Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris MK IV rock chip re-paint gone wrong

M4rcell

Brand new white pearl yaris fresh out of the salon, with my luck immediately got a rock chip first trip on the highway, so this week I took it to the body shop to get it fixed along with some other scratches I found on the car (was a demo car). Checked the process on youtube, cleaning the area, painting it with a tiny brush a few times, applying the varnish etc. but the shop (rated 4.9 on Google) told me since it's a pearl color, it requires 2 paints and it won't match the original color exactly. Sure, let's fix it as much as possible then.

I went for the car today and well, the results were a bit disappointing. Not only the rock chip was clearly visible, but they somehow managed to create a second, even bigger patch on the hood. Of course they had no idea how it appeared, but after some back and forth they offered to re-spray the entire middle of the hood (between the 2 lines). 

Since none of the fixes seemed really professional, I'm a bit hesitant about this, I don't want them to screw up the entire hood of the car, but also don't want to leave the big blob of something in the paintjob there.

20240320_155816.thumb.jpg.4a75eadd6b1fab8db5a85dadc09f64ed.jpg  20240320_163055.thumb.jpg.329a7858eea29949a9b54db68266e451.jpg20240320_163114.thumb.jpg.902e23d0fbcd92dfe396ccfbfc158362.jpg

Also this is how scratches were "fixed" on the doorstep:

20240320_162856.thumb.jpg.23f241fee8c9124703daca2d0f0ddab7.jpg

What do you think I should do in this situation? Also if anyone had similar damages fixed, was the result any better?

You won't fix the car satisfactorily without it being painted. Pearl colours just don't touch up, especially on a bonnet where the light is reflecting back to you and shows every mark/blemish 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, Parts-King said:

You won't fix the car satisfactorily without it being painted. Pearl colours just don't touch up, especially on a bonnet where the light is reflecting back to you and shows every mark/blemish 

But can it be partially painted without a difference in shade between the old and new coat? This pearl paint seems complex enough to be hard to believe they can make part of the hood match the sorrounding area.

40 minutes ago, M4rcell said:

But can it be partially painted without a difference in shade between the old and new coat? This pearl paint seems complex enough to be hard to believe they can make part of the hood match the sorrounding area.

I think P-K means they need to paint the whole panel so any slight colour variation is masked by the panel gap. This was actually normal procedure years ago for any repair, before paint matching got good enough to make it unnecessary ... except for pearl (and maybe some metallic) paints.

54 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

I think P-K means they need to paint the whole panel so any slight colour variation is masked by the panel gap. This was actually normal procedure years ago for any repair, before paint matching got good enough to make it unnecessary ... except for pearl (and maybe some metallic) paints.

Yes I was told that the 2 lines where the hood breaks can work instead of the panel gap, makes sense to me, unless the unevenness is too significant. Not sure how pro some needs to be to make it work. All this because of a single rock chip...

1 hour ago, M4rcell said:

All this because of a single rock chip...

Yes. You need to realise that a car is transportation and when traveling at speed anything it hits can cause damage. Your OCD level decides if you A. Ignore it, B. Just touch it up, C. Want it 'perfectly' restored. Cost and aggravation proportional to A B C.

In a year or so you probably won't even notice this sort of damage. I've traded/sold 18 month old cars and the dealer/buyer has spotted several chips I'd never noticed. If you want to keep it in showroom condition leave it in the garage out of harms way and take the bus or train.

I'm not a painter, but hear plenty of stories from our Bodyshop boys, I think that will need a full paint, I don't think you can blend pearl paint very easily. With standard paints it is very common to "flick" and blend the new paint onto the panel, but not with pearl 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links