Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X Trend TSS VVT-1CVT

CathyCathy

Son bought a May 21 registered Aygo from Motorpoint 31/08/23.
Car was immaculate inside and out , no wear on pedals , seats,  steering wheel etc.  
Car started high revving last couple of miles home and next day undriveable! Main dealer says clutch burnt out and aux belt cracked and perishing. £1,600 repair bill!  Surely this should be covered by the Toyota 3 year warranty? No-one wants to know! My son has driven automatic cars for the last 12 years so it’s nothing to do with his driving style ! 
Now left with car finance of £14,564 on a car that’s not even three years old ! 
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

Looking at different forums, this seems to be a well known phenomenon with this type of gearbox - surely Toyota should be looking at the amount of problems people are having with it instead of dismissing it out if hand ? 

The second generation Aygo (2014 to 2021) doesn't have a CVT.

The auto option was the X-Shift (or Multi Mode Transmission) which is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch - so different to a normal CVT/automatic.

It is the replacement model, the Aygo X from 2022 onwards, that has a CVT.

For example, when stationary in traffic, etc, the transmission needs to be put into neutral (as with a standard manual gearbox) otherwise the clutch wears. Slightly different driving style to a true automatic/CVT. The owners manual may cover this.

Check with your son as to whether he has adapted his driving style.

Most new car warranties, regardless of which marque it is, only provide limited cover on clutches.

Did Motorpoint describe and sell the car as having a CVT?? If so, you may have a case of mis-selling against Motorpoint. Probably time to seek some legal advice and consider rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What is the mileage ?? when you got the car and what is the mileage now?

it's the mk1 that has had the bulk of the MMT issues, I would get a second opinion asap

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CathyCathy said:

IMG_7208.thumb.png.b34009484f7dc9bba292c5cc1ede2f2c.png

So what is this from?

• Like 1

Hi Cathy, the fact that your son bought the car from Motorpoint 6 months ago (around August/September 2023) affects his consumer rights in one key Way, Right to Reject, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015  there's a short term right to reject a faulty good within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Unfortunately, since it's been 6 months, this right is no longer applicable.

However, there are still strong consumer rights that can help your son in this situation, Goods must be "as described", "of satisfactory quality", and "fit for purpose": The Consumer Rights Act still applies for a reasonable period beyond 6 months. A car with a burnt clutch and cracked auxiliary belt shortly after purchase wouldn't be considered of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Burden of Proof, within the first 6 months of ownership, the burden of proof is on the seller (Motorpoint) to demonstrate the fault wasn't present at the time of sale. This strengthens your son's case as the rapid failure suggests pre-existing issues.

Here's what your son can do

Contact Toyota and Motorpoint about a warranty claim, highlighting the car's condition at purchase and the rapid failure.

Gather Documents,Proof of purchase, service history (if any), and the repair quote/invoice are crucial.

Focus on the Timeline, emphasise the car's immaculate condition upon purchase and the sudden problems shortly after. This suggests pre-existing issues, not wear and tear from your son's driving.

Consumer Advice: Seek further guidance from Citizens Advice (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/) for free and impartial support on consumer rights claims.

Remember, being outside the 30-day rejection window doesn't mean your son has no rights. The focus should be on the car's condition not being up to standard and the rapid failure after purchase. With a strong case and clear communication, there's a good chance of getting a repair covered under warranty or through consumer rights.Hope this helps:smile:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So what is this from?

Sorry - this is part of his V5 registration document ☺️

• Like 1

Which is incorrect as no second generation Aygo (2014-2021) was available as a CVT.

Looks like the dealer who originally first registered the car back in 21 may have made an error.

So did Motorpoint advertise it as a CVT or an X-Shift?

• Like 2

is it fully dealer serviced ?

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

is it fully dealer serviced ?

We were told it was and that it would be serviced before we got it , as it was being sent up from their branch in Birmingham .  It was stamped once in the book at a Birmingham garage  on 24/09/22  and had done 24,028 miles.  But we were told that it would be serviced before being sent up to us , and that all the details are now entered electronically into your cars computer system and can only be retrieved by authorised dealers/garages.  Nothing had been flagged  up so it had just been a straightforward service! The sales guy had said that the car was immaculate inside n out,  which it was and had been very well looked after by its owner !  When it was sold to my son on 31/08/23 it had 38,928 miles. 
My Son is it’s 3rd owner 

Hiya,

We were told it was a normal automatic car, as my son had only ever passed his test for an automatic car which we told them.

Just checking on all  the paperwork from Motorpoint , it’s just described as a Toyota Aygo Hatchback - 

From the finance company , it’s described as TOYOTA AYGO HATCHBACK 1.0 VVT-i X-Tr 

And the V5 as AYGO X-TREND TSS VVT-I CVT

The Toyota main dealer was saying that it needed 

Battery condition / drive belts

i Aux belt cracked and perished requires new belt 0.7

Price

£100.90

——————

i MMT clutch burnt out and worn requires new clutch kit and flywheel with MMT recalibration and set up 6.0

£1,448.75

So which model does this confirm the car to be ? 

im so so sorry , my Son and myself know nothing about cars ! 😞

35 minutes ago, CathyCathy said:

The Toyota main dealer was saying that it needed 

Battery condition / drive belts

i Aux belt cracked and perished requires new belt 0.7

Price

£100.90

——————

i MMT clutch burnt out and worn requires new clutch kit and flywheel with MMT recalibration and set up 6.0

£1,448.75

So which model does this confirm the car to be ? 

im so so sorry , my Son and myself know nothing about cars ! 😞

This confirms it has the X-Shift aka Multi Mode Transmission or MMT. This is a manual gearbox with automated clutch -  sometimes described as a semi automatic.

So not a full automatic or CVT

• Like 3

3 owners in 3 years, it's up in the miles for what he paid it missed its first service in 2022 (poss due to lockdown) by 4 months

service history can be looked up online via My Toyota (click on account at the top right of the page) https://www.toyota.co.uk/#/

its not unheard of clutch needs doing under 60K miles if driven in slow traffic a lot

clutch price is about right for a main stealer, the belt price done at the same time is extracting the urine, 0.7 book time = 37-42 min of labour for a 10 min job while in the engine bay

your car comes back as AYGO 1.0 with MMT gearbox (MT, 5FS) Built 04/2021

• Like 1

just did a recall check - nothing outstanding

aygorecallcheck.thumb.jpg.070020f52da6658cbe19bbbc674db17f.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for all your very kind help, I am truly grateful . Thank you 🙏 

Do you think we might have a good point to argue with Motorpoint - as we explicitly said it had to be an automatic car ? As  If we had known it wasn’t a proper full automatic car , we wouldn’t have bought it ?

Thank you all again, especially as it’s a Saturday night  It’s just that it had got me so stressed out, working out what we ought to do ! 😞

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CathyCathy said:

Thank you all again, especially as it’s a Saturday night  It’s just that it had got me so stressed out, working out what we ought to do !

Absolutely no problem. Members do try their best to help.

If you go back to Motorpoint, it may be best to find out who is the overall manager of the site, and put something in writing to them. Given what you've said, think it would be difficult to prove mis-selling as there doesn't seem to be written information they misled you.

Be polite. Stress that you were looking for a full automatic rather than what you have (a manual gearbox with automated clutch).

As a fallback position, because you've been sold something different to what you were looking for, ask whether, as goodwill, they may be able to help with the repair costs.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, CathyCathy said:

Thank you all so much for all your very kind help, I am truly grateful . Thank you 🙏 

Do you think we might have a good point to argue with Motorpoint - as we explicitly said it had to be an automatic car ? As  If we had known it wasn’t a proper full automatic car , we wouldn’t have bought it ?

Thank you all again, especially as it’s a Saturday night  It’s just that it had got me so stressed out, working out what we ought to do ! 😞

The car is automatic and it doesn’t really matter if it’s full auto, semi auto, mmt, cvt or eCVT, dsg and all other names. 
The clutch of mmt transmission should be guaranteed by he manufacturer warranty and in your case by the seller. 
Your first call is the place you have both the car from, they are 100% responsible for the condition of the car and you have 100% rights to request free repair or return for a full refund as clearing the car was not fit for purpose at the time of purchase. Don’t worry about any finances you have on, just book an appointment with your car seller Motorpoint , get there with all paperwork, ask for repair or return the car for refund. 
Stand your rights. 
Good luck 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links