Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bottle jack

IanAP

Has anyone used a bottle jack instead of a scissor jack on a Corolla please?

I'm considering one as it should fit comfortably in the well of my space saver wheel.

I have seen it suggested that they should be stored upright but replies to my query on Amazon say that they are fine if stored horizontally.

My biggest concern is security. They seem to have a small diameter head and do not have the same depth of slot for the jacking point as does a scissors jack. If working on the car at home then I would immediately put blocks under the car and not rely on the jack for support but that wouldn't have blocks with me  if I needed to change a wheel whilst out on the open roads.

Thoughts please.

It really isn't going to be worse than the jack the car comes with.. 😳

• Like 1

Hi Ian,using a bottle jack instead of a scissor jack on a Corolla is feasible, and it can fit in the space saver wheel well. While some suggest storing bottle jacks upright, many users have reported horizontal storage without issues. Security concerns arise due to the smaller diameter head and shallower slot for the jacking point compared to a scissor jack. It's advisable to have blocks for additional support when working at home, but on the road scenarios might require improvisation or extra caution. Consider carrying compact blocks or exploring alternative jacking methods.Hope this helps.:smile:

I've used a bottle jack on a Land Rover (original manufacturer supplied part) and wouldn't recommend it - it wasn't nearly as good as a traditional scissor jack.

A flat scissor jack can be stored easily in most places, you can wind it out a bit to secure it against the trim. On several cars I've owned it's been under the carpet near the rear lights. In the corolla I could likely put one under the floor. You may find it fits into the wheel space if wound out a bit.

Bottle jacks can be really dangerous - They fall over really easily and don't lock in to the sill like the OE scissor jacks do.

If you use one, you definitely need jack stands and move them both up together, jacking up a bit, then raising the jack stands to match, repeat, as you go in case it falls over, esp. when jacking the car up on one side where the bottle jack will start to slide as the car angles up.

Absolutely do not use one if any part of you is under the car.

• Like 3

Also look at the collapsed height of the bottle compared with the scissor.  Under certain conditions you need a very low access.

From experience you need rather more than a scissor or bottle jack to cover 99% of wheel changes.  

I would add a wheel chock,  a wooden base plate for the jack, a mat to kneel on, torch or lantern gloves, wipes, towel, large bag for the dirty wheel, bag for board, towel,  mat, gloves etc.

Or a subscription for a breakdown service.

• Like 2

I used bottle jacks but never carried one in the car because of its weight when compering to a sissor jack.

No jack is 100% safe so donot go under the car without axal stands or run the car up onto wooden battons but that tricky if you doing it without someone watching that you dont run off the wooden batton.

You can also buy a low profile car ramp if you feeling rich.

• Like 2

I wonder what happened to that air-jack that was on tomorrows world - Basically a compressor that inflated a bag that you stuck under the car.

• Like 2

I have a new TS Icon 1.8 (16" wheels).  There is space under the boot floor for a full size spare wheel (having first discarded the hair gel and pump).

Of course, spares are no longer available from Toyota, so I simply sourced an aftermarket full size steel spare.   I already had a scissor jack with ratchet handle, extending wheel brace, etc..   l have found that the spare fits in the well perfectly (no polystyrene required).   The jack and tools, wrapped in cloth, fit perfectly around the outside of the tyre.   Nothing rattles and the boot floor still fits in the lower position if I so choose.    Quite happy with this solution. 

13 hours ago, SDR said:

I have a new TS Icon 1.8 (16" wheels).  There is space under the boot floor for a full size spare wheel (having first discarded the hair gel and pump).

Of course, spares are no longer available from Toyota, so I simply sourced an aftermarket full size steel spare.   I already had a scissor jack with ratchet handle, extending wheel brace, etc..   l have found that the spare fits in the well perfectly (no polystyrene required).   The jack and tools, wrapped in cloth, fit perfectly around the outside of the tyre.   Nothing rattles and the boot floor still fits in the lower position if I so choose.    Quite happy with this solution. 

Is your spare from current gen Toyota as the have changed the pcd bolt pattern from the last gen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Is your spare from current gen Toyota as the have changed the pcd bolt pattern from the last gen. 

I bought the spare brand new from a reputable (I hope) on-line supplier, for a new car.   Not a used one from a scrappy.

When you say 'last gen', how far are you going back?

Whatever, I guess what I should have done is actually try it on the car to make sure that it fits and also make sure that the bolts work with a steel rim (I was assured that they would).   Something I will put right over the next few days.   Thanks for the prompt.

1 hour ago, SDR said:

I bought the spare brand new from a reputable (I hope) on-line supplier, for a new car.   Not a used one from a scrappy.

When you say 'last gen', how far are you going back?

Whatever, I guess what I should have done is actually try it on the car to make sure that it fits and also make sure that the bolts work with a steel rim (I was assured that they would).   Something I will put right over the next few days.   Thanks for the prompt.

Only mentioned it is I tryed my spare from my gen 3 prius only to find bolt spacing is different to my corolla... I wouldn't have given this a second thought as most manufacturers stick to the same size for decades 

Ah!   As far as I can tell, the wheels on E210 Corollas haven't changed since 2018, maybe before.   It doesn't look like the Prius ever had the same CB and PCD (smaller in both measurements).

In this case, I think that I'll trust the supplier, up to point, and just check the CB and PCD measurements of the spare.   Should be 60.1mm 5x114.3mm respectively, I believe. 

I was just swoping wheels around and I thought I'd use 2 spares to speed things up till I realised one didn't fit.. DOH! 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links