Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buyer tips and handbrake

NeilAvensisT

Morning all. I have had an Avensis estate for about 3 years, great cars. I looking potentially to downsize but, wanting to stay in the Toyota fold, I am thinking about an Auris. A hatchback model is fine. My requirements are pretty straightforward, petrol, manual, good (top) specification and a manual handbrake (not epb as is my Avensis). How new do the Auris go with a 'normal' handbrake? Any things to really look out for when buying,any known major issues? What's the best one for economy, reliability but a bit of oomph? Thanks 

You'll be pleased to hear the Auris never had an EPB, they went right up to the end of production with a manual handbrake. I'd personally go for the 1.8 hybrid (not available as a manual though), but just be aware that they are vulnerable to catalytic converter thefts.

• Like 4

Hi Neil, i have a 2017 Auris 1.2T auto with a normal handbrake and hasn't missed a beat in 3 years since we purchased it. Not sure if any of the Auris models in the Uk did have EPB, however this has a turbo and it really does shift when needed. It often surprises me for a small engine. As far as major issues go haven't seen any real concerns. This model is often overlooked as reviews have stated its lacklustre etc etc. if you can find one in manual being your preference give it a test drive you will be surprised. However I'm sure others will have their own opinions.Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 4

I initially wasn't 100% sure on the EPB, but I checked a 2018 Auris model brochure from just before they were replaced by the Corolla, all models are shown with a manual handbrake and no mention is made anywhere of an EPB being available.

• Like 4

1.2T manual has plenty oomph for its size. Mines is cvt. Try and get low mileage, well serviced example. Pre april 2017 should be £20 road tax. After that is £160ish road tax. Excel model is top of range.

No real known major problems.

• Like 5

1.6 petrol manual also a good choice. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies to date. As it happens, I helped my son change his car recently and it was a 2019 Corolla 1.2T which I am guessing is the same engine as in the Auris mentioned above? He's really happy with it (but has a epb so not for me). Great to hear that they all came without an epb. No major faults is also encouraging, was the same when I looked into the Corolla for my son, plus my Avensis has been excellent. I will start my search. Cheers all.

• Like 3

Yes its the same engine 8NR-FTS 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 2:15 PM, solero said:

Yes its the same engine 8NR-FTS 

Thank you, I thought it may well be. If anyone spots a nice 2014 - 2017 1.2 or 1.6 manual Excel, please feel free to send me the link, there doesn't seem to be that many about although, to be fair, I am not in a rush. Many thanks all again.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links