Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P1340 fault

lethal_21

Hi all. 

I have a yaris 2004 and about a few weeks ago the engine light came on. Self diagnosed and got p1340 error. The next day the light went out but came back on again 2 weeks later. Took it to the mechanic who advised that cam chain and belt not syncing and car will fail to start eventually.   He advised to replace it will cost around 1100 pounds and not to bother. Seems pretty excessive to me but would appreciate if anyone could provide more details. Thanks 

Hi Omeo,the P1340 error code usually points to an issue with the camshaft position sensor, not the cambelt or chain itself. It's a good idea to confirm this with your mechanic. Replacing the sensor is often the easier and cheaper fix compared to replacing the cambelt or chain. Did they check the sensor first?:smile:

check the resistance of the OCV and remove and clean the OCV filter, these valves do stick closed at high rpm, when the rpm's drop the cam timing stays too advanced, and the car will die and/or run rough or be a pain to restart

ocv is circled in red

post-22688-127074802079.jpg

I doubt you have chain issues, codes are just a symptom, not a cause, if it was a bad chain/tensioner you will hear it rattle and it will throw other codes

Thanks for the responses. I initially asked him to check the error code and if the sensor needed chainging. I am not sure if he checked the sensors but he mentioned that the engine light does not come on for a sensor. He mentioned that there is a slight rattling when the car starts and sometimes when you turn it on doesn't turn on straight away but these sounds and symptoms where present when I brought the car 6 years ago. He did the whole check in 30 mins so not sure if he was thorough enough. 

Could this be an engine coil problem because using another software I get P1340 camshaft position sensor b Circuit malfunction Igniter Circuit malfunction no 8? Noticed while driving now bit of lack of power especially 2nd gear which seems to be a Symptom of coil problem. Thanks 

That is just a generic obd2 description p1340 on a Toyota is cam related, as I said above check the OCV it's a very common issue that will throw a cam code, and it will also lack power

a simple test is to do a WOT snap, if the car tries to stall or falls flat on its face when returning to idle it's a good sign the OCV is the issue, lack of proper oil changes can clog the OCV filter

ps. P1340 ignitor No. 8 = is coil No. 8 on a  V8 engine

Topic moved to the Yaris forum.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links