Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Usb socket in rear.

tumpboy

Given how cheap a usb socket with switchable voltmeter is, I thought I'd install one in the back of my centre armrest. This is for rear passengers benefit, but also allows me to check the charge of ancillary Battery. 12v at rest then 14v with engine running, good to know? 

Also checked it charges my phone and is disconnected by switch. Blue led voltmeter matches ambient lighting, well pleased!

• Like 3

Do you have pictures? 🙂

29 minutes ago, hind said:

Do you have pictures? 🙂

I'll take some tomorrow for you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tumpboy said:

I'll take some tomorrow for you?

And the wiring please.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tumpboy said:

Given how cheap a usb socket with switchable voltmeter is, I thought I'd install one in the back of my centre armrest. This is for rear passengers benefit, but also allows me to check the charge of ancillary battery. 12v at rest then 14v with engine running, good to know? 

Also checked it charges my phone and is disconnected by switch. Blue led voltmeter matches ambient lighting, well pleased!

21 hours ago, tumpboy said:

Given how cheap a usb socket with switchable voltmeter is, I thought I'd install one in the back of my centre armrest. This is for rear passengers benefit, but also allows me to check the charge of ancillary battery. 12v at rest then 14v with engine running, good to know? 

uIMG_20240321_142009338.thumb.jpg.dfab54feb6295622422094ef03ac0ae5.jpgIMG_20240321_142543677.thumb.jpg.1f6f7c148472ec79cf925a74162b5c04.jpgIMG_20240321_142100482.thumb.jpg.05b5b0525f9907076d06e04b5420b13b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Showed location of socket, it can be mounted higher up but then cables need lengthening. Voltages shown are at rest and with engine running. 

Haven't tried pd fast charge but usb works ok.

I ran cables supplied under carpet to the Battery tray then extended up to Battery terminals.

• Like 4

So it's always on? Even when car is totally off?

17 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I installed mine like that as it means I can plug in a solar charger or my noco trickle charger

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RickyC said:

No it is switchable, so is only on, on demand! First photo shows it before I've switched it on!

• Like 1

Just now, tumpboy said:

No it is switchable, so is only on, on demand! First photo shows it before I've switched it on!

The switch is to the right of display.

7 minutes ago, Gren said:

I installed mine like that as it means I can plug in a solar charger or my noco trickle charger

To charge Battery through usb socket you mean?

I like the dual USB options.  I think with the new Yaris I shall be on the market for new USB cables though I do have some adaptors.

3 hours ago, tumpboy said:

uIMG_20240321_142009338.thumb.jpg.dfab54feb6295622422094ef03ac0ae5.jpgIMG_20240321_142543677.thumb.jpg.1f6f7c148472ec79cf925a74162b5c04.jpgIMG_20240321_142100482.thumb.jpg.05b5b0525f9907076d06e04b5420b13b.jpg

Nice neat job! 

15 hours ago, tumpboy said:

To charge battery through usb socket you mean?

I fitted a standard cig lighter 12v socket, and have the adapter for my noco charger so I can charge through the socket. I bought the socket with fuse and wires so just needed to fit directly to the Battery

Good job 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 4:42 PM, Gren said:

If I buy a noco can I use it to charge auxiliary Battery via usb socket? ie reverse charging!

No because USB socket is not hardwired to the Battery and the electronic circuit inside (which converts 12V to 5V) doesn't allow reverse energy flow.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tumpboy said:

If I buy a noco can I use it to charge auxiliary battery via usb socket? ie reverse charging!

I mean to use the noco as a Battery pack and using usb out, can I connect to my new usb socket, wired direct to aux Battery. Hence topping up charge? Anyone know?

No, you cannot push energy into USB outlet.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:17 AM, Gren said:

I fitted a standard cig lighter 12v socket, and have the adapter for my noco charger so I can charge through the socket. I bought the socket with fuse and wires so just needed to fit directly to the battery. 

A female 12v charger socket direct to Battery. Then noco as a Battery pack feeding 12v out via male connection, is that what you're doing?

1 hour ago, tumpboy said:

A female 12v charger socket direct to battery. Then noco as a battery pack feeding 12v out via male connection, is that what you're doing?

Ok after researching on-line I now accept that power pack will not recharge a 12v Battery. I have to research mains chargers and leads to connect to aux Battery?

If you already connected this voltmeter/charger there, why not extend the wires from it to a separate 12V socket placed, let's say underneath this one, which in turn can be used as power input connector? 🙂 It will double as 12V power source for the rear seats.

You can get ready made twin sockets.

12v.thumb.jpg.c0425c6e5b612016c904afc0b05a4858.jpg

Or a less compact version with a separate isolation switch.

12vb.thumb.jpg.75972e63bf8d1a3259ec872012603ade.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 1:13 PM, tumpboy said:

A female 12v charger socket direct to battery. Then noco as a battery pack feeding 12v out via male connection, is that what you're doing?

Yes, I have a female 12v socket direct (via fuse) to the Battery, so it's live all the time.  NOCO sells an adaptor (GC003 x-connect) to allow their charger to charge the Battery via my 12v socket.    Ctek also sells similar accessories for their chargers.

Have a look at this post in a different thread...

I used a kit like this one, but check it has M8-sized ring tags.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:38 PM, tumpboy said:

Ok after researching on-line I now accept that power pack will not recharge a 12v battery. I have to research mains chargers and leads to connect to aux battery?

I have gone the ctek route after seeing my standing voltage had dropped to 11.8v. I put it on charge, started with 3 lights, half hour to 4 lights, 2 hours total, fully charged. 12.6 v showing on voltmeter. 

Will check tomorrow to see what voltage is? I've also established I have the mutlu Battery 35ah? Given I have the excel with all the toys, surely the yuasa 45ah Battery should be the standard?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links