Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 v1 Map Update Available

philip42h

Good news - the 2024 v1 Map Update is now available and can be downloaded and installed OTA.

Less good news, our favourite numpties at Toyota have messed up the structuring of the update files for installation via USB. Specifically, they have placed all the update files in the root directory whereas the car expects to see a folder named FMU within the root directory and the update files in there.

Very simple to 'fix' once you realise - create the FMU folder for yourself and move the update files down into that.

(Or probably wait a few days for Toyota to realise and fix it themselves)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Something a bit screwed with this map update.
Download of zip file appears to be corrupted. Tried various methods to get around it but the car refused to validate the files.
Tried an OTA update. Downloaded OK and started to install but failed. Car said full map update required.
Looks like Toyota have got something quite wrong with this one.
Still waiting to hear back from them.

ETA: The eStore is also now showing an error for me so I cannot re-download and try again. Hopefully they are already aware and will sort it out.

• Like 1

The Zip file is not corrupt - I have just now downloaded it for a third time. It takes a little while but downloads OK.

My befuddled brain vaguely remembers folk have difficulty unpacking the, apparently corrupt, Zip file on Apple devices (maybe) and having to use a third-party unpacking tool. Maybe another forum member / victim of that feature can remember and put us straight on that one?

This morning's download still incorrectly places the update files in the root directory, so that the workaround I mentioned above is still required.

And the success of an OTA update depends on the base maps not being too out of date - though I'm none too sure quite how "too out of date" is defined. I always update via USB since that saves the OTA download bandwidth, is always successful and I have two cars to do (with the same USB).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, philip42h said:

My befuddled brain vaguely remembers folk have difficulty unpacking the, apparently corrupt, Zip file on Apple devices (maybe) and having to use a third-party unpacking tool. Maybe another forum member / victim of that feature can remember and put us straight on that one?

Not quite so befuddled after all ... phew! See:

There's discussion in this thread, and a linked one too, of needing to use the Unarchiver tool on a Mac and or the third-party 7-zip tool. If you are in Mac world that might be worth a try ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

There's discussion in this thread, and a linked one too, of needing to use the Unarchiver tool on a Mac and or the third-party 7-zip tool. If you are in Mac world that might be worth a try ...

I am using a Mac and the previous 3 updates all downloaded, unpacked and installed OK. This time it seems to be more of a problem than just the platform or browser. Still no response from Toyota so I will persevere.

The OTA update failed, possibly for the reason you suggest, but I find that hard to believe because the currently installed map is 2023v2, i.e. the most recently available prior to this release. Perhaps there are several intermediate OTA updates between major releases and you need the most recent of those.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trying another download and unpack now using different tools. So far, looks good. Copy to USB OK. The car will be the arbiter.

Car has accepted the USB, validated the files, accepted the activation code and is now updating the database. 
Hopefully that will be it. Will know in an hour or so. 

And… we got a winner.

• Like 1

Took an age to download (server must have been busy), as Philip said I put the extracted iso files into a root folder named FMU, took just over an hour to update. 

All done.

IMG_6365.jpeg

Over an hour is usual, but you can stop the update by leaving the car and then it will pick up when you start the car again. I often start the process with the car on the  drive, leave the fob in the car and lock the doors with the mechanical key. (I turn off things like heating etc. and just let it do it's thing) I can keep an eye on the car but as it all runs on the traction Battery there is very little indication that the car is running.

First of all thanks for the useful information on this topic.  I have not had my car long and when I updated the maps with the 2023 update a couple of weeks ago I had some issues.  At first I used my Mac with a USB 3.0 32GB flash drive which was unsuccessful.  I then used an older Windows 10 laptop, with a USB 2.0 16GB flash drive and this worked fine.  I used the same combination yesterday to successfully download the 2024 update, which I have just installed.  I created my own FMU folder for the ISO files as suggested.  It wasn't my intention to use the built in navigation much as I thought I would have to pay for updates, but again as has been pointed out elsewhere the cars come with map updates at no cost during the OE factory warranty period (3 years in my case).👍

I use a Mac and Safari - do not use the default Archive Utility - it does not work. I downloaded an app called - The Unarchiver. It works fine the key thing is to ensure no other folder in the USB drive so if you've deleted the old one there will be a hidden folder. Use the Disk Utility and select the USB and use ERASE, leave the format as 32. Eject and reinstall copy files into the FMU folder (you my need to create this if the download did not provide one.

• Like 1

I have a Camry but this thread is for the same issue so I give it a chance.

Downloaded and unzipped it on Windows 11, the filename is 2024v1_MapUpdate/added the folder FMU/placed the update files inside. (formated 32Gb USB/Fat32, have worked before)

Still don´t find the USB when connect it to the car.

2024v1_MapUpdate->FMU->update files. 

Anyone have an explanation?

You should only have one folder in the USB, FMU. Inside the FMU folder you should have the unzipped files, (map ISO files and the checksum file)

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:36 AM, philip42h said:

I had a similar issue, the default Mac extractor corrupted the download.  I downloaded Unarchiver tool and downloaded the map update again.  I did get a message suggesting a problem but the zip file was still sat in the downloads folder this time and I used the Unarchiver tool to unzip the files.  

As I didn't bother with the previous 2023 update I wondered if that may cause a problem with jumping to the 2024 v2 version (I'm driving through France/Netherlands/Germany in June so thought it wise to update to the latest as a backup to Waze). No issues at all just the usual 75 odd minute load time sat in the car reading my Kindle.

At least the ‘Mac unarchiver’ tells you it’s in trouble. 

They don't make it easy do they but I managed to get mine updated.

First hurdle was the car didn't even seem tom know the USB stick was plugged in. Quick look seemed to suggest the drive needs to be formatted fat32 rather than exfat.

Oh but wait.... windows 10 doesn't let you format large drives fat32... Queue 3rd party tool to format drive as fat32.

Copy files a second time (this takes an age on its own)

Car still doesn't notice it...

Checked here, noted the lack of the FMU folder so rejigged the files around and the car finds it now! (not sure if fat32 helped or not at this point)

Left car updating for an hour, not sure how you'd achieve this safely without a drive and/or an area that's not a dive.

But job done, 10 times more difficult than it should be.

1 hour ago, Tom_w said:

not sure how you'd achieve this safely without a drive

About 15x 5 minute drives would do just as well, or 5x 15 minute ones ...

(We can interrupt the update process - it doesn't have to be done all in one go!)

On 4/26/2024 at 12:06 PM, Rambler56 said:

I had a similar issue, the default Mac extractor corrupted the download.  I downloaded Unarchiver tool and downloaded the map update again.  I did get a message suggesting a problem but the zip file was still sat in the downloads folder this time and I used the Unarchiver tool to unzip the files.  

As I didn't bother with the previous 2023 update I wondered if that may cause a problem with jumping to the 2024 v2 version (I'm driving through France/Netherlands/Germany in June so thought it wise to update to the latest as a backup to Waze). No issues at all just the usual 75 odd minute load time sat in the car reading my Kindle.

Interesting….

never had an issue with any of my macs or partitioning “large” usbs into 32gb chunks and formatting fat32

So today I decided to download the Spring 2024 map update (free as part of my 3 year subscription deal) and yes I can see the map as an option in the e-store.

However, when I click the 'Add to Basket' button nothing happens.  My cart says it is empty and so I return to the e-store page and start over.  It has been 8 times I have tried unsuccessfully to add the map update.

I wonder if the team maintaining the web page have disabled the 'on click' functionality of the button?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Poacher71 said:

So today I decided to download the Spring 2024 map update (free as part of my 3 year subscription deal) and yes I can see the map as an option in the e-store.

However, when I click the 'Add to Basket' button nothing happens.  My cart says it is empty and so I return to the e-store page and start over.  It has been 8 times I have tried unsuccessfully to add the map update.

I wonder if the team maintaining the web page have disabled the 'on click' functionality of the button?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks 

Did you check your “purchased” tab. It wont add already purchased items to basket

Hell to everyone

First time owner of Toyota, hope you could help rookie with question or two regarding installation of maps?

3 days ago I bought our first rav4 2.5 hybrid,(family car) 2022year, very happy with car, noticed no maps (only trough app over phone)

started asking around how to get maps (where to download and how to install?) on our family car so we don't have to connect our phones with cable every time we need google maps , and came across your group .

Really would like/hope to get some help from group if possible? Link?

Also question, will this have any effect on my 3 year warranty if I am installing software on my own?

Thank you for helping

57 minutes ago, Bokiari said:

3 days ago I bought our first rav4 2.5 hybrid,(family car) 2022year, very happy with car, noticed no maps

This thread relates to applying updates to maps within cars that already have them. You can't "just add maps" ...

So, the question for you is why doesn't your car have satellite navigation in the first place? What grade of RAV4 do you have? What is the specification of the multimedia system provided with the car?

Hi

All I got was service book with car, and when I was asking about car explained it is Luna version, and that I can connect my phone with google maps and use it that way.

How can I get more info about multimedia system first of all? I would love to give you as much as possible details as long someone can tell me what to ask main dealer if needed so I can come back to you and see if I can get it working?

Appreciate help

The 2021/22 Luna version is advertised as having Sat Nav.  What do you see when you press the 'Map' function button (bottom left button)?

• Like 1

hi

sorry for late reply, when I press map function it says

Function not available

Navigation not available on your system.

Don't understand why?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links