Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible CHR Customer

DAF XF

My wife is looking at updating her diesel car (doing relatively short journeys now) and with myself being a Toyota fan from a previous old diesel Auris (just pre dpf era) I had no qualms about recommending them.  She has found the CHR to be particularly pleasing to her eye so just wanting to see what advice can be given on them from CHR  owners/hybrid owners in general.  Test drove a nearby 1.2 petrol which was incredibly smooth and while not fast wasn't as slow as we feared - really nice to drive.  She liked it so we are now (as I had intended) looking further away for a 1.8 hybrid.

So apart from any potential 12v Battery issues if the car isn't used much/brake discs etc (I have a ctek charger already) and the air intake to the battery/filter to ensure the Battery is kept cool are there any other issues to look out for?

We're looking probably around the 2018/19/20 mark, about £12k-£15k-ish.  Icon seems nice with the smaller wheels but on the checklist appears to be heated seats and leather which seems to put us into the Dynamic spec.  Seen a few averaging around 5500miles per year is this too low or fair enough?  I know its not good having the high voltage batteries sat around for long periods of time but obviously covid will account for a portion of that in almost every car of that same time period.

I see a lot of the reviews online (by the time you weed out the misinformed reviewers that talk about belts on the e-cvt drive and scratchy plastics on lower door cards) mention about the laggy system in the car - the 1.2l we drove was a Nov 2018 and I can't say I noticed any issues.  Is that usual it's not VAG so it must be bad bias?

Anyway a few other brief queries:

1. Do you regret/not regret buying a 1.8 CHR?
  2. To check the Battery health is Dr Prius the best/only app to buy?
  3. Would you have a limit on miles per year average (either a lower or higher!)
  4. Any particular things to look for (good or bad)?
  5. Are the diamond cut alloy models prone to corrosion (other makes we've had the clear coat appears to have been exceptionally thin)?
  6. If the car is out of toyota warranty and then perhaps after 3 months/6 months etc is out of warranty from the seller I can take it at next service to Toyota and avail of the relax scheme - is this only the case where all previous services have been carried out by Toyota or a vat registered garage?  (to sum up if we buy one that has been serviced at a local independent or say a Citroen garage does that mean the car is exempt from relax)?

Excited at the prospect of getting a hybrid and having a toyota back on the drive but given the expense of all cars these days making a sound buy is nerve wracking!  

• Like 1

Recently bought the wife a 1.8 dynamic model, she's impressed but we both had gen 3 prius before so it's basically updated tech to us. 

These should run for an exceptionally long time given there history (not very different to prius) with well proven engines.. Transmission.. Battery ect. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Recently bought the wife a 1.8 dynamic model, she's impressed but we both had gen 3 prius before so it's basically updated tech to us. 

These should run for an exceptionally long time given there history (not very different to prius) with well proven engines.. Transmission.. Battery ect. 

Thanks Alan - sounds reassuring - I take it (like every car) it is essential to ensure it has had all its services at 10,000/12 month intervals or less to ensure that engine keeps going

I've run that motor for 400,000 miles and apart from failed head gasket at 350,000 I've literally not done anything other than change oil every 10,000... Oil flush every 3rd oil change... Spark plugs 120,000 - 150,000...air filter whenever I remember and gearbox oil change 70-100,000 miles.. 

Never had oil burning issues that some report at relative low mileage (oil flushes help here). 

• Like 3

Amazing longevity. I assume your high voltage Battery has been replaced once in that time?

My first C-HR was a 2020 Dynamic 2.0 as I found the 1.8 a bit under powered for my liking. I part exchanged it for a 2023 GR Sport (also 2.0). Battery issues have never been a problem on any of them. 

Fuel economy has been good in both, with the GR Sport being a bit thirstier, but I think this has to do with the way I drive it. It is a GR Sport after all !!

I can definitely recommend the C-HR. It’s one of the nicest cars I have owned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAF XF said:

Amazing longevity. I assume your high voltage battery has been replaced once in that time?

Had a couple of cells replaced at 355, 000...not the end of the world cost wise, these things are more reliable when used it seems. 

• Like 1

Worth looking at Excel & also the Red edition as both within budget plus come with a lot of standard equipment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big_D said:

My first C-HR was a 2020 Dynamic 2.0 as I found the 1.8 a bit under powered for my liking. I part exchanged it for a 2023 GR Sport (also 2.0). Battery issues have never been a problem on any of them. 

Fuel economy has been good in both, with the GR Sport being a bit thirstier, but I think this has to do with the way I drive it. It is a GR Sport after all !!

I can definitely recommend the C-HR. It’s one of the nicest cars I have owned.

Always a good sign when you stick with one for the next car - GR especially looks beautiful - thanks for another positive review on CHR!

2 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Had a couple of cells replaced at 355, 000...not the end of the world cost wise, these things are more reliable when used it seems. 

Exceptional!  That does make me wonder for longevity are we better looking for something that has 10,000 miles per year average or more rather than something at half that.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Worth looking at Excel & also the Red edition as both within budget plus come with a lot of standard equipment. 

Yes funny I noticed this last night while looking through the honest john website as we hadn't seen any excels for sale nearby so hadn't realised they are in between the icon and dynamic.  Red edition is new on me I had seen numerous mentions of an orange edition - thanks for the heads up!

On another note I had only ever really seen the RAV4 thread on here about being stolen easily with the canbus system in at the wing - is this a thing with CHRs too?  Ran some insurance quotes last night which were only marginally more expensive than the current car but wondered as we don't want a nasty surprise if we get one perhaps at renewal!

49 minutes ago, DAF XF said:

Yes funny I noticed this last night while looking through the honest john website as we hadn't seen any excels for sale nearby so hadn't realised they are in between the icon and dynamic.  Red edition is new on me I had seen numerous mentions of an orange edition - thanks for the heads up!

The Dynamic isn't really the "top of the range" grade. With recent Toyota's there are two parallel "top of the range" grades:

• The Excel is top of the range for equipment and all the toys.
  • The Dynamic (aka GR Sport) is top of the range for sporty style.

Personally, I'd go for an Excel every time, but it very much depends on where you stand on the bi-tone paint finishes on the Dynamic.

The orange edition was a special introduced when the 2.0L engine was launched so it has most of everything. That would make a pretty good buy if you can find one at a decent price (and like orange!).

8 hours ago, DAF XF said:

On another note I had only ever really seen the RAV4 thread on here about being stolen easily with the canbus system in at the wing - is this a thing with CHRs too?  Ran some insurance quotes last night which were only marginally more expensive than the current car but wondered as we don't want a nasty surprise if we get one perhaps at renewal!

Also a Lime edition that came before the Orange but both slightly outside your original budget in first post.

Yes the first generation C-HR can currently be stolen in the same way as the RAV4 but the C-HR isn't that high on the thieves hit list.

Plus Toyota is working on a solution to be announced in the near future. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAF XF said:

Exceptional!  That does make me wonder for longevity are we better looking for something that has 10,000 miles per year average or more rather than something at half that.

I wouldn't be afraid of above average mileage cars especially if the price is right and if your keeping them forever mileage becomes irrelevant and condition counts more. 

• Like 1

We test drove a 1.8 dynamic and unsurprisingly found it very refined (not sure why any reviewers say about a noisy engine under load).  A 2021 model so it was about a year or two more modern than we are probably aiming for - I'm not sure if there was any difference or facelifts between 2019 - 2020 - 2021 that would be any way meaningful - perhaps someone else knows?

The dealer told us he has a 2020 1.8 dynamic with around 45,000 miles coming in soon which seems to be a good fit.  I was watching the Car Care Nut and all seemed good but noticed a lot of american comments about transmission failures - I can only assume the USA gets a very different CHR to the UK/Europe as everything this side of the atlantic seems to say the package it near bullet proof.

On a side note the Toyota dealer said the canbus theft issue was something they seemed (genuinely) unaware of.

Just noticed a couple of things the 2020 model coming into the dealer passed mot in Aug 2023 with an advisory of "OS front wheel arch cover damaged/insecure - had previously been fouling tyre" - would this be the same side for an attempted canbus style theft I wonder?

Also it then passed another mot just 2 months later in Oct 2023 and then has only covered 1300 miles in the next 6 months till present.

Either of these seem odd?

The C-HR that was sold in the US market had a completely different power unit & transmission fitted to the rest of the world - luckily it didn't escape elsewhere as it was !Removed! awful.

• Like 1

CHR shortly joining the family I am excited to say so thanks to all who replied and helped us make what we are confident was a very wise move!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links