Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 4 Average MPG Reset?

ninanina

I only picked up my new (to me) gen 4 last week and I’m beginning to learn every single setting there is, and there’s a lot 

What I can’t figure out is how to reset the Average MPG, it’s the one on the main dash below the MPH

I can reset the trip etc by using the trip button on the steering wheel but can’t figure out resetting the Average 

Average is currently 66.4 mpg 

Thanks for any guidance 

I’m loving my gen 4 and it’s a big step up from my outgoing gen 2

It’s quieter, more comfortable and steers better

I got the Business Edition Plus, with just 31,000 miles, and there’s so many toys on it. I particularly like the blind spot monitors and the automatic lights 

Hi Beverley, Trip Odometer Reset, give this a try. Resetting the trip odometer should instruct the car to calculate a new average MPG from your next refill, effectively starting fresh. Use the trip button on the steering wheel as you're familiar with.Hope this helps.:smile:

Thanks for the advice Bper

I have reset Trip A & B but it didn’t reset the Average readout which still shows as 66.4

Just wondering if the car somehow knows when it’s filled up with fuel and then resets the meter?

2 hours ago, ninanina said:

Just wondering if the car somehow knows when it’s filled up with fuel and then resets the meter?

That's exactly how it works in the Yaris but you have to fill up. Part fill won't do it...

• Like 2

Thanks CPN 

I was almost joking when I asked the question but now knowing how many gadgets the new car has I suspected it might be that 

Can any gen 4 owners confirm it’s the same as CPN’s Yaris 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Thanks CPN 

I was almost joking when I asked the question but now knowing how many gadgets the new car has I suspected it might be that 

Can any gen 4 owners confirm it’s the same as CPN’s Yaris 

Actually, I should qualify my last with that's how it works in the Mk4 2020-2023. In my 2024 Premiere Edition, you now have to reset it manually...

Thanks again CPN that’s really helpful 

Mine is 2017 but I’m guessing nothing too much is different from the later Mk 4’s

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 12:36 PM, ninanina said:

I only picked up my new (to me) gen 4 last week and I’m beginning to learn every single setting there is, and there’s a lot 

What I can’t figure out is how to reset the Average MPG, it’s the one on the main dash below the MPH

I can reset the trip etc by using the trip button on the steering wheel but can’t figure out resetting the Average 

Average is currently 66.4 mpg 

Thanks for any guidance 

For Gen4 Prius use trip button to show ODO on main display this shows total mileage and overall fuel consumption - as you have already found - when in this screen press and hold trip button until avg mpg shows zero and release trip button. Display will then show average consumption until you do another reset ( a quick press will move to Trip A). Resetting the trip A and B will not affect the overall figure. Hope this makes sense, enjoy your car.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex Tiff said:

For Gen4 Prius use trip button to show ODO on main display this shows total mileage and overall fuel consumption - as you have already found - when in this screen press and hold trip button until avg mpg shows zero and release trip button. Display will then show average consumption until you do another reset ( a quick press will move to Trip A). Resetting the trip A and B will not affect the overall figure. Hope this makes sense, enjoy your car.

Thanks Ex Tiff

It’s currently showing average mpg and total mileage.  So if I press and hold the trip button with that showing does that reset the average mpg?   If I’ve understood you correctly 

It worked on mine, only bit I got wrong the average consumption will not go show zeros it will show '--/--'. If you get the on-line owners manual from the Toyota official website it seems to have a lot more information than the hard copy supplied with the car, unless you're the anorak type like me it's awfully heavy going to read through.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ex Tiff said:

It worked on mine, only bit I got wrong the average consumption will not go show zeros it will show '--/--'. If you get the on-line owners manual from the Toyota official website it seems to have a lot more information than the hard copy supplied with the car, unless you're the anorak type like me it's awfully heavy going to read through.

Thanks Ex Tiff 

I’ve already downloaded the manual, all 748 pages of it!

I have just managed to find the section about resetting the average consumption and your suggestion was spot on so I’ll give that a go tomorrow 

I’m also a bit of an anorak which is just as well as I found out loads from reading the full manual 

Thanks again for your help

• Like 1

Thanks Ex Tiff I’ve managed to reset the average mpg.  Mine went back to zero’s, and after a few miles it’s now on about 88

Thanks for your help 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links