Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 2024 Driver display needs more

RAV nut

Generally very pleased with my new 2024 RAV4 plugin hybrid, but I have to say Toyota have missed a trick with the new driver display screen. When selecting display info options, there are too many blanks with no detail to select. Why, when Toyota had a blank sheet of paper at the design stage could they not have, say, a Sat Nav screen presentation in the centre between the 2 circular info screens? To me it indicates a lack of effort into what could have been a very good improvement over the previous analogue screen. Much lesser non Toyota vehicles have such driver selection options - and indeed much more, so come on Toyota start issuing some display updates please. 

• Like 1

You can get sat nav directions on the instrument cluster - mine is setup on the right dial of view 3 for instance.
Don't think its possible in the centre part though. 
Its in the owners manual (p216 on mine): 

Select to display the following navi-
gation system-linked information.
 Route guidance to destination
 Street name
 Compass

• Like 1

My sat nav gives directions on the instrument panel…… 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

My sat nav gives directions on the instrument panel…… 

Same mine..

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:41 PM, RAV nut said:

Generally very pleased with my new 2024 RAV4 plugin hybrid, but I have to say Toyota have missed a trick with the new driver display screen. When selecting display info options, there are too many blanks with no detail to select. Why, when Toyota had a blank sheet of paper at the design stage could they not have, say, a Sat Nav screen presentation in the centre between the 2 circular info screens? To me it indicates a lack of effort into what could have been a very good improvement over the previous analogue screen. Much lesser non Toyota vehicles have such driver selection options - and indeed much more, so come on Toyota start issuing some display updates please. 

Well said, I just bought a 2023 HEV RAV4 and the display tech is much poorer than the 2018 Tiguan is traded it for, including satnav in front driver display OR in the central one and ability to resize it. That was a 6 yo car!
The big plus on the RAV is the 360 deg camera. Otherwise it is a lovely car and returning 51mpg over 4000 miles so far. 
Oh and I had to buy a spacesaver spare wheel with tools, not funny Toyota. I know all the excuses and like the sunroof which apparently was the trade off.

Will probably switch in 6 months to the new Honda CRV plug in as I made the wrong choice.

1 hour ago, Fell Walker said:

Well said, I just bought a 2023 HEV RAV4 and the display tech is much poorer than the 2018 Tiguan is traded it for, including satnav in front driver display OR in the central one and ability to resize it. That was a 6 yo car!
The big plus on the RAV is the 360 deg camera. Otherwise it is a lovely car and returning 51mpg over 4000 miles so far. 
Oh and I had to buy a spacesaver spare wheel with tools, not funny Toyota. I know all the excuses and like the sunroof which apparently was the trade off.

Will probably switch in 6 months to the new Honda CRV plug in as I made the wrong choice.

At least there is no grinding noise from the DSG 😉

2 hours ago, Fell Walker said:

51 mpg is impressive for such a big car 

4 hours ago, Fell Walker said:

I sort of understand where you are coming from. I bought a new BMW X3 2.0d in 2017 and really didn't like it. I thought I would settle into it but never did. Compared to the RAV4 it had a much better and comprehensive infotainment system . . . . when it worked and I do/did like my diesels. 

I find the difference between the CR-V and the RAV4 is six of one and half a dozen of the other. The RAV is definitely quicker of the mark and I think it will be possibly kinder on the pocket. Toyota are the grandad of experience in Hybrid technology and I'm sure the RAV will deliver a better fuel consumption to the CR-H.

I think a case for having a space saver is a personal choice, I'm quite happy driving around with my own puncture accessories plus the standard Toyota stuff. 

I'm sure we all just go on the boxes ticked when buying a new car and we don't know how we gel until we've lived with it for some time. I'm still settling in to my RAV but it's got all I need and any more maybe overwhelming, yes for me it could be much more advanced infotainment centre but we can't have it all I suppose, if we did we would have nothing to gripe about😉

On 4/22/2024 at 7:41 PM, RAV nut said:

Yep, and although I hated the Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 GT 300 I had for nearly year before the R4P the driver display was superb. Tom Tom 3D built in showing the overview on the infotainment display and then a high Res large image of the zoomed in directions in the central part of the display, if you wanted to. And many other cool features. But the drive trained sucked, was unreliable, inefficient, and barely got 12 miles a charge in mild winter versus the 37 claimed. And then there were other problems. Like serious problems.

Had nothing remotely on that scale from the R4P.

• Like 2

Sounds very stereotypically french - Very nice cars to be in when you're waiting for recovery :laugh: 

I don't know why but they always seem to have a big weakness in their electronics. Their engines tend to be fairly reliable and even refined, esp. the diesels, and they often have some of the most comfortable interiors and suspension setups, but they're always let down by the electronics...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Sounds very stereotypically french - Very nice cars to be in when you're waiting for recovery :laugh: 

I don't know why but they always seem to have a big weakness in their electronics. Their engines tend to be fairly reliable and even refined, esp. the diesels, and they often have some of the most comfortable interiors and suspension setups, but they're always let down by the electronics...!

It could be because the wiring looms are manufactured in the same factory as camembert.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Fell Walker said:

Why don’t you try a RAV PHEV with the later infotainment system? Or, use your phone apps? Seems a bonkers reason to change car so quickly and cost your wallet a significant hit paying for the depreciation. I do agree the infotainment is poor by today’s standards and the sat nav is rubbish, but it’s not unusable. In my view there are more important considerations when choosing a car. Remember, There is no such thing as a perfect car. 

• Like 3

Yeah that sort of thing has never really been a strength of Toyota - They tend to prioritise reliability and safety, so things like infotainment and interfaces tend to feel a bit out of date compared to the competition; They're functional and work, but don't have the frills that you get with some other marques.

I like things simple so it suits me, but I know people used to BMW and VAG stuff feel like they've stepped back a decade :laugh: 

But then I also feel the same when I see what they have to go through to get at their oil filter :laugh: 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 5:55 PM, Cyker said:

💯 Spot on. And that filtered through into drive train subsystems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links