Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2006 VVTI 2.0 Petrol randomly cuts off

Avensis56T

It will sometimes cut off completely when am about to make a turn, but will start right back when place in park with no issues. This issues was just happening maybe twice a month but now its been happening once or twice a week. I have had this car since November last year after passing my test in October. So its my first car in the UK. Apart from the issue the car drives great, it does has a slight rough idle at times but nothing crazy. I am pretty handy with cars, I know how to change the oil, brakes, belts and etc. The things i have done already is clean the Mass air flow sensors which didn't do nothing. Any suggestions on what the issue is. The car starts up perfect all the time by the way. 

Hi Peter,the problem points towards a faulty idle air control valve the symptoms you described stalling during turns when the engine is under stress, and a rough idle at times align well with a malfunctioning IACV.

The IACV controls engine idle speed by regulating airflow. when turning, the engine requires slightly more power to maintain RPM. A faulty IACV might not be able to adjust airflow properly in response to this increased demand, causing the  engine to stall. A malfunctioning IACV can also lead to a rough idle, as airflow regulation might be inconsistent. Other possibilities like air intake issues, fuel system problems, or sensor malfunctions can't be entirely ruled out without testing. However, given the symptoms and you mentioned that you cleaned the MAF sensor which is part of the air intake system, a faulty IACV seems like the most likely culprit.Hope this helps:smile: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Peter,the problem points towards a faulty idle air control valve the symptoms you described stalling during turns when the engine is under stress, and a rough idle at times align well with a malfunctioning IACV.

The IACV controls engine idle speed by regulating airflow. when turning, the engine requires slightly more power to maintain RPM. A faulty IACV might not be able to adjust airflow properly in response to this increased demand, causing the  engine to stall. A malfunctioning IACV can also lead to a rough idle, as airflow regulation might be inconsistent. Other possibilities like air intake issues, fuel system problems, or sensor malfunctions can't be entirely ruled out without testing. However, given the symptoms and you mentioned that you cleaned the MAF sensor which is part of the air intake system, a faulty IACV seems like the most likely culprit.Hope this helps:smile: 

I was thinking IACV to be honest, hopefully thats it lol because other wise the car drives awesome has decent power the 2.0 VVTI can move when you press the accelerator but the thing that puzzle me is the check engine light is not on. I thoughi IACV fault would trip that light on?

• Like 1

The fault might not be severe enough yet, or there could be other reasons the light isn't on have you got a decent scan tool this will give you a more definitive answer on whether the IACV or another sensor is malfunctioning.:smile:

On 3/28/2024 at 9:18 PM, Bper said:

The fault might not be severe enough yet, or there could be other reasons the light isn't on have you got a decent scan tool this will give you a more definitive answer on whether the IACV or another sensor is malfunctioning.:smile:

I got one of those bluetooth phone app scan tools. Do you know how to remove the idle air control valve on this vehicle? Been searching the net but don't see no guide or video on how too 

Hi Peter,Heres some instructions for doing this but obviously I can't guarantee it will be exactly the same procedure for your model.

Locate the IACV The idle air control valve is usually mounted on or near the throttle body. It's a small cylindrical or rectangular component with an electrical connector.

Disconnect the Battery Before working on any electrical component, it's a good idea to disconnect the negative terminal of the Battery to prevent any electrical shorts.

Remove Electrical Connector, Unplug the electrical connector attached to the IACV. This may require pressing a tab or squeezing a release.

Remove Mounting Bolts, Typically, the IACV is held in place by two or more bolts. Use the appropriate socket to loosen and remove these bolts.

Detach IACV: Once the bolts are removed, carefully pull the IACV away from the throttle body. Be cautious not to damage any surrounding components.

Clean or Replace, Once the IACV is removed, you can clean it using throttle body cleaner spray and a soft brush if necessary. If the valve is faulty, you may need to replace it with a new one.

Reinstallation To reinstall, simply reverse the removal steps. Ensure that the new or cleaned IACV is properly seated and that the bolts are tightened securely. Reconnect the electrical connector and the Battery

Good luck let us know how you get on Hope this helps.:smile:.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:29 PM, Bper said:

Hi Peter,Heres some instructions for doing this but obviously I can't guarantee it will be exactly the same procedure for your model.

Locate the IACV The idle air control valve is usually mounted on or near the throttle body. It's a small cylindrical or rectangular component with an electrical connector.

Disconnect the Battery Before working on any electrical component, it's a good idea to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery to prevent any electrical shorts.

Remove Electrical Connector, Unplug the electrical connector attached to the IACV. This may require pressing a tab or squeezing a release.

Remove Mounting Bolts, Typically, the IACV is held in place by two or more bolts. Use the appropriate socket to loosen and remove these bolts.

Detach IACV: Once the bolts are removed, carefully pull the IACV away from the throttle body. Be cautious not to damage any surrounding components.

Clean or Replace, Once the IACV is removed, you can clean it using throttle body cleaner spray and a soft brush if necessary. If the valve is faulty, you may need to replace it with a new one.

Reinstallation To reinstall, simply reverse the removal steps. Ensure that the new or cleaned IACV is properly seated and that the bolts are tightened securely. Reconnect the electrical connector and the battery

Good luck let us know how you get on Hope this helps.:smile:.

After doing some research it appears my vehicle doesn't have a IACV, it has an electronic throttle body. Looks like a pain in the A** to get out lol.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,OK as it has an electronic throttle, the most likely problem could be a fault in the throttle position sensor or the electronic control module that manages the throttle operation. When turning, the throttle position needs to adjust accordingly to maintain proper engine performance. If there's a fault in the TPS or communication error with the ECM, it could lead to stalling during turns.

Given your experience with car maintenance, you might want to inspect the throttle position sensor for any signs of damage or malfunction.Also checking the wiring and connections related to the electronic throttle system could help identify any issues. If no visible problems are found, using a diagnostic tool to scan for error codes related to the throttle system as this could provide more information into the problem. :smile:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Peter,OK as it has an electronic throttle, the most likely problem could be a fault in the throttle position sensor or the electronic control module that manages the throttle operation. When turning, the throttle position needs to adjust accordingly to maintain proper engine performance. If there's a fault in the TPS or communication error with the ECM, it could lead to stalling during turns.

Given your experience with car maintenance, you might want to inspect the throttle position sensor for any signs of damage or malfunction.Also checking the wiring and connections related to the electronic throttle system could help identify any issues. If no visible problems are found, using a diagnostic tool to scan for error codes related to the throttle system as this could provide more information into the problem. :smile:

Yeah I need to use my little bluetooth obd 2 scan tool lol don't know why i keep forgetting that lol. Will report of any finding my scan tool shows up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, Bper said:

I think i might have fixed the issue its one you will say wooow too. So yes i did hook up my bluetooth ob2 reader and check engine light, fuel trims looked good, all airflow number look good. However i decided too switch my petrol type to E10, been using E5 all this time. I went to a morrisons fuel station in london because i get morrisons fuel gift card from my bank when i spend the card a certain amount of times. They don't have E5 so i used the E10 for a full tank of petrol. Right away i notice how smooth the car felt no vibrations at all. Its been 2 and half week since using E10 from morrisons and the car has been smooth and hasn't cutted out since. Very good car hope i keep till 200,000 miles,   72000 miles on it right now.

• Like 1

I been using E5 from BP at my local petrol station all this time before switching to E10

• Like 2

Hi Peter, glad you have sorted it but don't talk to me about Morrisons my own post Enough is Enough says enough about them.:smile: 

Keep an eye on it for a while to make sure the problem doesn't reappear again but interesting regarding the petrol change.:smile:👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links