Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 gen 5 hybrid - Oil pump?

Chainbreaker

A question to satisfy my own curiosity, as I could not find any info on this online.

Is the oil pump on the 2.0 hybrid mechanical or electric? Interested to know if there is no oil pressure when the engine is not running, similar to cars with stop/start systems? As the hybrid engine can be off for much longer periods than typical ICE cars with stop/start, I'm wondering if there would be a large enough drop in oil temperature as well as pressure which would mean some bearings potentially being dry when the engine is restarted, possibly affecting the lifespan of the engine.

An electric pump would resolve this by keeping the oil circulating and maintaining pressure.

I'm sure the engineers at Toyota know much more about it than I do and have considered it, just can't find any info on how it all works.

Hi Adam,2.0 hybrid engines likely use a mechanical oil pump driven by the petrol engine. Oil pressure drops when the engine's off, similar to vehicles with stop-start. However, Toyota likely incorporates measures like specific oil selection, pump design, and restart strategy to ensure adequate lubrication during restarts and minimise long term wear on the engine.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 2

This may be of limited use, but, I'm certain I read some years back that the Prius gen 3 (2009 - 2016, also Auris), during the warm start that you describe, spins the engine over electrically for two revolutions with the ignition/injection off, then proceeds to start the engine on two cylinders, fleetingly, then all four.

I have no link for this info.

I would expect this to help in acheiving a good initial oil pressure, but also making that engine start-up less evident.

The stop/start nature of the engine caused me some head-scratching from a longevity point of view, when our cars were new (to us), but the engines seem exceptionally strong with regards to the crankshaft etc, but also the valve gear.  Only the piston rings on the early generation of the gen3 engine suffered from wear (oil control), and that happened on lots of other, non-hybrid cars of the era (VAG EA888, for instance!).

I appreciate that this doesn't mean the gen5 2.0 does the same, but I'd expect it to.

• Like 2

Mechanical, Driven off the drive chain

image.thumb.png.d50c153f13ce3f3243ded52dde9644a2.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Driven off the drive chain

A bit surprised they introduced chain drive. At least it's not a wet belt.

23 minutes ago, Gerg said:

during the warm start that you describe, spins the engine over electrically for two revolutions with the ignition/injection off, then proceeds to start the engine on two cylinders, fleetingly, then all four.

I believe this is still true. But they may now just turn it over until sufficient oil pressure is sensed. Which in practice can probably be less than one full revolution. Likewise, if sufficient pressure isn't sensed, the engine does not start. It would be nice if someone with access to technical documentation could confirm.

• Like 1

Bullet proof those chains

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, APS said:

A bit surprised they introduced chain drive. At least it's not a wet belt.

Timing chains are great for durability, it's a shame that so many manufacturers have cheapened out by going to belts, especially the notorious PSA 1.2 pure tech wet belt. I like PSA cars, but that belt means I would never buy one.

43 minutes ago, Gerg said:

This may be of limited use, but, I'm certain I read some years back that the Prius gen 3 (2009 - 2016, also Auris), during the warm start that you describe, spins the engine over electrically for two revolutions with the ignition/injection off, then proceeds to start the engine on two cylinders, fleetingly, then all four.

I have no link for this info.

I would expect this to help in acheiving a good initial oil pressure, but also making that engine start-up less evident.

The stop/start nature of the engine caused me some head-scratching from a longevity point of view, when our cars were new (to us), but the engines seem exceptionally strong with regards to the crankshaft etc, but also the valve gear.  Only the piston rings on the early generation of the gen3 engine suffered from wear (oil control), and that happened on lots of other, non-hybrid cars of the era (VAG EA888, for instance!).

I appreciate that this doesn't mean the gen5 2.0 does the same, but I'd expect it to.

That's interesting to know and sounds like a good way to work around the issue. Also explains the thin oil these engines use now.

Probably explains the very small delay you feel between the electric motor cranking the engine and the engine firing.

Whilst looking online for info, I found that the 2.5 hybrid engine has a variable electric oil pump for this, which is why I was curious about whethet the 2.0 had the same system. 

Don't remember which video exactly (there are many) but The car care nut mentions this somewhere. If you want to know more about the Toyota hybrid system, or specifically for M20A-FXS you will love those videos. Lots of details.....

Search for "The car care nut" in YouTube if you haven't seen it already of course 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links