Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 PHEV driving mode

Shepsy

9 hours ago, ernieb said:

I tried it a number of times after the car had bedded in and there is some retardation but it's not very useful and the ICE really screams if you're descending a steep hill. Better to select the 'sport' mode. You'd be better throwing your imaginary spare wheel out of the back with a rope attached??? 😇 

😂👍👍

Definitely an easy smooth drive.

For those that don't know, you can automatically engage or disengage the electronic handbrake though simply putting the shifter (American term) into Park or Drive respectively. Setting buried in the options somewhere. Can't recall who pointed it out now but it was like some revelation for me. Even lazier.😅

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

For those that don't know, you can automatically engage or disengage the electronic handbrake though simply putting the shifter (American term) into Park or Drive respectively. Setting buried in the options somewhere. Can't recall who pointed it out now but it was like some revelation for me. Even lazier.😅

Mine was set like that from new by the dealer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick72 said:

IIRC, push the handbrake button down for a few seconds until it beeps to disable auto-handbrake, pull it up a few seconds until it beeps to enable it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Mine was set like that from new by the dealer. 

Same for me. 

So are we saying, in stationary traffic/long set of lights, best to stick it in Park and use the auto hold function? 

I usually keep brake pedal on, but its annoying for drivers behind especially in the dark, and can become tiring. 
I don't like leaving in Neutral on the flat, in case of a gentle roll, or someone drives into the back of you. 
I've sometimes stuck in N and then applied handbrake manually - bit of a faff tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_J said:

Same for me. 

So are we saying, in stationary traffic/long set of lights, best to stick it in Park and use the auto hold function? 

I usually keep brake pedal on, but its annoying for drivers behind especially in the dark, and can become tiring. 
I don't like leaving in Neutral on the flat, in case of a gentle roll, or someone drives into the back of you. 
I've sometimes stuck in N and then applied handbrake manually - bit of a faff tho. 

No because that will cut the engine which may be required to charge the Battery. The handbook does advise leaving in drive when stationary at lights etc, it is not like a conventional auto that such use can cause premature wear. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P_J said:

Same for me. 

Auto Hold will also illuminate the rear brake lights

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:
3 hours ago, P_J said:

Same for me. 

Auto Hold will also illuminate the rear brake lights

I suspect that we are now confusing two different functions:

• Automatic mode on the Parking brake - i.e. the mode where the Parking brake is applied automatically when the driver shifts into Park and released when the driver shifts from Park. The brake lights will not illuminate just because the Parking brake is on (but, of course, will if you also leave your foot on the brake pedal).
  • The Brake Hold function which "keeps the brake applied when the shift lever is in a forward driving position or N with the system on and the brake pedal has been depressed to stop the vehicle. The system releases the brake when the accelerator pedal is depressed with the shift lever in the forward driving position to allow smooth start off". In this situation the brake lights are illuminated because the 'brake pedal remains depressed (even if only logically).

It is entirely the driver's choice which of these modes he/she uses. Personally, I use automatic hold on the parking brake and never the brake hold function. If I am stationary for a short while I hold the car on the foot brake; if I am stationary for longer I shift into Park - that works for me and suits my driving style ...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, P_J said:

Same for me. 

I press the hold button at that point rather than put it into park.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links