Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Upgrade horn

taxidriver50005

Has anyone upgraded there feeble horn on corolla ts, I struggle to scare pigeons out of the way,  my old prius was 10 times better

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hi Alan, my Auris is the same it actually sounds embarrassing if I have to press it. My wife laughs and says they can't hear it.:smile:

I haven't bothered to change it but there are plenty of aftermarket horns available so it depends on budget and compatibility. Hopefully someone will give you a recommendation on a good one they have fitted.

If they do i think i might consider it as well.:smile: 

• Like 2

I don't know what it is about Japanese cars but they all (except Lexus) come with pathetic moped horns. You can get Hella replacement "trumpet" horns with a Toyota plug on it. Draws about the same current as the original but sounds like a horn should.

• Like 6

I replaced mine with a set of PIAA Dual Tone SUPERIOR HORNS 330/400Hz. You can buy an adapter to supply the 12v, no need for a relay, plenty of space where the horn is and a ground point is near by.

• Like 3

I think it's a japanese thing - It's a very polite horn, especially compared to the angry german ones!! :eek: 

PartsKing had one he was suggesting, but if he offers it, politely decline unless you don't like having ear drums :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Colonel bogey air horns at least I'd say.

Or one of those really deep throated ones that they fit to ambulances for when people cannot hear normal sirens,or see bright blue lights behind them.

Sound a bit like the fog horn on the the QE 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think it's a japanese thing - It's a very polite horn, especially compared to the angry german ones!!

Yeah, or maybe an Asian thing. They tend to use the horn as a means of moving forward. I think in Europe we want to make sure it's clear we're serious when we use the horn.

I loved the Citroën CX, it came with both a trumpet horn and dual FIAMM compressor horns... as standard! Seriously "horny" car. 🚘 😏  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, APS said:

Yeah, or maybe an Asian thing. They tend to use the horn as a means of moving forward. I think in Europe we want to make sure it's clear we're serious when we use the horn.

I loved the Citroën CX, it came with both a trumpet horn and dual FIAMM compressor horns... as standard! Seriously "horny" car. 🚘 😏  

So when you pressed it did the suspension rise up.:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, APS said:

Oh the CX, a light press resulted in the “town” horn, louder than almost everything else. 
BUT a full press, the “county” horn was unbeatable. I once did it as a mate walked in front of my car as I was queueing in traffic, he jumped in the air and fell onto the boot of the car in front. I didn’t laugh!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

yeah the horn sounds feeble inside the car, don`t know about outside, but wondering is there a legal decibel limit on car horns?

On 4/13/2024 at 11:38 AM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Colonel bogey air horns at least I'd say.

Or one of those really deep throated ones that they fit to ambulances for when people cannot hear normal sirens,or see bright blue lights behind them.

Sound a bit like the fog horn on the the QE 2.

Reminds me of this gem:

How do I take the black  plastic cover off in front of the radiator so I can get down at the horn?

Thanks 

11 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

How do I take the black  plastic cover off in front of the radiator so I can get down at the horn?

Thanks 

Take quick look at this 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

Thanks 

A nice dinner and a bottle of wine

• Haha 3

I tried unclipping that cover, the clips snapped. I couldn't get a few outxso I dcude to bend the cover out of the way. NEVER DO THAT.

The cover snapped nearly in two. Very very fragile, and crazy expensive for a new one.

Mine is now gafer'd together but ye gaffer tape is not sticking too well so I might get some black CT1 and fill the crack/split with that.

I also have to buy the clips also, and for what they are, £1 approx each is just ridiculous.

At least I have a loud horn now, already copiously used at various roundabouts today 

1 hour ago, mikmikmikmik said:

I tried unclipping that cover, the clips snapped. I couldn't get a few outxso I dcude to bend the cover out of the way. NEVER DO THAT.

The cover snapped nearly in two. Very very fragile, and crazy expensive for a new one.

Mine is now gafer'd together but ye gaffer tape is not sticking too well so I might get some black CT1 and fill the crack/split with that.

I also have to buy the clips also, and for what they are, £1 approx each is just ridiculous.

At least I have a loud horn now, already copiously used at various roundabouts today 

Isn't it annoying how easy things look in the videos, rarely like that in real life in my experience.

So which horn/s did you use?

44 minutes ago, 50p said:

looks good value!

Just got one yesterday, got just about every plastic clip you can think of

• Like 1

I ordered this one from Amazon.

Now please seey new post I am just about to write about what I found under that plastic cover, it isn't good.

Screenshot_20240419_212133_Amazon Shopping.jpg

8 minutes ago, mikmikmikmik said:

I ordered this one from Amazon.

Now please seey new post I am just about to write about what I found under that plastic cover, it isn't good.

Screenshot_20240419_212133_Amazon Shopping.jpg

That exactly the same as mine only mine cheaper but you get faster delivery... Which horns did you go for. 

1 minute ago, taxidriver50005 said:

That exactly the same as mine only mine cheaper but you get faster delivery... Which horns did you go for. 

Halfords sell a two tone horns for £15 or so, so I bought them. 

Since there is already a horn relay in the engine bay front of the driver, I didn't bother with another one for the new horns. The old horn is on holiday in my shed now, it's had a busy life with just me the last couple of weeks ;)

You can also buy just these cover clips from TEMU

Screenshot_20240420_071609_Temu.jpg

Is upgrading the horn an easy(ish) DIY job? Would be appreciative if someone could post a step by step. 

Could it potentially void warranty or even insurance making a change like this?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links