Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto wipers - not switching to constant?

mikmikmikmik

My old auris would automatically switch from fast intemittent to constant wiping and even auto switch to fast wiping if the rain was severe enough.

This Corolla auto wiping never switches to constant from fast intermittent and I have to manually move the lever to constant myself. 

Is this manual intevention needed?

Hi Michael,You are right, some Toyota models like your Auris might have a rain sensor that automatically adjusts the wiper speed based on rain intensity. This feature can be present on Corollas too, but it depends on the specific model and trim level.

have a look in the owners manual as this will have a section on wiper controls and should mention if your Corolla has a rain sensor and how it operates. It might also explain if there's a setting to enable automatic switching to constant wipe.

look for the rain sensor, the rain sensors are typically a small, circular patch on the windscreen near the rearview mirror. If you see this on your Corolla, it likely has a rain sensing wiper system.See if there's a specific setting for automatic wipers. Try turning the wiper stalk to the intermittent position and see if the wipers adjust speed based on simulated rain spraying water on the windscreen with a bottle.

If your Corolla doesn't have a rain sensor or the automatic switching isn't working as expected, then yes, manually intervening to switch to constant wipe during heavy rain might be necessary.

As a side issue with the amount of issues you have posted it seems you are having a few problems with this car since you brought it.:smile:

This is what the manual says.

Does this mean auto wipe is only for intermittent.

17124928557895097141577051295078.jpg

I forgot to mention. My wipers continue to intermittently work based on the speed I select, even when there is no rain, the windscreen is dry and there's not a cloud in the sky.

1 hour ago, mikmikmikmik said:

I forgot to mention. My wipers continue to intermittently work based on the speed I select, even when there is no rain, the windscreen is dry and there's not a cloud in the sky.

I believe you don’t have auto wipers in your trim level Corolla. These are on Design and above. Perhaps icon spec MY21.5 -> has auto wipers and fog lights and smart entry. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe you don’t have auto wipers in your trim level Corolla. These are on Design and above. Perhaps icon spec MY21.5 -> has auto wipers and fog lights and smart entry. 

I never even thought of that. You'd think high class cars like Toyota would have auto wipers, it has auto lights for pity's sake.

The scroll wheel on the wiper stalk adjusts the wiper/rain sensor sensitivity. Try adjusting it.

• Like 1

There is no auto word on the wipers, but there is that symbol, does that symbol mean auto? 17125046421107642655596594043010.jpg

No, it means intermittent, but you can set the frequency of the intermittent wipe with the other control that has the same symbol - In your picture it's set to the highest frequency.

Also, a small correction, cars under the Toyota brand are not really high class cars, they are more budget/normal-person reliable cars - Lexus is more the high-class car branch.

Also, Icon is the poverty-spec so they strip out almost everything to get the price as low as they can go; Design is usually the lowest spec that you get stuff like that on as standard.

TBH you're not missing much; I'm not a big fan of auto wipers as I always find with mine they still randomly either wipe too often or not enough, so I'm still having to adjust the sensitivity, which defeats the point in my view. Ironically I think I'd prefer your ones, as I could just set the intermittent mode to be something more consistent.

My favourite wipers were on my Fiesta - You could set the intermittent interval to anything you wanted by clicking intermittent on and off, then waiting until you wanted it to wipe again, then clicking it on, and it would remember that delay and repeat the wipe on that interval until you changed to a different mode.

• Like 1

I was spoiled with my auris excel ;)

So much missing.

Thank you for putting me right.

• Like 2

Argh yes, Excel is usually the top spec so I can imagine going from that to Icon will feel a bit lacking!

• Like 1

That’s right . 
I have test driven an excel and liked a lot but out of my budget and the only one I can afford were Icon so decided to postpone my upgrade.. 

• Like 1

That's the best thing to do - With used cars, time is on your side and the longer you can wait the less you'll need to pay and the longer you can save for!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links