Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vehicle Excise Duty rates from 1st April 2024

FROSTYBALLS

so complicated these days, can't see where my 1987 Golf GTi comes in. Also I don't feel that there's much discount given for driving a hybrid.

Think I'll buy a 125cc Vespa 😀

I do at times wonder if VED should , as well as on model type, be based on the mileage that an individual car does over the twelve months of the year.

There are those of us that only do some couple of thousand miles per year.

Yes, I know we would therefore pay less fuel duty (tax) due to the minimal fuel we would purchase, but it does sometimes strike me that my and others doing minmal mileage per year, are disadvantaged compared to those who do massive mileage over twelve months, in respect of VED costs.

Living as remote as I personally do, there is no regular and reliable bus service when we need to go shopping or to attend hospital appointments, so as long as it is physically possible, I shall have to run a car.

Best Wishes and Regards to Everyone.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JARC1 said:

I do at times wonder if VED should , as well as on model type, be based on the mileage that an individual car does over the twelve months of the year.

There are those of us that only do some couple of thousand miles per year.

Yes, I know we would therefore pay less fuel duty (tax) due to the minimal fuel we would purchase, but it does sometimes strike me that my and others doing minmal mileage per year, are disadvantaged compared to those who do massive mileage over twelve months, in respect of VED costs.

Living as remote as I personally do, there is no regular and reliable bus service when we need to go shopping or to attend hospital appointments, so as long as it is physically possible, I shall have to run a car.

Best Wishes and Regards to Everyone.

That is exactly why it should be added to fuel along with insurance cost.

That would not be to my advantage as my road tax is zero and insurance is only £200. 🙂

• Like 1

TBH I think it's roughly right as it is - It makes sense to me that one part is a flat fee to cover base maintenance and administration, and then having another part based on usage i.e. the fuel duty. The problem is they're abusing it to prop themselves up at our expense and that's not what it should be for.

I think the flat fee should be lower though - My Mk4 is now the most expensive car anyone in our family has ever had to tax, even my dad's old 2.2L Merc E-Class had a lower tax rate while he owned it, which does irks me - and that £40k premium car tax really needs revising; Soon every new car will be a 'premium car' at the rate things are going!! :eek: 

• Like 3

For several years now the government have periodically juggled with the VED rates - their main aims have been threefold - (a) to force drivers into buying cars that they [the government] think we should buy, partly to satisfy the environmentalists, (2) to push for EVs, and to phase out ICE cars, and (3) to manage the rates so as to maximise revenue without losing income related to factor (2).

The result is that, over time, no driver can be sure of how they might win or lose the next time the VED rates are fiddled with.  “Fiddle” being the operative word.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

For several years now the government have periodically juggled with the VED rates - their main aims have been threefold - (a) to force drivers into buying cars that they [the government] think we should buy, partly to satisfy the environmentalists,

That used to be diesels 😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 12:28 PM, Hybrid21 said:

so complicated these days, can't see where my 1987 Golf GTi comes in. Also I don't feel that there's much discount given for driving a hybrid.

Life was easy back then and thankfully they have not changed that - is the engine more or less than 1549cc? They just hike the fee. The mk2 Golf is 1.8 i.e. more than 1549cc thus it's £345. Get a Vespa too - keeps you young.

• Like 3

Also I don't feel that there's much discount given for driving a hybrid.

It's all a money-grabbing exercise with them lot...! 😠 Let's just pray that they don't start treating hybrids the same they did diesels...

• Like 2

Think I'll buy a 125cc Vespa 😀

For hybrids, the VED is simply based upon the emission values for the ICE engine.  I can see why the electric drive side of the equation is ignored, because that value is very much dependent on how the vehicle is driven.  Getting the best out of a hybrid requires the development of habitually driving in a more sedate manner.  I wonder how many hybrid drivers bother to study and understand the principles to achieve the best results for using the Battery?  The way some of them drive, they would be better off to invest in a less expensive ICE car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Getting the best out of a hybrid requires the development of habitually driving in a more sedate manner.  I wonder how many hybrid drivers bother to study and understand the principles to achieve the best results for using the battery?

I definitely don't! :naughty: 

I don't know what it is about the Mk4 Yaris, but I don't even try to drive efficiently and it gives me tank averages of 70+mpg! :eek: :biggrin: 

It may just be my driving style suits it though - I've always been about getting the acceleration phase out of the way ASAP and then just coasting at the speed limit in the highest gear possible and carrying as much momentum through corners and turns as I can (This is what having a first car that has incredible road-holding but would struggle in a tug-of-war with a granny does to you :laugh: )

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links