Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tensioner belt issue

Shah g

Taken my toyota avensis 2013 2ltr diesel with snaped tensioner belt. Was told it needs belt. Replaced and belt snaped again in garage. So added pully with belt, replaced bought home and belt snaped again. 

Now have to take it back but no idea what other expense Will be bought up. Any idea why its keep snaping. Enging sounded louder than normal. 

So it wasnt very smooth sound during all this hapening. 

Please suggest 

is your AC and alternator seized?  

• Like 3

On 4/17/2024 at 11:23 PM, rob42 said:

is your AC and alternator seized?  

Good tip. 
I would also check the main crank pulley, which normally has a rubber layer between the inner and outer parts, and damps the vibrations to the belt. The rubber can split and cause the belt the shred and snap. The inner and outer halves in the pulley will slip, especially under load from the alternator and air-condition demand. Also the pulley may wobble! 

Also check the water pump just in case it is about to seize. My water pump was beginning to sound noisy, and the coolant level dropping slightly. My engine is the petrol 2ZR 1.8 Valvematic. I took the belt off to check the water pump and started the engine for a short time to eliminate the cause of the noise. Sure enough it was the water pump. A few days after replacing the water pump, I tried to turn the old pump and it was totally seized! I also checked the crank pulley and alternator pulley (including the freewheel), they were fine.  

The diesel has more more pulleys so check the two idler pulleys for smooth rotation and play.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links