Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Usb socket in rear.

tumpboy

3 hours ago, tumpboy said:

2 hours total

So in other words, you started from 20-30% SOT and you finished at 100% 2h later pumping in no more than 10Ah. So your Battery retains no more than 40% of its original capacity, and more likely around 20-30% 😉 mine does the same

10 hours ago, hind said:

So in other words, you started from 20-30% SOT and you finished at 100% 2h later pumping in no more than 10Ah. So your battery retains no more than 40% of its original capacity, and more likely around 20-30% 😉 mine does the same

So what's the solution? My car is 7 months old and I've fallen to Battery angst! Do I consult with "honest Eddie" the Toyota man?

Do you plan to leave a car unused for more than a week? If yes, then either

a) have jump starter ready

b) go to the dealership and request 12V Battery condition test in terms of the capacity

c) buy Yuasa Battery replacement 

I don't leave my car for that long so I'm just using it. Still I'll raise the issue on yearly checkup (the Battery failed once already).

1 hour ago, hind said:

Do you plan to leave a car unused for more than a week? If yes, then either

a) have jump starter ready

b) go to the dealership and request 12V battery condition test in terms of the capacity

c) buy Yuasa battery replacement 

I don't leave my car for that long so I'm just using it. Still I'll raise the issue on yearly checkup (the battery failed once already).

Thanks for reply. It's only through reading this forum I became aware of possible Battery problems. I will certainly monitor this and push for yuasa when it goes in for service. Wearing my "Where's my free Battery upgrade"? t-shirt might do it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tumpboy said:

Thanks for reply. It's only through reading this forum I became aware of possible battery problems. I will certainly monitor this and push for yuasa when it goes in for service. Wearing my "Where's my free battery upgrade"? t-shirt might do it?

I asked Toyota garage I have used for the last 20 years to fit a yuasa 45Ahr Battery in my yaris cross and I made it clear that I was happy to pay.

They declined and said they would not undertake any work which departed from the standard spec for the car although they did fit some leads so that I can charge the 12 volt Battery.

22 minutes ago, Chas G said:

departed from the standard spec for the car

45Ah LN0 Yuasa matches the specs 🙂 I've posted the screenshot from the user manual which states the 12V Battery requirements. They were probably unaware or ignorant.

Found it once more for you 🙂 

image.thumb.png.a5b3084a647e69e0f4290b8a504cdeaa.png

So to sum up the facts:

1. Central Degassing type 12V

2. Case size matches

3. 20HR capacity or greater

4. Ventilation type calcium Battery

5. With handle

YBX5202 matches all of them 🙂 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, hind said:

45Ah LN0 Yuasa matches the specs 🙂 I've posted the screenshot from the user manual which states the 12V battery requirements. They were probably unaware or ignorant.

I have checked my voltage after fully charging it yesterday. Today it was 12.2v before starting the engine.(Drop of .4v overnight ) It rose to 14.4 v while running, it fell to 12.4v when I switched off. Only 5 minutes run time which proves the charging system is ok. It's the potential failure of the mutlu that bothers me? 

You will change it if it fails 🙂 in the meantime just enjoy the car 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Toyota dealers won't use non-Toyota parts, probably a condition of their franchise or something.

My advice is just get a modest portable jump starter and leave it somewhere still accessible in the car when the Battery goes (i.e. not the boot!), check its charge every 6 months or so, and leave things as they are.

When the 12v Battery does eventually die, you can jump start it then take to Halfords or something to get the Yuasa Battery and even have them fit it if you want.

I've been doing that for the past 3 years and still haven't had the 12v battery fail :laugh: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Toyota dealers won't use non-Toyota parts, probably a condition of their franchise or something.

My advice is just get a modest portable jump starter and leave it somewhere still accessible in the car when the battery goes (i.e. not the boot!), check its charge every 6 months or so, and leave things as they are.

When the 12v battery does eventually die, you can jump start it then take to Halfords or something to get the Yuasa battery and even have them fit it if you want.

I've been doing that for the past 3 years and still haven't had the 12v battery fail :laugh: 

This car is my second hybrid, my previous car being a 20 plate y20 Yaris which I had for 3 years. Oblivious to this issue, and trouble free !

Is mutlu a Toyota brand then?

I'm happy now to pop the charger on as and when and hopefully the recondition function will correct the shortfall?

No, but also yes in the same way Bosch, Valeo, Textar etc. are not Toyota brands but make stuff for Toyota.

Mutlu are just another in a long list of third party manufacturers who make stuff for Toyota, that becomes Toyota branded.

It's like how Heinz make baked beans for almost everyone to the specs requested, and so get branded for that company.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links