Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Yaris cant find Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1

John Armfield

Can any one please give me some advice, I've bought a Toyota Yaris as a project to tidy up and to give to my son as run around car and to get to work, I've owed various Yaris in the past and found them highly rated cars.

I would like to locate the Heated Oxygen Sensor upstream of the catalytic converter the Yaris is a 1.3 GLS 2001 2NZ-FE, looking in the obvious place the catalytic converter also seems missing which seems strange or am I missing something? please see photos, any help would be appreciated. In the photo it also seems a connection point has a missing contact as well. 

I've checked the car diagnostics and the fault code reads P0125 and P0135 which points to this issue, the engine starts and runs however under load or acceleration there is some hesitation.

I am happy to spend any amount time repairing the car as generally it seems worth while and keeps me busy, figures crossed it turns out ok.

John.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

PM The reg number to me, I will post up the location

• Like 1

Looks for all the world like the cat has been removed and replaced with a bit of pipework and presumably done to avoid fixing whatever was wrong. 

The cat can fail for any number of reasons and if the engine is running without an O2 sensor then its running 'open loop' which means it will never run correctly or meet emissions standards.

• Like 2

Agree with Mooly above, definately looks to have been deleted!

Found this on eBay which seems to be sensibley priced at £86.00 :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165938490296?fits=Cars+Type%3A1.3|Cars+Year%3A2001|Model%3AYaris%2FVitz&itmmeta=01HVNQ84E3H5PXSGTHX8PPV2SM&hash=item26a2b46bb8:g:b~EAAOSwBC5j62yb&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HB6bBasmcNe2FZI35kCRoRgH%2B3ztwLDQYHJOXVdLUX26GhuQ1GbZQgqeKc5EsfAyzkffvLrNH8YKaodf%2F4xfHgRpq9wXOeEnykPQ%2BupPNN6psrm%2FJVc3W1BBw4fDLhbll7Zv853l3%2BSVUcviXtHEvnGHPX%2F5rJwnioTZvM2k%2BY0ZJWEhY0di9FWmng4IPhUm7RdUmxJtVX119HK%2FEd2S03x6YOomFzr0I85vjv%2BOFvydnEUxk5UwGSXdmaCmlGDQLo22yCOMbXtKAYJRWp%2B2DjMDD3uKh6Rs5tYcl1QrMK7meZZrrKNLRn2vEY4qXU4HA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5LHoLfdYw

It looks to be right to fit that front section of the exhaust down pipe. BM Cat's are ok, I used one a few years ago to replace one on a Citroen C1 which had gone faulty and causing constant EML light to come on. The C1 cat wasn't 100% to pattern but went on ok with a bit of trial and error but saved a fortune on the genuine part. Of course you'll also need the Lambda sensor as well.

• Like 1

Where did you buy the car? If it was from a dealer, then they could be in serious trouble. I'm not so sure of the position if it was a private sale.

• Like 1

yep its had its cat stolen and both sensors have gone, note the saw marks on the front pipe

GLS models are usually 1.3 auto, 2001 and a 2NZ makes Japanese built cars, this is important as a lot of parts vary from the French built cars

• Like 1

Thank you for all your advice, most helpful.

I’ve bought the car recently and it was a private sale so I wasn’t to clever in checking it over. The owner seemed genuine however that proved not to be the case, anyway I want to move on and repair for my son. It’s a manual and the registration is LS51 VZP, as said I’m going to go all over the car  to get it back to what it should be. Any good recommendations for parts would also be appreciated.

Thanks John 

This is how they should be, as mentioned, this is a Japanese built model and most parts are different to the French built model, most will NOT interchange 

image.thumb.png.1015c5722f47e142b388aeab1e9789f9.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Agree with Mooly above, definately looks to have been deleted!

Found this on eBay which seems to be sensibley priced at £86.00 :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165938490296?fits=Cars+Type%3A1.3|Cars+Year%3A2001|Model%3AYaris%2FVitz&itmmeta=01HVNQ84E3H5PXSGTHX8PPV2SM&hash=item26a2b46bb8:g:b~EAAOSwBC5j62yb&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HB6bBasmcNe2FZI35kCRoRgH%2B3ztwLDQYHJOXVdLUX26GhuQ1GbZQgqeKc5EsfAyzkffvLrNH8YKaodf%2F4xfHgRpq9wXOeEnykPQ%2BupPNN6psrm%2FJVc3W1BBw4fDLhbll7Zv853l3%2BSVUcviXtHEvnGHPX%2F5rJwnioTZvM2k%2BY0ZJWEhY0di9FWmng4IPhUm7RdUmxJtVX119HK%2FEd2S03x6YOomFzr0I85vjv%2BOFvydnEUxk5UwGSXdmaCmlGDQLo22yCOMbXtKAYJRWp%2B2DjMDD3uKh6Rs5tYcl1QrMK7meZZrrKNLRn2vEY4qXU4HA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5LHoLfdYw

It looks to be right to fit that front section of the exhaust down pipe. BM Cat's are ok, I used one a few years ago to replace one on a Citroen C1 which had gone faulty and causing constant EML light to come on. The C1 cat wasn't 100% to pattern but went on ok with a bit of trial and error but saved a fortune on the genuine part. Of course you'll also need the Lambda sensor as well.

Thanks for the information Derek, I've ordered one of these, as you say may need a bit of jigery pokery and a bit of luck I should be able to make it fit.

One again thanks to you all for your expertise and quick response.

John.

• Like 1

That's ok John,

The Aygo/C1 Cat is more of a faff to fit as its sits right in the front of the engine and is combined with the outlet  manifold and has an extra mounting which wasn't spot on out the box. Having said that I didn't have to make good a bodged cat delete. Presume you've checked compatability as Parts-King suggested. Hope it goes well and let us all know how you get on.

• Like 1

now the expensive bit 02 sensors, you need to see if the wires have been cut, the lower end 02 sensors are Chinese junk and Denso's are not cheap

Denso DOX-0276 and DOX-0204 (direct fit)

or

you have the universal fit for both positions

DOX-0109

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

now the expensive bit 02 sensors, you need to see if the wires have been cut, the lower end 02 sensors are Chinese junk and Denso's are not cheap

Denso DOX-0276 and DOX-0204 (direct fit)

or

you have the universal fit for both positions

DOX-0109

Hi Flash,

Looking at the OP's first image there's a connector he's circled which looks in about the right location for the pre cat sensor. The second image shows an O2 sensor still fitted on the far side of the exhaust with a cable runnning off it but it just disappears.

Hi Bob & Derek,

Yes Derek is right the down stream sensor is already there and the wire goes I guess inside the car around the gear stick console, I should have the BM cat  with the upstream sensor 01 over the weekend or early next week, then its get under the car and get working.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Following a few days working on the Yaris I can confirm the car is now on the road and drives very well,  the 1.3 engine is just brilliant, the works completed include a new cat and o2 sensor, new front discs & brake pads, new brake fluid, air filters replaced, new spark plugs, oil & filter change and replaced the 2 front anti roll bar pins and 2 vacuum pipes. 

I would say most of the work was fairly straight forward, I'm not a  professional  mechanic as you might of already gathered and it did take some time figuring things out, but thankfully theirs help out there to find out what to do. 

I also have learned some older cars are worth saving even when they are 23 years old, they may take time and effort to repair but if you enjoy doing it the result can be very satisfying. 

I'm already looking for another mark one 1.3 to work on which I may keep providing I can talk the wife over, god bless her comment today was I'm glad that heap of junk has now gone😂

• Like 3

at the old banger end of the market, you learn to work on your cars just through necessity and budget as garage labour kills most cars, plenty of unloved mk1 t sports about

Thanks Bob, very true, most of these cars are unloved however with a little TLC they can go on for an amazing time, the parts/materials cost me around £300.00 and I spent around 3 days doing the work on the driveway. I admit l’m retired which also helps, I would also add from what I’ve learnt so far doing anything similar again would take around half the time.

When I look at the cost of new cars now a days I’m wondering for a second run around car which for me would be handy to my wife’s 69 plate Yaris it makes a lot of sense.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links