Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tapping Us For Money

Bper

Thames Water is lobbying to raise bills to over £600 a year to fix its leaky pipes. They want their customers, people you like and me, to bail them out for their mistakes. All during a cost of living crisis.

Thames Water is in the news right now, but it’s no secret that other companies will do the same given the chance. Water companies in England have over £60 billion in debt between them, and firms like United Utilities and Severn Trent are joining the call for bill hikes. But their plans have to be approved by the regulator, Ofwat. who is only hearing from the companies.:sad:

• Like 1

Hah, that's a nice line; I'm pretty sure the way that would end is we all pay 600 a year and there are even more water leaks than ever!

It's in their own interest to fix leaks but there are multiples that haven't been repaired in literal decades, even when they had money, so why would any one believe they'd fix them if they get given more money?

• Like 2

It's completely appalling the way Water Companies have been behaving. They are nothing but spivs. Their entire boards should be sacked and disqualified from being company directors again.

• Like 1

Don’t we pay a standing charge?  This is for the maintenance of the system.  If the directors and investors have been over-paying themselves, then they should cough up for the system being allowed to fall into disrepair.   It is unethical that the consumers should be required to pay out twice.  In a real democratic country it would be illegal too.

• Like 2

Some of my contemporaries still refer to Anglian water as the "water board".

The water rates used to be included in the rent when I lived in a 60s tower block, around £1.60 a week on top of the £6.50 a week rent iirc.

That was where I first developed my taste for car cruising and bling.

A long time ago I know, but then again the water was drinkable, unlike now where it is over chlorinated to the point I buy bottled water for drinking, the tap stuff stinks.

• Like 3

should never have gone private! scamming the public !!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, toyotahoarder said:

should never have gone private! scamming the public !!

Going private was always a Tory government’s excuse that it made for efficiency and competition to keep prices down.  Ha,ha!

I wonder how many MPs/ministers have shares in these privatised companies?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Going private was always a Tory government’s excuse that it made for efficiency and competition to keep prices down.  Ha,ha!

I wonder how many MPs/ministers have shares in these privatised companies?

If anyone is interested to take a look at MPs financial interests they are open to public scrutiny and I have put a link to the Government web page. Down the left hand side the list of departments are shown.:smile:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-ministers-interests

• Like 1

Nah, ostrich mode works for me.

Heart aint good enough to cope with that annoyance.

• Haha 3

On 4/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, Bper said:

If anyone is interested to take a look at MPs financial interests they are open to public scrutiny

Did you miss out the word 'declared', between "MPs" and "financial" Bob? Just wondering.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Did you miss out the word 'declared', between "MPs" and "financial" Bob? Just wondering.

Hi David, that comment seems to imply that MPs could be receiving undeclared financial remuneration. Next you will be saying that ULEZ is a money making scheme.how very dare you.😂

• Haha 2

@Bper  Please accept my object  abject apology. 😉

• Haha 1

At least here in Wales we are supplied by Welsh water who are a not for profit company . All the profit is reinvested in the company rather than to shareholders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G L J said:

At least here in Wales we are supplied by Welsh water who are a not for profit company . All the profit is reinvested in the company rather than to shareholders.

Hi Gwynfor, I'm surprised Wales has any water left considering the amount of leeks.😂

• Haha 3

Hopefully the next labour government will nationalise the utilities like they are going to do with the railways..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Gwynfor, I'm surprised Wales has any water left considering the amount of leeks.😂

There is a well-come in the hillside 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links