Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How often do you drive your Yaris Hybrid?

Max_Headroom

There are way too may threads/posts about this for it just to be a battery manufacture issue it would be interesting to see how long members have regularly left their car parked for days with no problems.

I posted the above in the main 12v Battery thread as i believe the flat 12v Battery problem is not caused by bad batteries but by how some owners use/dont use their cars,  i think it would be of interest to potential buyers if hybrid owners who dont drive often could let us know how long they regularly  leave their cars parked with no charger attached and if they have had any flat Battery issues in the past.

If you could include the age of the car, time spent driving, time spent in READY mode, weekly mileage  and how often you drive it would be a great help thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

weekly mileage

Should be: weekly drive duration 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hind said:

My daily Ready mode this month is 1hr 15min. In February it averaged 1hr 10min.

During the week there was a 20 minutes trip each morning and again in the evening to drop off or pick up from the school bus.  I was static for half that time.

I think many people coming from the traditional ICE automatically switch off when coming to a stop.  If someone remains in the car, it is better to leave it in Ready mode.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I posted the above in the main 12v battery thread as i believe the flat 12v battery problem is not caused by bad batteries but by how some owners use/dont use their cars,  i think it would be of interest to potential buyers if hybrid owners who dont drive often could let us know how long they regularly  leave their cars parked with no charger attached and if they have had any flat battery issues in the past.

If you could include the age of the car, weekly mileage and how often you drive it would be a great help.

I don't think it's just one thing - My current theory is that a lot of the batteries were marginal to begin with and not in great shape, probably due to being sat around during covid or something, and when they got to people, those that didn't drive much (IIRC one poster immediately went on a 3 month holiday after taking possession of the car! :eek: ) didn't give them a chance to recover so they just continued to degrade and eventually fail, while people like me who immediately put it to work gave the Battery a chance to recover with a good strong charge.

Likely some of the batteries weren't so bad, so even with the low usage, were able to keep them going for a bit longer.

I think the Yuasa is still the way to go though as it seems to just have better degradation resistance than the OE Battery.

That said, mine's coming up to 3 years on the OE Battery with no issues, but I do drive a lot! (Or I should say, am stuck in slow moving traffic a lot :laugh: )

• Like 6

3 hours ago, hind said:

I have asked admin to make an edit to my OP to include driving time, ready mode etc.

If members could answer the questions below with an average figure it would be a greet help - 

How often do you drive.

Time spent driving per journey or week.

Weekly mileage.

Time spent in READY mode.

Do you use a charger?

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

That said, mine's coming up to 3 years on the OE battery with no issues, but I do drive a lot! (Or I should say, am stuck in slow moving traffic a lot :laugh: )

Could you break that down into an average -

How often do you drive.

Weekly mileage.

Do you use a charger?

Erm, lessee...

How often: Every week day; Sometimes on weekends (Which are usually long, runs 1-2 hours up and then down again), but a lot less lately.

Time spent must be a good 3-4 hours a weekday depending on traffic. Weekend days varies wildly between zero and 6 depending on :whistling1: :naughty: 

Weekly mileage, I guess 150-200 miles depending on work, and eventful weekends can add another 3-400 worst case but that's unusual, more usually 100-200.

Don't use a charger, although I keep a noco jumpstarter in the car now juuust in case (I really should check the charge level in that...)

I do think the 2 hour drive I went on when I first picked up the car really helped the Battery though :laugh: 

I think my normal use case for the car is nearly ideal for it - It's mostly a mix of urban and fast A-roads which lets the hybrid system really strut its stuff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

My daily Ready mode this month is 1hr 15min.

How often do you drive. - at least 2 sessions 5 days per week

Time spent driving per journey or week.  - at least 20 minutes

Weekly mileage.- 225 miles 

Time spent in READY mode. - 7 hours per week 

Do you use a charger? - yes, but no more than monthly

• Like 2

1. Monday to Friday = 2 x 40 minutes per day, plus sometimes 2 x 50 minutes drive at the weekend

2. 6 - 8 hours per week

3. 250-300 miles per week

4. Approximately 6 - 7 hours a week.

5. Do not use a charger, but do have a Noco in the car.

• Like 2

Mk 3 hybrid 2018

How often do you drive.

Gets used twice a week, sometimes less as it’s not our primary vehicle.

20 or 30 minutes max per week.

Weekly mileage.

8 / 10 mile’s ish.

Seconds 🤔

Do you use a charger?

Plugged in overnight once a week on a smart charger, we still have the OEM original Battery fitted, but had a LED charger lead fitted to the Battery which is accessible from rear foot well, when it goes red it gets plugged in.

On reflection it was a poor choice of vehicle for us, should have bought a small standard combustion engine car given its lack of use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How often do you drive.

> daily or almost daily

> around 5 hours per week

Weekly mileage.

> ~120 km = ~70 miles

> just the minimum needed to strap in 😉 

Do you use a charger?

> every time after leaving for more than 5 days

Car failed to start after being left for 2.5 week. Battery is stock Mutlu. 

• Like 2

How often do you drive - between 2 to 4 times per week 

Time spent driving per journey or week - normally 2 journeys of 8.5 miles each way/week, 1 or 2 of 3 miles each way and once a month longer journey of 15 miles each way.

Weekly mileage - 50 miles

Time spent in READY mode - only when car is moving. I turn off as soon as I stop.

Do you use a charger? Yes Ctek 5 after every journey.

• Like 3

How often do you drive - at least once every 8-10 days

Time spent driving per journey or week - 20 to 30 minutes per journey, but I can do multiple journeys per outing (i.e., four 20-30 minute journeys yesterday for example)

Weekly mileage - around 40 miles

Time spent in READY mode - None

Do you use a charger? - No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

How often do you drive - at least once every 8-10 days

Time spent driving per journey or week - 20 to 30 minutes per journey, but I can do multiple journeys per outing (i.e., four 20-30 minute journeys yesterday for example)

Weekly mileage - around 40 miles

Time spent in READY mode - None

That’s good news Bob so the Yaris excel stands for 8 days no Battery problems ?

@Countryside I think I worked out when I was checking the voltage every day that my Yaris Cross was pretty safe if I left it untouched for 10-14 days but I accept while the voltage might be OK, without a load tester, no way of being sure.

I recall in the 70's having difficulty starting my MG midget. I charged up the Battery but it was still slow to turn over so I took the car to a motorist shop, those were the days,  and he put a load tester on it and confirmed the Battery was on its last legs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryside said:

That’s good news Bob so the Yaris excel stands for 8 days no battery problems ?

Correct.

40 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Correct.

That’s great news  

2020 MK4 Yaris

Time driven 1.6 Hours to 3.7 Hours a week can spend 2 or 3 days not in use.

Milage 40 miles some weeks others weeks 105 miles or yearly 4000 Miles.

Dont use ready mode for charging as I live on a hill so traction Battery if fully charged once I clime it.

Use a charger as required & before batteery voltage drop to 12.2 volts.

Battery is just over one year old.

• Like 2

How often do you drive - 6 days a week

Time spent driving per journey or week - 30-40 mins a day

Weekly mileage - 40-50 miles?

Time spent in READY mode - 1 hour a week

Mine failed to start when I left it for 3 days over the Christmas period. That was before I was leaving it in READY mode however. Recent Hybrid Health Check determined all OK.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jules88 said:

Hybrid Health Check

Isn't this for hybrid Battery only, and not the 12V Battery which failed in your case? 🙂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hind said:

Isn't this for hybrid battery only, and not the 12V battery which failed in your case? 🙂 

You are right, sorry - big d'oh moment there ☺️

• Like 1

Yaris GR Sport: most days for around 20 minutes.

Yaris Cross: 2-3 times per week for around 4 hours.

Never used a charger on any of our hybrids. My Gen.3 Yaris hybrid was still using the original 12V Battery when I traded it in at 8 years old/100k.

Our Cross is 2 years old, never had a problem.

I'm starting to wonder if people are using accessory mode (ON, but NO READY LIGHT). That will quickly kill the 12V Battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading the above, i think many of you could just get along  with a bicycle...😁

Did 25,000 km in less than a year owing the car.

No issues yet, with any of the batteries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About 210 miles a week, 4 outings a week, about 10000 a year for two years and never had a problem with the 12v Battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just done a use/voltage comparison.   On Wednesday I had two start/run cycles with each run being 2.5hrs.

Thursday three start/run cycles totalling 70 minutes.

The same interval after stopping for the day gave a voltage 0.1v lower after the 70 minutes in Ready mode.

I think we can see a pattern.  Someone driving for an hour or more to an airport is less likely to have a flat Battery after the holiday compared to someone who has done a few short trips and then left it at home for the same period. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links