Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid no longer unlocks when handle is touched

itm

As of today our 2016 Auris Hybrid can no longer be locked or unlocked by touching the handle (on either the driver or passenger door). Pressing the button on the fob will lock and unlock it. The problem exists with both keyfobs.

Any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

Does the problem only occur in certain places or everywhere?

I've been noticing there seems to be a weird phenomenon lately where some radio frequencies seem to get randomly jammed/interference in random areas, randomly.

A neighbour had it with the keyless system on their car, colleagues have also had similar with their remote fobs or keyless, and apparently some people have had issues arming/disarming their house alarms with remote fobs.

We've even had a few others post about similar things recently.

It's really weird...! :confused1:

Had lots of theories from solar flares and russian hypno brain rays to pirate radio stations, faulty phone masts etc. but no real concrete evidence or leads...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, itm said:

As of today our 2016 Auris Hybrid can no longer be locked or unlocked by touching the handle (on either the driver or passenger door). Pressing the button on the fob will lock and unlock it. The problem exists with both keyfobs.

It might be your 12v Battery. Check its health. I had the same problem in a Yaris mk2 with a power leak, draining the Battery. When I solved it, the problem ended.

When the 12v Battery is unhealthy, the computer will start to shutdown non essential electric/electronic systems to save what is left of the battery for the starter motor. One of the non essential systems is the hands free door unlocker.

• Like 3

+1 for the 12v Battery

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I can confirm that this happens at more than one location (i.e. not just at home).

From memory I think we had the 12v Battery replaced only a couple of years ago. Is there any DIY way of checking the health of the Battery?

If it needs to be replaced again, is this something that could be done at Halfords or Kwik Fit?

...and in the meantime, could I use a CTEK Multi XS 3600 Battery charger to top it up? I assume that I would connect it to the charging terminal under the bonnet?

The Battery issue is just a suggestion. See how it is, before adventuring into more expensive endeavours. If you see that your Battery is low, try to charge it properly and see if the issue is solved.

In my case, even the button on the handle did not work. I had to use the hidden key on the fob to open the door to get inside. The car did start up, but the first tries failed. This happened on three more occasions, until I realized that the front right headlight leveling motor was dislodged from its place, by a past bump on a garbage bin. The motor was always trying to correct its position, and that was draining the Battery. After getting it in place, the problem ended, the car always started right up and the keyless system was back on again.

This was my case. Yours might have another cause. But before spending money, start with the simple stuff.

OK so I connected the Ctek charger and the problem went away. I'll leave it connected for a few hours until I get a green LED and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 4

After 4 hours the Battery doesn't seem any better. I'm guessing that the terminal under the bonnet is not the correct place to connect a charger? i.e. I should connect it directly to the Battery in the boot?

21 minutes ago, itm said:

After 4 hours the battery doesn't seem any better. I'm guessing that the terminal under the bonnet is not the correct place to connect a charger? i.e. I should connect it directly to the battery in the boot?

Usually yes, best way is directly to the Battery terminal. Although the under bonnet points are direct connection to the 12v Battery, yours might have been dead already. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 10:44 PM, itm said:

My 2013 Auris Excel also would not lock the front doors either by key fob or the touch sensor on the driver side door. 

The main dealer replaced the door mechanism to fix this fault. 

I got this repaired free of charge as I got a free 1 yrs warranty when I got it serviced just before it was 10 yrs old. 

• Like 2

Is that option (touching the handle) only on Excel models ? I have business 2018 and it doesn't seem to have that option ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links