Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing Traditions

Bper

Many articles have reported on how many of our traditions are slowly being lost and Easter celebrations is one for these. I believe we should endeavour to keep our traditions alive and be proud of them as we have been for centuries. So on this Easter Sunday I would like to wish all members a happy and chocolate filled day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Easter! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Traditions only last as long as they are followed by the general public.  British traditions are waning for two main reasons - intermarriage of different cultures, and wide disinterest in traditions by younger members of society.

And it doesn’t help the situation when the “woke” brigade are endlessly endeavouring to change our natural beliefs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Traditions only last as long as they are followed by the general public.  British traditions are waning for two main reasons - intermarriage of different cultures, and wide disinterest in traditions by younger members of society.

And it doesn’t help the situation when the “woke” brigade are endlessly endeavouring to change our natural beliefs.

I couldn't agree more Albert,but didn't you forget something to wish.:laugh:

We should all keep celebrating the birth of the easter bunny…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

A bigger reason is that the changes to Sunday Trading and Trading laws mean these traditional days and celebration days are now just normal working days for many people, so they cannot celebrate them even if they wanted to, they have lost their significance.

Go back before 1994 and most shops were closed on a Sunday, it was a day for spending time with your family, for the religious for going to church, or doing hobbies or interests, since the changes in 1994 it's now just another working day for most people.

Same with the public holidays, they used to be holidays for most people, but now most shops and many public-facing businesses are open and trading, making it just another working day.

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

It wasn't the "woke brigade" that did this, but rather businesses wanting to trade on Sundays and public holidays.

• Like 4

It was people that wanted it not businesses. People want to have time off when they want, not to be forced to have it when they are told to,  they also want to be able to shop when they want and not be told that they can't because of some unfounded worshiping of fictional extra terrestrial beings..

• Haha 3

I have heard a couple of comments about Easter Sunday - “even the garden centres are shut. How boring; nowhere to go!”  As for any traditional British culture surrounding Easter - well, folks in their thousands are off to overseas destinations.  Probably to watch the customs and celebrations taking place in those other countries!

• Like 1

HAPPY EASTER !!!!!

• Like 3

Traditions are important. It makes us who we are, both as individuals and as a Nation.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Big_D said:

Traditions are important. It makes us who we are, both as individuals and as a Nation.

Agreed, but it is the younger indigenous population who are turning their backs on our traditions.  How can that be reversed?

• Like 2

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what the (woke) brigade is??🤔

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what the (woke) brigade is??🤔

Hi Bernard, 

The term "woke" has two main ways it's described

Awareness of social injustice originally from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE), "woke" means being alert to and understanding issues of racial prejudice and discrimination. Over time, it's grown to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities, including sexism, LGBTQ+ rights, and other issues.

Social and political awareness In a more general sense, being "woke" can simply mean being informed about current social and political issues, especially those involving progressive ideology.

Early uses, "Woke" has been around since the 1930s in AAVE, meaning "aware" or "informed."

Shifting meaning, By the 2010s, "woke" became more prominent and broadened to include social justice issues.

Current discussions, Today, "woke" can be used positively to describe someone who's actively fighting for social change. However, it can also be used critically to suggest someone is overly sensitive or focused on political correctness. Well there you go I didn't fully understand it myself so you are not alone.:smile:

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links