Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water in boot well

Roy124

When I got the spare wheel out I found water in the wheel well.  No sign of ingress as everything above was quite dry.

The are two large bungs, not quite at the lowest point.  I removed these and drained the water out.  About an inch below these bung holes is something black, not sure what this is.  Does the drain go to outside or to a void?

• Like 1

After owning my old Auris for a few weeks I found water in the spare wheel well, drained it via the bung like your Yaris, I expect that's a design feature. The black is probably the vehicle under tray?

Water never came back - I put it down to the valeter at the garage I bought from being overly enthusiastic with their jet washer.

• Like 1

@ThomasL thanks.  First time I have looked that deep 😀.  I certainly jet wash and did so last week,  especially under the wheel wells using a long probe.   I might have done it.  

• Like 2

Hi Roy, If it was me just to be sure its a one off l would go over the car again with the pressure washer but not touch the underneath and see if any water is present in the spare wheel well. If no water is getting in I would then put the jet wash probe Under the car again and see how If any water is getting in.As far as the the black object you see below the drain plugs could be a sound deadening material or a protective cover for the underbody. It's unlikely to be part of the drainage system.Hope some of this helps:smile:

Bob,  thanks. I will be jacking the car up today to have a look.  I won't bother with a leak check as we are trading in soon.

I will try and see what is below the boot.

• Like 1

I had a look under the car.  There is extensive plastic liners under the boot and main body.  They will obviously give protection from stone chips and mud or snow.  What I don't know is how well the metal work survives long term as you can't see it or hose it down.

• Like 1

Hi Roy,you're right,plastic liners under the car can be a double edged sword. The good points of these plastic liners are they offer protection.They definitely shield the metal underneath from road debris like stone chips, dirt, mud, and even salt depending on the location. This helps prevent rust and corrosion. Plastic liners can dampen road noise, making for a quieter ride.

As you mentioned, the downside is that they hide the metal underneath. You can't easily inspect for existing rust or damage, and trapped moisture could accelerate corrosion if not looked at.

Hosing down the underneath becomes difficult, and any dirt, debris, or moisture that gets trapped behind the liners can stay there and cause problems.

I don't know if you can remove the liners one a year, say to clean or drill some drain holes in them if they don't already have them. Apparently some of these liners do have drainage. As you are trading it in soon it shouldn't be a problem but its worth knowing for future use.:smile:Hope this helps.

The boot liner is about 50 mm below the drain bungs with the wheel well slightly lower.  Looking outside there are a couple of higher spots for screws.  Removal would be possible and hard to replace:)

I think that if you remove those liners from under the car then in theory your car will probably fall into a higher road tax bracket. **

**For the law abiding amongst us only. 🙂

• Confused 1

Water in boot on Toyota cars is common thing and there are 3 major ways for entry, rear lights seals, air vents, welding panels seals micro cracks. 
Jet wash unless cleaned with open hatch no water can gets in. 

You’re forgetting the fourth Tony, foreign interference.  Roy, has the car had anything fitted since it was new or any repairs made at the back.

• Like 1

Don, not a thing.  If there had been a steady ingress over time,  and with the bungs in place, I would have expected a lot more water.

The towels and blankets we stow there were all dry.

PS

One of my E Class (the rusty class) had a bung each side at a low point and each a cross slit to allow water to dribble out.  On was a bit blocked to I pressed it with a screw driver and the bung dropped out.  Most of the paint dropped out too.   There was no metal at all.  The other side had a full size spare.  When I checked that side had also rusted away.  Two new panels were actually easy, and fairly cheap, to replace. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links