Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help appreciated 2010 d4d avensis fuel pump.

Kevin47

Hi folks. I have a question regarding the fuel pump. Car stalled after taking off from junction and has failed to start since. Its cranking as normal but won't start. At a guess it's starved of fuel as it wouldn't start while towing either. I removed the back seat to try and hear pump when ignition turned on. Not a peep. Could a faulty fuel relay switch stop power to the pump? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Kevin47 said:

Hi folks. I have a question regarding the fuel pump. Car stalled after taking off from junction and has failed to start since. Its cranking as normal but won't start. At a guess it's starved of fuel as it wouldn't start while towing either. I removed the back seat to try and hear pump when ignition turned on. Not a peep. Could a faulty fuel relay switch stop power to the pump? Thanks in advance.

Make sure to plug in to the OBD to see if there is any codes stored, as crank no start could be caused by any number of things.

And yes a faulty relay can cause power to the fuel pump to stop.

If you are going along the lines of fuel starvation, keep in mind there is a high pressure pump under the bonnet also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oisin said:

Make sure to plug in to the OBD to see if there is any codes stored, as crank no start could be caused by any number of things.

And yes a faulty relay can cause power to the fuel pump to stop.

If you are going along the lines of fuel starvation, keep in mind there is a high pressure pump under the bonnet also.

Hi Kevin,Yes, a faulty fuel pump relay could be causing your Avensis not to start. The fuel pump relay controls the power supply to the fuel pump. When you turn on the ignition, a working relay allows electricity to flow to the pump, pressurising the fuel system for starting.A faulty relay can malfunction in a couple of ways, stuck on continuously powering the pump or stuck off with no power reaching the pump. In your situation, a stuck off relay would prevent the pump from activating, causing starting problems.

Given your Avensis's symptoms stalling and not starting despite cranking, a faulty fuel pump relay is a likely possibility. Unfortunately, exact relay locations can vary depending on the Avensis model Saloon, Hatchback, Estate. Your best bet is to have a read through your owner's manual for a diagram.

There are a couple of ways to check the relay swapping it with another identical relay if possible or using a multimeter to test voltage at the relay terminals. In the event that it isn't the relay while a bad fuel pump relay is a likely suspect, some of the other issues worth looking at that can prevent your starting, such as a malfunctioning fuel pump itself, clogged fuel filter, or faulty crankshaft position sensor. Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links