Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Cams

2toyos

Hi, I'm after some recommendations, I literally just had a STUPID OLD MAN in. Toyota chr cut across both lanes on a A6 round About at Rushden regplate starting K, and pushed me onto the curb damaging my wheels, proceeded to race off, obviously can't do anything now, but for the next time I would like to send it to the police and get them prosecuted

• Like 1

I have quite an old vicovation opia 2 2k for 5.5 years. Recently added a 2k Viofo 119 V3 for the rear. Whichever brand and spec u decide to get, make sure they are super capacitor type. 

• Like 2

I use Nextbase. Currently have a 522GW front and rear camera in my C-HR and will be replacing the 380GW with a front and rear 522GW in the wife's Yaris over the weekend.

I'm replacing the 38GW as it records in 1080p while the 522GW has better resolution at 1440p

• Like 2

Thanks for that, ill be looking for these

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:49 PM, Big_D said:

I use Nextbase. Currently have a 522GW front and rear camera in my C-HR and will be replacing the 380GW with a front and rear 522GW in the wife's Yaris over the weekend.

I'm replacing the 38GW as it records in 1080p while the 522GW has better resolution at 1440p

Have been seriously thinking about a Dashcam - do you have it hard wired by the dealership, or is it a DIY plug-and-play arrangement?

Your nearest Toyota Dealer can hardwire Nextbase 380GWX (front and rear) in for £400 (very reliable, robust, very easy to use cameras). Also, check Halfords out, they have loads of them, for example Road Angel front and rear, pretty decent cameras,  for £199 (can hard wire them for £70). Otherwise, experts on Dash Cam Forums usually recommend Viofo as being best available.

• Like 1

If you can DIY it would be much cheaper to get a set of high quality viofo 2k for around £200 or so. Not everyone can or want to DIY of course. 

My dealer 'special offered £299' to install a next base set, don't know which model, wasn't interested as I could DIY a better and cheaper set.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mpm235 said:

Your nearest Toyota Dealer can hardwire Nextbase 380GWX (front and rear) in for £400 (very reliable, robust, very easy to use cameras). Also, check Halfords out, they have loads of them, for example Road Angel front and rear, pretty decent cameras,  for £199 (can hard wire them for £70). Otherwise, experts on Dash Cam Forums usually recommend Viofo as being best available.

Thanks for the info, guys.   Mark, your info sounds good, assuming the £400 is a total cost.  Would have done it myself at one time but, at 89, the twisting and turning in the confines of a C-HR would probably cause me to regret it.

• Haha 2

I wonder why we are so hooked on 'Dash' cams?

The dash cam is as likely to record you hitting something as something hitting you.

A rear camera is much more likely to record tailgating and ramming although it will still record your reversing faux pas.

I would say always install front and rear cams.

Given that many cars now have front, rear, and side cams, why are these not configured with a recording function?

• Like 1

I think the storage would be a problem - Early Teslas are already suffering failures in the MCU because the flash chips are getting worn out by the sheer amount of data that's cycled through them. (And that's a huge problem on a Tesla because the MCU controls pretty much everything!)

We might see it eventually but I don't think there's been enough consumer demand for them to do anything about it; It's a bit like SatNavs - We had third-party satnavs for ages before they started integrating them into cars.

Personally, I originally got a Dashcam to record fun journeys - It was triggered by the first time I went to Budleigh Salterton via the A303 - I left London at some ungodly hour of the morning, but the journey there was magical - Hardly any cars initially because it was so early, and I was also driving through such thick fog that I didn't know the sun had come up until I went up a long incline and burst out of the fog into the morning sun! It was an amazing view, as the fog was all below me and it looked like I was driving on clouds :laugh: 

It was such a scenic journey and the lack of traffic made it a really fun run; I've never had such a clear run down there since, as the traffic tends to be a lot worse these days!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

We might see it eventually but I don't think there's been enough consumer demand for them to do anything about it; It's a bit like SatNavs - We had third-party satnavs for ages before they started integrating them into cars.

Indeed and now the operation knowledge of them has become part of the current driving test!! Sheesh®!!

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Personally, I originally got a dashcam to record fun journeys - It was triggered by the first time I went to Budleigh Salterton via the A303 - I left London at some ungodly hour of the morning, but the journey there was magical - Hardly any cars initially because it was so early, and I was also driving through such thick fog that I didn't know the sun had come up until I went up a long incline and burst out of the fog into the morning sun! It was an amazing view, as the fog was all below me and it looked like I was driving on clouds :laugh: 

Used to do that in Cyprus going up the windy roads through Platres and on up to the top of Troodos... (in another life) It was awesome! 🤩

• Like 1

CPN said of dash cams, “noe the operational knowledge of them has become part of the current driving test.”

Is that the theory test, or during the actual driving test on the road?  If the latter, does this now mean that all cars used for the driving test must be fitted with dash cams?   I cannot see how the ability to use a dash cam fits into the driving test - referring to it whilst driving condones distraction, and later (proper) use of it is essentially for using it to support an insurance claim/report a misdemeanour to the police.  It is not an instrument for judging driving ability.

• Haha 1

You need to reread my OP... @Cyker mentioned SatNavs and that's what my comment was referring to...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

CPN said of dash cams, “noe the operational knowledge of them has become part of the current driving test.”

Is that the theory test, or during the actual driving test on the road?  If the latter, does this now mean that all cars used for the driving test must be fitted with dash cams?   I cannot see how the ability to use a dash cam fits into the driving test - referring to it whilst driving condones distraction, and later (proper) use of it is essentially for using it to support an insurance claim/report a misdemeanour to the police.  It is not an instrument for judging driving ability.

He meant operation knowledge of SatNavs has become part of the test, not dashcams :laugh: 

Although at the rate things are going, dashcams might too, in the not-too-distant future :laugh: 

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

He meant operation knowledge of SatNavs has become part of the test, not dashcams :laugh: 

Although at the rate things are going, dashcams might too, in the not-too-distant future :laugh: 

Actually, I was referring to dash cams.  But doesn’t it meaning satnavs make things worse?  Surely a new driver, taking the test, should be required to “read the road” and progress forwards by following visual sign boards - not concentrate on a satnav that might possibly give an incorrect instruction.  Occasionally, all my satnavs Stand alone or integrated) have tried to take me off course.  If I am going somewhere new to me, I look on Google Maps or Google Earth to plan my route.  Then I ignore a wrong instruction and leave the Satnav to sort itself out and get back on track.  But an inexperienced driver undergoing a test might get panicked by this.

• Like 1

When I changed my insurance recently, one of the questions was "Does the car have a Dashcam ?".   I don't expect this makes a lot of difference to the premium, but they must ask for a reason.

• Like 1

Better and better:

They'll feature during the independent driving section of the practical test. During this section, candidates will need to follow directions from a sat nav. You won't be able to bring your own sat nav—this will be provided by the examiner, who will also set the device up.18 Jan 2024

PassMeFast

In Bath once mine took me up a road to a right turn.  To execute the turn would have required climbing a 2 foot wall before descending a long flight of steps.

I was left with no alternative but to reverse a couple of hundred yards or press on up hill.  The road was narrow, cars blocked half the road and I was lucky no car came the other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

When I changed my insurance recently, one of the questions was "Does the car have a Dashcam ?".   I don't expect this makes a lot of difference to the premium, but they must ask for a reason.

Could be to indicate that you can verify a happening.  Could be to show if the car had something worth pinching.  Who knows why the insurers ask some of these questions, but you can be sure that it is more likely to be a premium upper rather than anything else?

• Like 1

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Actually, I was referring to dash cams.  But doesn’t it meaning satnavs make things worse?  Surely a new driver, taking the test, should be required to “read the road” and progress forwards by following visual sign boards - not concentrate on a satnav that might possibly give an incorrect instruction.  Occasionally, all my satnavs Stand alone or integrated) have tried to take me off course.  If I am going somewhere new to me, I look on Google Maps or Google Earth to plan my route.  Then I ignore a wrong instruction and leave the Satnav to sort itself out and get back on track.  But an inexperienced driver undergoing a test might get panicked by this.

I know, that's what I was saying - The test doesn't have any new part about dash cams, only sat navs.

I think the idea with the SatNav is you should be able to follow the instructions of one safely and reasonably confidently.

Interestingly, following it correctly isn't part of the test, so if you accidentally go down the wrong road, which is easy to do when the SatNav says Turn Left NOW! when it doesn't actually mean NOW, the examiner will just expect you to get back on course, safely, without panicking and doing something dangerous like a sudden U-turn or blind reverse :laugh:  and shouldn't mark you down.

I'm sure they will mark you down if you really balls up the instructions repeatedly (e.g. it tells you to turn left and you turn right instead, and then it recalculates the route but instead of following it you drive to Solihull instead), but for an honest mistake they aren't supposed to mark you down as that's not what they're testing. I've even heard of learners getting complimented by the examiner on how they got themselves out of a satnav-related pickle.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 5:48 PM, Haliotis said:

Have been seriously thinking about a dashcam - do you have it hard wired by the dealership, or is it a DIY plug-and-play arrangement?

In my first C-HR I had mine hardwired by the Dealer (cost of £95.00) although I supplied the hardwire kit and camera. My current C-HR came with a Dashcam as part of the negotiated deal (also fitted by the Dealer). The Nextbase comes with a power cable that can be plugged into the lighter accessory socket,  making it a plug and play arrangement

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links