Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Aygo Noise?

Alimar

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2009 aygo yesterday and it's lovely! The only thing is I noticed a whining noise on the way home, sounds like maybe the alternator? It seems to happen once I hit about 30mph. It doesn't do it when idling or when I rev it while stationary in neutral. I might just be being paranoid but I just want to make sure if it's normal or not. Is there anybody out there who might be able to help please? I've put a YouTube link below:

Many thanks,

Alimar 

Hi Adam, a whining noise around 30 mph isn't normal and the first thought would be the alternator.A failing alternator can cause a whining noise that gets higher pitched with increasing engine speed. But the fact it doesn't happen when stationary or in neutral It doesn't seem like this would be the problem.

it could also be a sign of a problem with the wheel bearings or drive belt. Try a couple of things, test it at different speeds, If the whining gets significantly worse as you go faster, it strengthens the case for the alternator 

Listen for changes when turning, If the noise changes significantly when you turn corners, a wheel bearing issue becomes more likely. If none of these make any difference then its less likely the wheel bearings, However components in the drivetrain like the differential or transmission could also generate whining noises under load when in gear and moving. These noises might not be present in neutral because the drivetrain isn't under the same pressure. 

Did you not test drive the car before you brought it as you should have heard the noise and i assume you purchased it from a private seller.

I would get it checked by a garage to confirm the problem.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

Thank you. I did take it for a test drive but didn't hear it then. I'll take it to a garage to get checked.

• Like 1

Fixed! It was the wheel bearing.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it sorted Alimar, I read the post after having the same problem about a year, hard to hear under 30, but over especially motorway, a repetitive boaring noise, every second or less, both front wheel bearings replaced and that sorted it.

Enjoy your Aygo 🙋

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links