Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2012 rear tailgate struts and indicator lamp.

john Auris 2012 1.6 E15

Hi does anyone know a good place to buy Auris 2012 rear tailgate struts without going to a main dealer? I've phoned around the car part shops near were I live, but they didn't have the parts. I found a company called Autodoc that has a good range. Has anyone ever used this company? The  contact address is in Germany, with no telephone number. Could anyone recommend an eBay seller? My car is a 1.6 E15 older version of this car.

I also need a new wing mirror indicator lamp, does anyone know a good place to buy this? I found some different brands on eBay. Can anyone recommend a brand or seller?

Thank you. 

Whereabouts are you? I have used an Auris/Prius breaker in London with some success.

I bought wing indicator from aliexpress, slow but cheap (under a tenner). Or pay local eBay markup for a faster delivery of its urgent.

Struts from aliexpress can be cheap, but fitment and force strength can vary on past cars. I would personally avoid.

Sorry no seller names to hand.

Hi, I'm in Belfast, thanks for the information. Yeah, its probably a good idea to avoid aliexpress for the struts. Someone on the avensis  forum mentioned stablius struts, so I had a look for thoses.

Whether or not they are available for your car, I fitted a pair of Febi Bilstein tailgate struts, to my Yaris, when the originals became very "tired".

Certainly not the cheapest but they have been as good, or better, than the originals.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation, I will have a look around to see if they are available for my car.

I got some for my Mk2 Yaris from SGS Engineering - They worked okay

Thank you, I will give that company a call. 

Toyota dealer can order any part for your car and deliver on few days. Check what is the price with them first and if too high then shop autodoc or Amazon or eBay there are vendors that sells these. Autodoc are genuine and they will send you parts to you. 👍

Thank you for that information. I rang SGS Engineering, but they were closed for Easter. I checked eBay for prices, and it seems branded struts sell for about £25 each. I found 1 branded strut on Amazon for £25, if they had 2 in stock, I would have bought them. I have always found the customer service on Amazon to be good. I bought the 2 struts from the Toyota dealer for £76.

Looks like I will buy the wing mirror indicator lamp on eBay, from someone with the best feedback score.   

• Like 1

I bought a wing mirror indicator lamp on eBay for £22.

I found this helpful video on YouTube which shows how to change the wing mirror indicator lamp.   

I got Stabillus, the OEM from ZF Friedrichshafen group. They are properly damped before reaching max. Monroe is also a good choice. Other brands sometimes have no damping and jingle the tailgate strongly. 

• Like 2

That's useful information, I didn't buy the non branded struts on eBay in case they would cause problems.  

Toyota wanted £107 for the led indicator lamp. A filament lamp would have worked just as well. The unit has 3 orange LEDs, cost 60p, and a simple LED driver/ timer unit. I found 1 on eBay for £2.33. Maybe they used LEDs to justify the price.   

No timer unit just an led driver circuit. As the flashing relay will do the timing. Some even do away with the driver by just putting LEDs in series.

Yes you could swap with filament indicator i would have thought.

All indicators lamps are halogen by Koito or Philips. they last very long and no need to use non sense LED. .For the headlights bulbs, LED can make significant difference, easily 2-3x more intensity. But I only install them in Projector type because the cut off is sharp and never blind others.

• Like 1

The lights inside the indicator unit are definitely LED, here are some pictures. The larger IC looks like the LED driver circuit. You could fit a filament bulb, but this would require soldering skill and the ability to separate the transparent lens from the main body without breaking it. They are glued together. Another potential issue is the current draw of a filament bulb. I'm guessing here, but the original circuit might draw less than 100mA, and a small filament lamp like a 5 watt 501 lamp would draw 0.42 amps. 

Swapping lights would not have worked for me as the lens is broken. Hopefully the new unit should arrive soon.  

20240402_010305.jpg

20240402_015326.jpg

20240402_010631.jpg

20240402_011510.jpg

On 4/2/2024 at 3:09 AM, john Auris 2012 1.6 E15 said:

The lights inside the indicator unit are definitely LED, here are some pictures. The larger IC looks like the LED driver circuit. You could fit a filament bulb, but this would require soldering skill and the ability to separate the transparent lens from the main body without breaking it. They are glued together. Another potential issue is the current draw of a filament bulb. I'm guessing here, but the original circuit might draw less than 100mA, and a small filament lamp like a 5 watt 501 lamp would draw 0.42 amps. 

Swapping lights would not have worked for me as the lens is broken. Hopefully the new unit should arrive soon.  

20240402_010305.jpg

20240402_015326.jpg

20240402_010631.jpg

20240402_011510.jpg

You can see that one of the three leds are blown. As they are wired in series, none will work if one blows. You could replace that single led, or replace the whole indicator with a filament type.

Leds can be easily tested by applying a small voltage eg multimeter in diode test mode.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links