Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking sensor replacenment

Corollanutter

I'm just about the replace a rear parking sensor that got damaged by an idiot at my local jetwash (last time I'm going there - or having a  jet wash...). Does anyone know if these need to be calibrated or set up in some way to the vehicle? And if so, is this a dealer-only job or can it be be done via Carista or similar? 

HI Chris, in most cases, replacing a parking sensor won't require calibration by a dealer.

Calibration is usually necessary after repairs or replacements that involve moving the sensors or the bumper itself. This ensures the sensors are aligned correctly and give accurate readings.Some vehicles might require a scan tool for calibration, which is typically a dealer job. However, many don't.Tools like Carista might work for certain car models, but it depends on the manufacturer and software compatibility.

See if it mentions anything in your car's manual: This will tell you if calibration is required after replacing the sensor and if there's a specific procedure to follow.

Contact Carista support to see if they have a list of compatible vehicles for parking sensor calibration through their tool.

If you're unsure about DIY calibration, get a garage to do it. They'll have the necessary tools etc to ensure the sensors work correct

Look in the Toyota Corolla Manual for a section on replacing parking sensors or consult the general maintenance instructions. The manual should mention if calibration is necessary.

Carista is a handy tool for some car models, it's unlikely to be compatible with calibrating parking sensors on a 2019 Toyota Corolla. Carista's support should be able to confirm this.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

Easiest way is to fit it and find out I guess 🙂

And the answer is - it needs setting up the the vehicle. The warning pinger sounds and the Parking Assist Fault warning is displayed on the dash - just the same as with the broken sensor. I'm guessing each sensor is on the CAN bus and the sensors need their ID registering (or something like that).

4 hours ago, Bper said:

HI Chris, in most cases, replacing a parking sensor won't require calibration by a dealer.

Calibration is usually necessary after repairs or replacements that involve moving the sensors or the bumper itself. This ensures the sensors are aligned correctly and give accurate readings.Some vehicles might require a scan tool for calibration, which is typically a dealer job. However, many don't.Tools like Carista might work for certain car models, but it depends on the manufacturer and software compatibility.

See if it mentions anything in your car's manual: This will tell you if calibration is required after replacing the sensor and if there's a specific procedure to follow.

Contact Carista support to see if they have a list of compatible vehicles for parking sensor calibration through their tool.

If you're unsure about DIY calibration, get a garage to do it. They'll have the necessary tools etc to ensure the sensors work correct

Look in the Toyota Corolla Manual for a section on replacing parking sensors or consult the general maintenance instructions. The manual should mention if calibration is necessary.

Carista is a handy tool for some car models, it's unlikely to be compatible with calibrating parking sensors on a 2019 Toyota Corolla. Carista's support should be able to confirm this.Hope this helps.:smile:

Thanks Bob. It seems that Carista can't fix this one. I'm digging further. At worst case, the car is in for annual service in two weeks time, so I can get them to do it then. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

Thanks Bob. It seems that Carista can't fix this one. I'm digging further. At worst case, the car is in for annual service in two weeks time, so I can get them to do it then. 

If it needs calibrating then this may be chargeable. I had my bumper repaired a couple of years ago and the body shop needed to recalibrate costing around £200 from memory but I was not paying so not 100% on this

• Like 1

Just to tie off this thread - my very kind nephew who runs a car repair business tried his OBD scanners to see if the new sensor coud be programmed to the car. His expensive Snap-on tool didn't do it, but his much cheaper one had the neccessary menus and we managed to register and "calibrate" the sensor. All is now working fine. The method is on You Tube (but for a US spec Toyota Sienna) at: 

- but the menus were identical on the scanner we used on my Corolla. It took about 6 minutes once we had the right tool connected. I wonder how much a dealer charges?

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links