Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint sprayers/people who've painted their own car- how?

JIQ

Hi!

So I have a Toyota IQ with pearl white paint (this particular car model/paint colour is known to have a defect- I don't think a primer/base coat was applied properly so every now and then, paint starts to chip/flake off various areas of my car). Due to the defect, I've paid others to fix certain areas of the car, as and when the paint starts to flake off, but as you can imagine it does get pricey and with the age of my car and value, is it really worth me keep forking out? 
The last person who painted my car gave me the left over paint (so the colour and I believe the base coat), so now I have it in my head that I could probably have a crack at it myself (probably a terrible mistake haha). Thing is, I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone can give me step by step instructions (and what I need to be able to do it) or point me in the direction of a video/online tutorial that can teach me somewhat, that would be great.
Thanks! 🙂

IMG_20240411_163010.jpg

• 2 months later...

You'd probably need a decent compressor and paint gun which would set you back a few hundred quid. 

I believe Toyota recalled the iQ for this issue, maybe worth contacting customer service regarding it. 

1 minute ago, rbrtsn said:

I believe Toyota recalled the iQ for this issue, maybe worth contacting customer service regarding it. 

Toyota did originally deal with the issue under goodwill (not a recall as it isn't a safety issue).

However their most recent stance, is that affected cars must have a full Toyota service history and be under 10 years old.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links