants to move when i gently push the brakes. I end up having to put more pressure for the car to stop.

Are you comparing the same drive mode? Normal and sport have greater "braking" off throttle than ECO. So if have the 2.0 in ECO and your 1.8 was in normal you would see (albeit small) difference. 2.0 is heavier and of course latest engine/hybrid setup may behave different also.

When I went from 1.8 Auris to 2.0 corolla I didn't notice a difference - a road I drive regularly goes from a 60 to a 50 and in both cars lift off accelerator where the road markings have the arrows for return to left hand lane, both cars do exactly 50 at the speed change sign. Normal or sport, it would be less than 50 in exact same scenario. 

Always drive in normal with the odd occasion sport mode on the 1.8.

For the 2ltr I only driven in normal.

It's just that I notice when I press the brakes the charge bar seems to go quickly to max compared to the 1.8. Unless that is how it is suppose to work

When you say charge bar, do you mean the Hybrid indicator. That is as in charge/eco/power slider. That's very hard to tell at least I find it that way. 

If you mean actual charge level in the Battery then I originally found 2.0l to be a little slower but now I'd say about the same. 

Possibly I imagine it but the charge behaviour seems to me to vary over time. so could be the electronics adjust charge rate and by definition the regenerative braking. Pure guess work on that. 

Guess if it is working and no real symptoms ignore it and enjoy the car doing its own thing. 

It might be like my Yaris - The 'idle creep' will fight the brakes when you get below 3-4mph, requiring slightly stronger braking to actually stop the car.

It's one of many minor things that irk me, as in my manuals I could bring the car to a stop a smooth as you like, but with the Mk4 it's very difficult to do so without that slight jerk / lurch as the suspension absorbs the stopping force and springs back slightly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links