Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Yaris vs Mk2 Yaris

YAR1S

Hello,

I currently have a 2004 Yaris D-4D T Spirit. I've had it nearly 10 years and it is on approx. 190,000. Recently it has started to have a few issues and, due to the age, I feel it has come to a point where it doesn't make sense spending money on it. 

Is the Mk2 Yaris a good replacement? I am looking at either the D-4D up to 2009 (no DPF) or the 1.33, both of which come in at £35 VED. Anyone gone from a Mk1 to a Mk2? I did have a brief look at the Mk3 but I'm not a fan of the design.

I did that when I got KHAAAAAN'd - Went from a 2004 Mk1 D4D to a 2009 Mk2 1.33 VVTi.

Didn't have a good experience as it was surprisingly unreliable - Drank vast amounts of oil, aircon failed, gearbox failed. Got so sick of it I threw all my savings at a Mk4 hybrid instead.

I got the 2009 1.33 specifically because it's the only one you can get that has the combination of a 6-speed gearbox, a digital dash and the low road tax - All the older ones had the 5-speed and higher road tax and the later ones lost the digital dashboard. If I'd know now what I knew then I'd probably have just sucked up the higher tax and got a 2007 or 2008 one (Esp. since now I'm paying even more tax despite having a newer and much more 'eco friendly' car!! :wacko:), but even the 1.3 and 1.33 feel really gutless compared to the 1.4 D4D - It's painful downgrading from a turbo-diesel to a NA petrol...!

If you get a petrol one, avoid the 1.33's. The 1.0, older 5-speed 1.3, and diesel ones use evolutions of older engines and are much more reliable than the 1.33, which was a brand new and untested engine that debuted 2009; The problems weren't really fixed until the very last ones just before the Mk3 came out.

The build quality of the Mk2 is also noticeably worse than the Mk1 in several areas - The bumpers are very flimsy, and the panel gaps are very large. The dashboard was rippling badly where it seemed to have buckled over time from the heat or something. It does have much more satisfyingly solid-feeling doors however, and if you ever carry passengers they will love how much space there is at the back with the seats slid all the way back. (It's one thing my mates complain about in my Mk4, which has terrible rear entry doors and much less space, but this all plays into my subtle hinting that I'm not the group taxi :laugh: )

If you don't need to worry about ULEZ-type silliness, I think the Mk2 D4D pre-DPF is a good shout though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YAR1S said:

Is the Mk2 Yaris a good replacement? I am looking at either the D-4D up to 2009 (no DPF) or the 1.33, both of which come in at £35 VED.

If you know how to look after it, the 1.33 is a reasonable choice, but slower when compared to the D4D. When changing the oil, I include an additive which helps to reduce consumption. The sliding rear seats in the Mk2 make it more spacious than the Mk3. On a long run, I get high MPG figures at a relaxing 2500 RPM @ 65mph in 6th gear. With the lower VED, it costs pennies to run.

The main issue you'll have is finding a decent Mk2. Most owners (including my neighbour) tend to hang on to their reliable pre-DPF D4D's.

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

The bumpers are very flimsy, and the panel gaps are very large. The dashboard was rippling badly where it seemed to have buckled over time from the heat or something.

You must've got a bad one. I've had no issues with the bumpers and the panel gaps are spot on. I find the Mk2's build quality to be better than the Mk3, although I'm planning to sell mine this summer after the MOT is renewed.

• Like 1

I just mean compared to my Japan-made Mk1 D4D; The Mk2s panel gaps are about par with my french-made Mk4 :laugh: 

But I did get a bad one - Had 3 major issues that I would never have expected from a Toyota, which is why i got rid of it...

• Like 1

I have a MK1 and can't praise it enough. Had her 6 years now and the only things she's needed are the usual consumables. £400 with a years MOT...bargain. They have crept up in price now but if anything happened to mine I'd buy another in a heart beat.

Alex

• Like 1

The mk 1s are very well built cars in my experience.

My own Japanese built Tsport, and my friend's french built Yaris from 2005, which was unfortunately crashed a while ago.

There is still a  green W reg one comes down the road here and looks good , runs well.

I have no faith in things being better just because they are newer, it is the initial quality in my opinion that matters, materials and workmanship.

• Like 2

What are the issues wit your Mk1 anyway?

Unless it's rust, it's probably worth repairing TBH...

The Mk1 D4Ds are insanely rare, and ones in good condition are still worth more than average for something of that age (Although less so now because of things like ULEZ)

I've found something that really helps with car/bike ownership. Name them. Once an attachment is formed you take better care of them. And I know you are thinking what's my Yaris called?

Rocket Bunny.

Can't wait for the laughter 😁

Alex

• Haha 4

We need to get you a numberplate like RK07 BNY! :laugh: 

• Haha 3

Thanks for the replies. In an ideal world I would just get another Mk1 D-4D in good condition and drive it for another 10 years, but finding one is very challenging. Finding a Mk2 D-4D is also hard, but at least there are more cars for sale. The 1.33 was an option because of the low VED, but if it's slower than the D-4D and has oil consumption issues I will go back to looking at the D-4D.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:36 PM, Cyker said:

What are the issues wit your Mk1 anyway?

Unless it's rust, it's probably worth repairing TBH...

The Mk1 D4Ds are insanely rare, and ones in good condition are still worth more than average for something of that age (Although less so now because of things like ULEZ)

Exhaust gases in coolant

Some rust

Leaking sunroof

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links