Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E brake - turn off car before putting in PARK.

mikmikmikmik

E brake - turn off car before putting in PARK: If i do this, the ebrake does not come on automatically and also I have to switch the car off again after putting it in park and manually putting the ebrake on. If I put it in park first, the e-brake does come on, and of course then I turn the car off.

• Like 1

Why are you turning the car off before putting it in park? I must be missing something because you appear to be saying that if you do something you shouldn't do the car doesn't behave the way you expect.

The answer is surely to just follow the correct sequence. Put the car in park and then switch off.

it's like the old joke:

Patient:"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor:"Well don't do that."

• Like 4

My YC will not switch off unless in Park

• Like 2

My 23 Corolla will not switch off if not in park, a message will tell you to select park first

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Why are you turning the car off before putting it in park? I must be missing something because you appear to be saying that if you do something you shouldn't do the car doesn't behave the way you expect.

The answer is surely to just follow the correct sequence. Put the car in park and then switch off.

it's like the old joke:

Patient:"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor:"Well don't do that."

I hear you dude, just getting used to the car. I will always remember to put it in park before switch off, but what I was getting at is even after pressing stop to stop the car, and then putting it in park and then pressing stop agaim, it still doesn't activate the e brake.

Give me good old pull up manual handbrake, like the auris :)

• Like 1

I kept accidentally attempting to turn the Corolla off while still in D because I was used to the Auris where you could just pull up, hit Stop, and get out - letting the parking pawl stop the car rolling away. Very rarely needed to use the manual handbrake. I still miss that and the old "joystick" gear selector!

Anyway... How it works for me with automatic parking brake mode enabled. If I accidentally hit Stop before shifting to P I just have to shift to P (parking brake sets automatically), and hit Stop again. Done. But I don't use the "brake hold" function - maybe that makes a difference...

• Like 1

I’m confused by this topic.

whether it be a electric handbrake or manual hand brake I’ve always applied the handbrake before turning of the car.

The logical process of ending a journey is stopping the car, applying the hand brake and then turning off the ignition.

even in the auris there was a P button and a physical hand brake. 

• Like 1

There was, but you didn't need to actually press P button at end of journey - the car entered P mode for you when you turned off power.

And you didn't need to use the manual handbrake unless on a steep slope - the parking pawl deployed by P mode was ample (and even on the Corolla it's advised to only use P mode and not EPB in extreme ice conditions).

I guess I'm just lazy, I liked only having to hit one button at the end of a journey!

That is one of the reasons I prefer the "Puck" style the Prius and Auris have, rather than the boring old PRND-style shift lever we get. It's really just an excessively large switch, and there's no reason any of that needs to be mechanical and have such a gigantic lever, especially since they went to all the trouble of getting rid of the handbrake to save space!

I find the puck faster and less error-prone (The number of times I've accidentally gone into B or N instead of D or R with this chunky lever...! If they'd at least put some steps in, like the one in my dad's Verso, it would have been better!), but Toyota tend to be a bit conservative and are always worried it scares people off having an unusual control, even if it is objectively better, unlike some of the stuff a lot of other marques try (The drive control e.g. the ID3 is really un-ergonomic by comparison)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Toyota tend to be a bit conservative and are always worried it scares people off having an unusual control

Put yourself in a strange hire car, especially at an airport, and LHD.

And the number of times my wife has failed to get the car to shut down and lock: in Ready Mode, not in Park,  lights on, key in car etc etc

• Like 2

You're gonna get that with any car though - I've had cars with the wipers and indicators swapped which took me a while to adjust to, much to the amusement of my passengers every time the wipers went on, and I remember the first time I drove a car with a column shifter (Thank smeg those aren't common over here!! :eek: :laugh: ).

To be fair I think Toyota need a bit more confidence in themselves - The puck and other controls are much very intuitive and most people will figure them out pretty quickly - Most hybrid owners I know prefer the puck more than the PRND once they've tried both. You will always get people who refuse to adapt, but it's not good to try and cater for them too hard in the long term.

That said, there is something to be said for a minimum standard for standardized controls!! A mate had a chance to drive a proper vintage car once, but the pedals weren't in the 'normal' order (One might have been a floor button?! :eek: ) and I think there were like, 2 different clutch pedals or 2 different gear levers or something :laugh:  I don't think he managed to figure out how to get it going on its own before the curator let him off the hook and showed him how its done :laugh: 

Would be a right bugger if all cars had completely different controls like that :laugh: 

Auris hybrid, well ahead of its time with shift by wire electronic gear selector, just so much better and more suitable for these type of cars.
I had tried new chr shift by wire and didn’t like it at all. The joystick it’s not as comfortable and too hard to move.
Toyota have two things different and best from all others brands, the hybrid system and the functionality, they had improved the first but totally worsened the second.
Latest models too dark, too cramped, too unpractical, and rear seats almost impossible to use.  I see potential buyers are walking away become of these issues and they will put their money on vag cars instead of purchase a Toyota, trading best and most reliable drive trains for little bit more practicalities, shame on Toyota design. 

• Like 1

I liked the auris shifter. Dont like the Corolla shifter.

• Like 2

I’ve had autos for years and 99 out of a 100 times I just went into park and switched off, never used the parking brake. SO, the Corolla system works okay. 
One of the problems is that nowadays, almost every car is built similar and if anything is different people panic. In the 60s-80s many cars weren’t the same, just look at a Citroen CX, early BX etc and you’ll understand.

It’s a shame ‘cos nowadays every car even looks the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Auris hybrid, well ahead of its time with shift by wire electronic gear selector, just so much better and more suitable for these type of cars.
I had tried new chr shift by wire and didn’t like it at all. The joystick it’s not as comfortable and too hard to move.
Toyota have two things different and best from all others brands, the hybrid system and the functionality, they had improved the first but totally worsened the second.
Latest models too dark, too cramped, too unpractical, and rear seats almost impossible to use.  I see potential buyers are walking away become of these issues and they will put their money on vag cars instead of purchase a Toyota, trading best and most reliable drive trains for little bit more practicalities, shame on Toyota design. 

There has been a bit more of a shift from practicality to appearance with the newer ones; I occasionally get people complimenting me on mine which never happened with any of my previous cars :laugh: 

People who don't know about cars sometimes think it's a Mazda or Ford until they see the Badge and are surprised it's a Yaris :laugh: 

But it has been at the expense of some practicality - My current Most Annoying Thing In My Yaris is the rear doors - They annoy me every time I have to use them, and I'm scared I'm going to accidentally rip the door strap out by accident one day, as it stops opening about 3/4 before you're expecting it to! They're somehow worse than the rear doors on my Mk1, and that's saying something! :laugh: 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:39 AM, mikmikmikmik said:

Give me good old pull up manual handbrake, like the auris 🙂

I drove a Gen 2, then Gen 3 Prius before purchasing my Corolla.  The Prius doesn't have a european style handbrake at all, it has a foot pedal (USA style) parking brake.   The gear "shifter" is very different as well.

However the Corolla looks more "european" with the button parking brake, and a "traditional" (yawn) shifter, however it works in exactly the same way as the Prius.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links