Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint missing on the back of my IQ roof

Jikky

Hi,my IQ has paint missing on the back of the roof,just primer,it is not visible untill I open the boot slightly,has anybody noticed the same thing,is it an IQ thing?,,its in an annoying place as I have to remove the tailgate to get to it to paint it!!

Many thanks.

iq rust.jpeg

• Sad 1

Resprayed by a previous owner?

• Like 1

Hi John,sometimes, manufacturers might leave out paint on unseen areas like the underside of the roof to save on production costs. This is a possibility, though not a guarantee but it does happen.

It all depends if you can live with it or not .You could remove the tailgate which is a lot of work but if the primer is still in good condition use a small brush and paint the area. If it isn't rusted or scratched I would just leave it. If it can only be seen when you lift the tailgate I wouldn't worry about it. Irritating of course.:smile:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PCM said:

Resprayed by a previous owner?

I was thinking that,but it seems I will never know!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi John,sometimes, manufacturers might leave out paint on unseen areas like the underside of the roof to save on production costs. This is a possibility, though not a guarantee but it does happen.

It all depends if you can live with it or not .You could remove the tailgate which is a lot of work but if the primer is still in good condition use a small brush and paint the area. If it isn't rusted or scratched I would just leave it. If it can only be seen when you lift the tailgate I wouldn't worry about it. Irritating of course.:smile:

I will go that way with the touch up paint,looking at removing the tailgate is too much of a big job,and very heavy!!!!! 

many thanks

• Like 2

I happened to stumble upon this issue earlier on one of the Facebook groups. If I can find it again, I will post a link if the forum rules permit (do they?). You're not alone Jikky, it has also happened to that car, and it had silver paint.

One hypothesis was that the bristles of an automatic car wash had caught the paint in that area, owing to the right-angle of the panel. Another reason, added to the cursed white paint, that I won't be taking mine through a car wash again 😞

These iQs and their paintwork, eh?!... 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 74hct04 said:

if the forum rules permit

Don't usually publicise other forums, Facebook groups, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Understood, thanks FROSTYBALLS. Aside from the aformentioned hypothesis, I don't think there's any more to add from the article in question anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2024 at 5:37 PM, Jikky said:

Hi,my IQ has paint missing on the back of the roof,just primer,it is not visible untill I open the boot slightly,has anybody noticed the same thing,is it an IQ thing?,,its in an annoying place as I have to remove the tailgate to get to it to paint it!!

Many thanks.

iq rust.jpeg

Seems Im not alone with this,my friends Honda civic has the same problem,thinking mabe the robot painters have trouble getting into tight spaces!!!!

civic paint missing.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links