Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lifespan of the 1.5 2020 ProAce engine

Steve347

Hi,

searching online, I discovered that it's a Peugeot engine after all, and the entire Van is Citroen/Peugeot.

Just to make it short, does it make sense to think that if I do all the maintenance from Toyota (in time) the Van can last more than 230k miles? (my need is up to 230k miles, but could be much less than that based on other factors)

I've seen those old French engines going MUCH beyond that (2000-2016 versions, like the 1.4 TDI), but expensive repairs came in around 180-230k miles, commonly the turbo or diesel pump, what I'm trying to say is that if I replace those expensive components when they are due, is this new engine capable of going far? 😄 

Online is very difficult to find data of a Toyota ProAce (unless they all blew up and radio silence is the only proudness left 🤣), I mean everyone, private or businesses sell them before 100k miles, so I can only search for older engines that have been used on French cars (which is not the same thing, right?), because the Toyota ProAce seems unknown to Google...

Or I could find the respective Peugeot but in UK is not a common Van, I would need to search in European forums...

The idea to stay with this Van from 75k miles for other 16-20y MAX is kind of weird to me though, I've never had a vehicle for so long, but I hope I'm not betting wrong... The previous maintenance has been done by Toyota.

Hi Steve,the Toyota ProAce is essentially a rebadged Peugeot van with Stellantis engines. While finding specific data on the ProAce itself might be difficult, there are some things to consider for long term ownership.

Based on reports, ProAces can reach around 126,000 miles with proper care. You mentioned older French engines lasting beyond 200,000 miles. This is true, but keep in mind technology evolves. The ProAce engine might be different.Sticking to Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule is crucial for maximising the engine life. Their reputation for reliability is well deserved.

Common Repairs around 180-230k miles turbo and diesel pump replacements seem to be amongst common wear items for those older engines. It's a possibility for the ProAce as well, but is not guaranteed at the same mileage. Planning for potential turbo or pump replacements around the 180-230k mark can be a good idea. This can help avoid any potential major breakdowns.

Searching for information on the equivalent Peugeot model in the European forums might be able to give you more specific engine details along with any common problems.If you plan to keep the ProAce for 16-20 years, reaching 230k miles is a possibility with good maintenance. However, unexpected repairs do and can still occur.

While the ProAce seems like a good option, consider looking at other vans with a longer track record of reaching high mileage.

Keeping the ProAce for 16-20 years with proper Toyota maintenance is a reasonable plan. There's a chance the engine will last beyond 230k miles, but be prepared for potential repairs around the 180-230k mark based on the older French engine reports.  Researching the equivalent Peugeot model can provide more specific engine data, talk to Toyota service dealers about the ProAce's engine and it's potential longevity.Check online any owner forums for the ProAce or its Peugeot equivalent.

Remember, even with good maintenance, unexpected issues can arise. Weigh the potential risks and rewards based on your needs and comfort level. Hope this helps.:smile: 

• Like 1

230K is a bit specific isnt it? Why?

Nothing is guaranteed in life, modern day engines have much more stresses and strains than older engines, especially with modern high pressure fuel pumps, turbos etc. Carefully driven and maintained there is no reason why they cannot last a long time but you must be prepared for more maintenance, use decent filters and oils, a few extra pounds spent will be worth it in the end 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Steve,the Toyota ProAce is essentially a rebadged Peugeot van with Stellantis engines. While finding specific data on the ProAce itself might be difficult, there are some things to consider for long term ownership.

Based on reports, ProAces can reach around 126,000 miles with proper care. You mentioned older French engines lasting beyond 200,000 miles. This is true, but keep in mind technology evolves. The ProAce engine might be different.Sticking to Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule is crucial for maximising the engine life. Their reputation for reliability is well deserved.

Common Repairs around 180-230k miles turbo and diesel pump replacements seem to be amongst common wear items for those older engines. It's a possibility for the ProAce as well, but is not guaranteed at the same mileage. Planning for potential turbo or pump replacements around the 180-230k mark can be a good idea. This can help avoid any potential major breakdowns.

Searching for information on the equivalent Peugeot model in the European forums might be able to give you more specific engine details along with any common problems.If you plan to keep the ProAce for 16-20 years, reaching 230k miles is a possibility with good maintenance. However, unexpected repairs do and can still occur.

While the ProAce seems like a good option, consider looking at other vans with a longer track record of reaching high mileage.

Keeping the ProAce for 16-20 years with proper Toyota maintenance is a reasonable plan. There's a chance the engine will last beyond 230k miles, but be prepared for potential repairs around the 180-230k mark based on the older French engine reports.  Researching the equivalent Peugeot model can provide more specific engine data, talk to Toyota service dealers about the ProAce's engine and it's potential longevity.Check online any owner forums for the ProAce or its Peugeot equivalent.

Remember, even with good maintenance, unexpected issues can arise. Weigh the potential risks and rewards based on your needs and comfort level. Hope this helps.:smile: 

I forgot to mention that my usage will be the following:

1-2 highway travels per month (400 miles), with 2 short city travels per week of around 6 miles total, but I'll stick to the 20 miles per week (2 x10 miles) just to warm up the engine, as a diesel car, I think it's better if I do it in this way, but just for the exhauster, nothing else.

I won't carry heavy weight regularly, but once a month I could carry 100 kg, nothing major anyway.

Do you know anything about the DPF?
I know that Renault fixed the issues of old DPFs, but what about this one? I know it's not Renault, but they could have the same system.
I would expect to give some warning at high mileage, but I wonder if it's a recurrent pain like the old ones.

By having the ADBlue, I have even less reasons to think it will leave me on the road without warning.

4 hours ago, Parts-King said:

230K is a bit specific isnt it? Why?

Nothing is guaranteed in life, modern day engines have much more stresses and strains than older engines, especially with modern high pressure fuel pumps, turbos etc. Carefully driven and maintained there is no reason why they cannot last a long time but you must be prepared for more maintenance, use decent filters and oils, a few extra pounds spent will be worth it in the end 

230k miles is my max goal and I left myself a nice margin if you look at the data posted above (I should end around 195k miles in 20y, very long way ahead), but I've seen those failures at 205k miles, among friends where I was living, it was classic, but if I have to be honest, like if people didn't do the maintenance properly 😄 , like a clock... Certainly, the fuel pump and turbo failed pretty much at the same time, but also no one bothered to fix them and keep the car going (scrap incentives were decent, like 40% of the fix almost), as well as no one ever thought cleaning up the injectors at some point, or to open the clutch just to see the situation.

It doesn't mean much really, it's all experience in a bar, but if it's still like that, that I'm ok, it's always the rest of the car that falls apart, not the engine, assuming proper maintenance and light usage.

I just wanted to find out if it works like all the other engines or if there is any particular thing to know, like particular wear based on a type of usage etc...

I allocated myself double price, so 16k in regular maintenance, broken components, tires, I mean all that could come on my way, + some little upgrades too. Obviously a dramatic engine failures that also breaks other components could be the end of it, it wouldn't make sense to fix it most probably, but it's quite rare...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links