Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drivers who speed will be slowed down by EU car tech

jthspace

The Telegraph 

CARS will beep, vibrate or slow down if drivers are speeding under new mandatory safety technology that comes into effect this summer.

From July 6, new vehicles sold in the European Union and Northern Ireland will be fitted with intelligent speed assistance (ISA) to prevent accidents. Although the UK has opted out, meaning it will not be a requirement on British roads, the technology will still be installed in most cars, and drivers can choose to switch it off on a daily basis.

Steve Gooding, the director of the RAC Foundation, an independent research organisation, told The Sunday Times: “I think many motorists will tire of switching off ISA and they will just learn to live with it.”

Mr Gooding said it would take autonomy away from drivers, with cars increasingly deciding what drivers can and can’t do, and was the beginning of the end of people choosing cars based on top speed.

ISA has a forward-facing camera that can recognise speed limit signs and is integrated with GPS mapping data so the car always knows what limit applies to its location. When fitted, the technology will send a warning beep or the steering wheel will vibrate when drivers pass the speed limit. If the driver does not take action, the accelerator will ease up, reducing the speed to keep in line with the limit.

Manufacturers including Ford have been offering ISA as an option on new cars since 2015, and it has been mandatory on all new cars sold in Europe since 2022, but could be switched off.

The European Transport Safety Council said that while it took drivers a short time to adjust to the technology, the majority saw it as a positive step. It also helps drivers avoid speeding tickets.

Leeds University calculated that Britain could see up to 12 per cent reduction in injuries from road accidents, equating to thousands of people walking away from collisions unharmed or avoiding crashes altogether.

The European Transport Safety Council has also calculated it could reduce deaths by 20 per cent.

There are roughly 1,700 deaths on British roads annually, and the figures suggest that if the technology was adopted across the board in the UK it could save 340 lives.

• Like 1

If I stuck a 10 mph white circle with a red border at the bottom of my garden would it be recognised by these vehicles that are fitted with this technology?

How does it do with the ones where someone changed the 3 to a 5?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jthspace said:

The Telegraph 

CARS will beep, vibrate or slow down if drivers are speeding under new mandatory safety technology that comes into effect this summer.

From July 6, new vehicles sold in the European Union and Northern Ireland will be fitted with intelligent speed assistance (ISA) to prevent accidents. Although the UK has opted out, meaning it will not be a requirement on British roads, the technology will still be installed in most cars, and drivers can choose to switch it off on a daily basis.

Steve Gooding, the director of the RAC Foundation, an independent research organisation, told The Sunday Times: “I think many motorists will tire of switching off ISA and they will just learn to live with it.”

Mr Gooding said it would take autonomy away from drivers, with cars increasingly deciding what drivers can and can’t do, and was the beginning of the end of people choosing cars based on top speed.

ISA has a forward-facing camera that can recognise speed limit signs and is integrated with GPS mapping data so the car always knows what limit applies to its location. When fitted, the technology will send a warning beep or the steering wheel will vibrate when drivers pass the speed limit. If the driver does not take action, the accelerator will ease up, reducing the speed to keep in line with the limit.

Manufacturers including Ford have been offering ISA as an option on new cars since 2015, and it has been mandatory on all new cars sold in Europe since 2022, but could be switched off.

The European Transport Safety Council said that while it took drivers a short time to adjust to the technology, the majority saw it as a positive step. It also helps drivers avoid speeding tickets.

Leeds University calculated that Britain could see up to 12 per cent reduction in injuries from road accidents, equating to thousands of people walking away from collisions unharmed or avoiding crashes altogether.

The European Transport Safety Council has also calculated it could reduce deaths by 20 per cent.

There are roughly 1,700 deaths on British roads annually, and the figures suggest that if the technology was adopted across the board in the UK it could save 340 lives.

Toyota cars not on the list. 

https://etsc.eu/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa/

22 minutes ago, jthspace said:

the beginning of the end of people choosing cars based on top speed.

I think Graham Hancock was on to something - what galaxy are these people from?

In certain circumstances, this could lead to accidents.

38 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

If I stuck a 10 mph white circle with a red border at the bottom of my garden would it be recognised by these vehicles that are fitted with this technology?

Yes.

If you and your neighbour opposite put 10 stickers on your wheelie bins 😀

This is what I have been banging on about.   Recycle centres and car parks often have 5 or 10 limits but never 30 on exiting. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Quite.  There are many drivers of certain cars that think 30/60/70 are too slow and tailgate those of us who are content with the posted limits.

Where more cars are forced to comply the incidence of impatient tailgating and dangerous overtaking will increase.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Unfortunately, this is true.  There must be occasions where a driver has increased speed beyond the limit in order to get out of a collision risk.  Yet another case of “one size doesn’t fit all.”

It amazes me that all the safety pundits make claims that speed restrictions will save hundreds of lives annually, without any scientific proof that this is so.  In an accident, so many variable factors can apply, sometimes resulting in serious injury or death at a slow speed, to miraculous escaped with little or no injuries at high speeds.  In bizarre cases, the wearing of a seat belt has been recorded as contributing more serious injuries than if the belt had not been worn.

The belief that car technology will make roads safer than reliance on a human driver is false.  No matter how complicated the automaton system of a car may be, it will always rely on a collection of preprogrammed reactions.  Every collision circumstance is different, and a car will never be able to think for itself and correctly respond to every possible scenario.

• Like 3

It's a complete myth that most accidents are caused by speeding.

I am all for keeping to the speed limit if it's the right speed limit for the road and conditions but as we can see in Wales a blanket reduction dosen't work.

Even the ONS having speeding as only the 5th or 6th main cause of accidents...i won't put that link in as you really have to drill down in to it.

https://www.driving.org/the-uks-top-causes-of-road-collisions/

• Like 1

My Yaris speed identifier is next to useless, it remembers  the last sign, but sometimes never updates; I've been on unrestricted roads and it still shows 30.  I've not got satnav fitted, so assume it can't update itself without the mapping.  My MX5 Mk4 has a very accurate system but my 1993 MX5 relies on my right foot 😎 but E5 Petrol, a sweet engine and Millers ethanol reducing octane booster additive makes it harder to observe!

• Like 2

The best thing you did was Brexit. People like me still have to take it. It's the new Soviet Union, but this one has some people in a ivory tower, concerned with your safety. And I'll bet that "mandatory" technology will also not allow you to start the car in a pandemic.

EU = Soviet Union in blue.

• Like 1

Back in my mid 20s I had an imported Subaru Impreza that was limited to 112mph, I remember at the time everyone would get them unlimited and I would be lying if I said it wasn’t on my list of things to do.. after 6months of not getting it done I never bothered.. the reason like many, in the real world you rarely need to, the limiter removed the temptation too, I rarely found myself bouncing off the limiter thinking ‘this thing needs unlimiting.. I had full performance upto the limiter, and enough real word speed. It made me think for years and still now about how that 112mph was more than enough and should be fitted to all cars. Like others have said though, it’s not just the outright speed that kills. 

• Like 2

It is many many years since I stopped believing that speed limits were for safety, they are so obviously for fund raising, no doubt whatsoever in my mind about that.

• Like 2

This isn't news.

New cars with Type Approval dated after July 2022 have already had to have Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) fitted, and it is already fitted to new Toyotas, etc, etc in advance of July 2024.

There are also a number of topics on the Club about ISA

@FROSTYBALLS agreed there is a number of topics already but I think thought this went rather further:

If the article, as highlighted, is true the cars will slow down unless the driver disables this every day. 

Is this part true?  Apart from being an unnecessary PITA for the majority of UK drivers it will be useful for we who travel to Europe.

The other question is:

From July 6, new vehicles sold in the European Union and Northern Ireland will be fitted with intelligent speed assistance (ISA) to prevent accidents.

Does this mean all new vehicles or only those with a post July 2022 type-approval?

I note that the link quoted by @MV1216 actually says:

The European Union agreed in 2019 to make an overridable version of ISA, along with a number of other vehicle safety measures, mandatory on new models of car sold in the EU from 2022.

ls this just an example selective sensational media reporting?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Does this mean all new vehicles or only those with a post July 2022 type-approval?

All.

Those with a new Type Approval from 6th July 2022 were required to have ISA. From 6th July 2024, all new vehicles built from this date will be required to have ISA.

Most manufacturers would already comply with the 2024 requirement.

The Club has had topics on this subject since 2021 - not just current topics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m assuming it means the cars speed will be adjusted accordingly to the road sign, I had this on my puma and when it worked it was great, more often than not it either  saw side road 20mph signs and kept you at that despite being in a 30, or, it didn’t pick up the signs at all, the Toyota system works better even though it doesn’t match the cars speed to the signs, I’ve set mine to beep when it goes over the limit, im all for anything that keeps you within the limit, as I was caught twice in one year and ended up with an awareness course and later, three points, ( gone now thankfully)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriss27 said:

New CHR beeps if you are speeding  

Look at the link at the differences between ISA and cars that have warning systems Toyotas warnings have become increasingly annoying in the last 6 years. Btw you can turn that beep off ISA mandated cars Not so much. 

look at the link and draw your own conclusions. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Look at the link at the differences between ISA and cars that have warning systems Toyotas warnings have become increasingly annoying in the last 6 years. Btw you can turn that beep off ISA mandated cars Not so much. 

look at the link and draw your own conclusions. 

Yes you can turn it off but you have to do it each time you turn the ignition on 

• Like 1

There's a particular road in Rugby where my car picks up a 10 on a random sign and then proceeds to tell me that is the speed limit and because it's a 30mph there are no more signs for miles.

Right now I can disable any noise.  In the future I might end up smashing the console in 🤣

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Yes you can turn it off but you have to do it each time you turn the ignition on 

Which, they hope, becomes a PITA and you eventually give up and drive below the limit. The snag is error rate.  Today did a short stretch 60-30-20-30.  Everything was fine until I left the 20 and it decided the correct speed was 10.  Shortly after it showed 'no limit' rather than NSL or the correct 30.

What will happen when it misses a 30 and displays NSL?  Still your responsibility but some people will become reliant and plead mitigation, much the way as they rely on Satnav.

My AA today offered me an alternative route but at least this one was gated and locked. 

• Like 2

I think this is coming in too early - If my Mk4 is anything to go by these systems need massive improvement before they're suitable for real world use. My Mk4 decided the speed limit was suddenly 5mph when I was driving down the M1 into London today!!

And it regularly thinks the speed limit is 20mph on the 40mph A406 because of the 20mph signs on the side streets.

The signage will need significantly better maintenance too - In some areas, signs are covered with greenery or even moss.

8 hours ago, jcps001 said:

The best thing you did was Brexit. People like me still have to take it. It's the new Soviet Union, but this one has some people in a ivory tower, concerned with your safety. And I'll bet that "mandatory" technology will also not allow you to start the car in a pandemic.

EU = Soviet Union in blue.

Sadly what we've actually done is give up all the rights and privileges of being part of the EU but kept following the responsibilities and restrictions, and in some case added more restrictions  :wallbash:

I didn't think it would go particularly well when it became clear most of the promises the brexit campaigners made were untrue, but the fact that we're still forced to comply with most of the restrictions brexit was supposed to free us from without getting any of the benefits does rankle...

It's not as rosey as it might seem to you guys still in, but at least you can try and change it by voting in the right MEPs or petitioning them to do what you want...

• Like 3

Yes, drive round the 40mph Coventry ring road, which has merge roads rather than slip roads, and the speed display shifts constantly from 40 to 30 as it picks up the 30 signs from the merge lanes.

If the car was actually controlling the speed this would be beyond dangerous.

• Like 1

Just one more confirmation that, from Transport Minister to next Transport Minister, and down to the road planners, these so-called “experts” have no idea as to what a sensibly safe road should look like.

Whilst the low on averages says we must have some idiots on our roads, I believe the vast majority of drivers are capable in handling their vehicles, and most know an unsafe traffic measure when they see it.  But the stubborn “experts” will not listen to the opinions of that majority, and will continue to come up with ideas that make things worse.

The obvious example is smart motorways.  Despite significant deaths as a result of these smart motorways, the government has only slowed down their development, and refused to reinstate the hard shoulder to replace the existing ones.

They claim that UK motorways are the safest in the world - whilst presumably quietly excepting the “smart” ones (?) But, even if this claim is true, does that mean we have to accept the backward step of smart motorways, just because the government do not have the guts to admit that they are wrong?  Do they not feel any guilt for their complicity in causing deaths due to their authorisation of smart motorways, and for not taking positive action to reverse the situation?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links