Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rear bumper hit last night

antoC

My neighbour hit my 2016 rear bumper lastnite, he doesnt want to go through insurance as tbh i dont think he has any. how much would this cost do you think. i went to a body shop and they said the guts of a £1000, he wants to take it to a friend of his for another quote is it worthwhile letting him do this? obvsiously ill be the one driving it

thanks.

bumper.jpeg

bumper2.jpeg

bumper3.jpeg

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, antoC said:

he wants to take it to a friend of his for another quote

If you take it, you are able to see what the friend/friend's workplace is like, etc. Will the replacement be new or used? Painting?

At the end of the day, it's your choice.

• Like 1

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably he wants you to take it to a friend of his?

If you take it, you are able to see what the friend/friend's workplace is like, etc. Will the replacement be new or used? Painting?

all replacements will need painted. i cant find any bumpers out there online. if he has no insurance and doesnt cough up the 1000 or so to make it the way it was ill have no choice but to report him to the police and i really dont want to do that.

• Like 1

Hi Anto, Obviously in the interests of neighbourly harmony it would seem like, well OK it wouldn't hurt for his mate to give you a quote. However the first thing I would do is ask him what does his friend do for a living. Now if he is a professional sprayer then no problem but how about if he is just somebody that has done a bit of spraying here and there.

This Is your car that he has hit its not your concern if he is insured or not its his responsibility regardless to put it right. Its possible that he can say this guy is blinding at spraying cars but if so go and check out the cars he has done,or in the process of doing.

If you just let him take the car with a don't worry I'll sort it for you attitude then if you get it back and its not acceptable then you have accepted him doing it and will invalidate any potential insurance claim to put ot right.IMO don't do it unless his mate is a legitimate sprayer or connected with a garage.:smile:

• Like 1

You can check online if he is insured, just put his registration number in to

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Parts alone will be £450 plus painting and labour. Every day I get asked for parts prices as the other party "wants to pay" .........They never do 

• Like 3

thanks guys, it was a brief phone call, ive told him i want the car lookin exactly the way it was yesterday so if he is uninsured its likely he will have to cough up the 1000 or so itll cost or ill have no choice but to involve the police

2 hours ago, antoC said:

he doesnt want to go through insurance as tbh i dont think he has any

As far as I know  every car must have compulsory insurance?

Is it possible that alcohol was involved...

Aye, it's a bit tricky when a neighbour damages your car,of course you want it fixed right, but not to alienate them if they are ok otherwise.

A totally honest person would pay for any damage that they caused, but so many don't even own up to it in the first place.

Did he tell you he'd done it? Or did you find out?

But tbh any arrangement other than you taking it to where you choose for repairs, and him paying up front for it,or on his insurance is very risky.

Like Parts-King says," they never do"

1 hour ago, avetoy said:

As far as I know  every car must have compulsory insurance?

Is it possible that alcohol was involved...

1 hour ago, avetoy said:

Sorry messed up avetoy's quote, but yes insurance is compulsory,it doesn't mean everyone has it though.

Having said that if you can get him to pay your repairer up front, that avoids involving your insurance too, even though not your fault, which usually costs one way or another.

• Like 1

I once had a T25 and a woman I knew backed into the rear bumper in my own yard. Since the car belonged to the woman's in-laws, her husband also wanted the insurance company not to be told. Of course I did not agree and contacted my insurance company and told them what had happened. After that, everything went fine and I was able to take my car to the repair shop recommended by the insurance company. 

The insurance companies then settled the compensation issue among themselves.

• Like 1

he said he has insurance but not on the van he was driving at the time. no there was no drink involved, it happened to me a coouple years back a kid hit back of my passat but it was that beat up it was just a scratch and i told him not to worry about it after he called to my door. i seen them outside lastnite looking at the damage and went out, so chances are they prob wudve called too, but im sure they werent expecting it to cost the guts of a grand.

hes calling soon so he has 2 choices pay the repairs in full or ill have no choice but to notify the police. 

btw i forgot to mention even though its possible a patch up job cud be possible on this which is what i assume he wants , the answer to that is a firm no. any patch up job will only cost me money in the long term as it would likely break in the futre. i paid 9k for this car only a few months ago it only has 65k on it iv did 4k

• Like 1

Sounds like you're thinking clearly on this, just don't fall for the old " you get it fixed and I'll pay" old nonsense either.

I did once, and endured a long saga of tales of woe, I have no money, the cat died, aliens abducted and probed me, I got arrested, I am now homeless etc etc.

Finished up with a quarter of the repair costs in £20 payments months apart, not worth bothering with really.

I believe they have a saying in some American states,in god we trust, others pay cash.

• Like 1

yeah he says lastnite u get it fixed ill pay for it! 

maybe the guy was high !

hes not exactly a neighbour but its a tightnit community and i dont wanna ring cops on anyone but if hes driving about with no insurance he gonna have to man up and take accountability.

11 minutes ago, antoC said:

yeah he says lastnite u get it fixed ill pay for it! 

maybe the guy was high !

hes not exactly a neighbour but its a tightnit community and i dont wanna ring cops on anyone but if hes driving about with no insurance he gonna have to man up and take accountability.

That old chestnut, I'll pay for it.😆

Mind you better than when I had a hunchback reverse into my parked up nearly new car at another time, I wasn't there, but a good neighbour told me that they saw it happen.

I went to the guy who did it, and he denied it, saying it can't have been me, there was no damage to mine.(Funny things happen to people's brains when they hit something with a car)

Would not give me his insurance details,so no choice but to ask the police to obtain them for me , they did so on the strength of what my witness neighbor said to back me up.

This was also a "tightnit"community and the guy who hit my car hated me from that point on, blocking access, spreading false rumours, and aggressive staring every time I drove by .

A few days later the witness good neighbour's car was covered in brake fluid ruining the paintwork,no proof who did that, but balance of probabilities and all that.

So yes I understand it can be complicated, but maybe this one will pay for repairs up front,if he is sensible, you could offer to take him to the repair shop of your choice to demonstrate your honesty, so that he knows you are not asking for more than the repair cost.

• Like 2

Well I know those bumper lights are dear enough as I have one cracked in my 2014 avensis and the price 2 change it is crazy plus hard 2 get these in car breakers as they did not make much of these cars so Im just driving it around the way it is and seems 2 pass the MOT ok so happy days 

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That old chestnut, I'll pay for it.😆

Mind you better than when I had a hunchback reverse into my parked up nearly new car at another time, I wasn't there, but a good neighbour told me that they saw it happen.

I went to the guy who did it, and he denied it, saying it can't have been me, there was no damage to mine.(Funny things happen to people's brains when they hit something with a car)

Would not give me his insurance details,so no choice but to ask the police to obtain them for me , they did so on the strength of what my witness neighbor said to back me up.

This was also a "tightnit"community and the guy who hit my car hated me from that point on, blocking access, spreading false rumours, and aggressive staring every time I drove by .

A few days later the witness good neighbour's car was covered in brake fluid ruining the paintwork,no proof who did that, but balance of probabilities and all that.

So yes I understand it can be complicated, but maybe this one will pay for repairs up front,if he is sensible, you could offer to take him to the repair shop of your choice to demonstrate your honesty, so that he knows you are not asking for more than the repair cost.

So can I assume the hunchback that hit your car was a Quasi moto:biggrin:

you have an insurance ? if so then you don't care, call your insurance and let them deal with that thing to be fixed and pay. from my experience we are talking here about 5k$ + .

update, i brought it to a bodyshop new bumper ordered and my neighbour has paid the bill already just shy of £900.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, antoC said:

update, i brought it to a bodyshop new bumper ordered and my neighbour has paid the bill already just shy of £900.

Great outcome, good to hear of an honest deal.

Thanks for letting us know.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:08 PM, avensis_2018 said:

you have an insurance ? if so then you don't care, call your insurance and let them deal with that thing to be fixed and pay. from my experience we are talking here about 5k$ + .

Problem with your solution, it has been stated the other party did not have insurance on the impact car.  In this instance own insurance would certainly pay though for £900-£1000 they probably would not push the other driver to refund and you would end out of pocket. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links