Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Vs petrol

2toyos

I'm currently sat at A1 Newark services on my way to the Lincoln lorry show, I've been to Lincoln before, but in the hybrid 2012 50kmiles Toyota serviced auris, there and back it used nearly a full tank, today I'm in the 2007 1.6 125000miles sometimes serviced petrol auris, I also have the air conditioning on, I've used a lot LESS fuel in the normal car, I currently still have a full tank and I left Rushden 

• Like 3

Hi Mathew, It seems  like your 2007 1.6 Auris is definitely more fuel efficient than your 2012 hybrid Auris, even though the 2012 has lower mileage. The 2007 Auris has a smaller, 1.6 liter engine, while the 2012 hybrid likely has a larger engine combined with an electric motor. Smaller engines tend to be more fuel efficient, especially on motorway trips.

You might be driving more efficiently this time around. Consider if you're maintaining a steady speed on the motorway and avoiding increased acceleration. It's possible that the 2012 hybrid Auris needs some maintenance. A dirty air filter or worn spark plugs can reduce fuel efficiency. Since you mentioned it's sometimes serviced, regular maintenance might be the thing.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the air conditioning can slightly reduce fuel efficiency, but it shouldn't be a major factor, especially on a motorway trip.

Overall, it's good that you're getting better fuel economy on this trip,and even better to know because I also own a Auris.:smile:

• Like 2

Same fuel tank size? manual 1.6? 

• Like 1

My 2021 C-HR (1.8 litre hybrid) is consistently giving me better mpg returns than any of my previous, regularly serviced diesel cars (all either 1.9 or 2.0 litre engines).

For optimum performance, a hybrid needs to be driven differently from a standard ICE.  If one is heavy on throttle and brakes, mpg performance will suffer.

Whilst I would not consider a full EV or a PHEV, a non-chargeable hybrid automatic (which the C-HR is) suits me fine, and it would be on that set up which I would base any change of vehicle.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Mathew, It seems  like your 2007 1.6 Auris is definitely more fuel efficient than your 2012 hybrid Auris, even though the 2012 has lower mileage. The 2007 Auris has a smaller, 1.6 liter engine, while the 2012 hybrid likely has a larger engine combined with an electric motor. Smaller engines tend to be more fuel efficient, especially on motorway trips.

You might be driving more efficiently this time around. Consider if you're maintaining a steady speed on the motorway and avoiding increased acceleration. It's possible that the 2012 hybrid Auris needs some maintenance. A dirty air filter or worn spark plugs can reduce fuel efficiency. Since you mentioned it's sometimes serviced, regular maintenance might be the thing.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the air conditioning can slightly reduce fuel efficiency, but it shouldn't be a major factor, especially on a motorway trip.

Overall, it's good that you're getting better fuel economy on this trip,and even better to know because I also own a Auris.:smile:

Well, I was driving faster in the petrol, but it does have cruise control, but I had the AC on, and the hybrid is serviced religiously, while the petrol, I haven't swapped the plugs in 3years, or the fuel filters, oil and air gets done, but the difference is huge, we're talking over 110mile range difference, plus the hybrid has better brakes and  Pirelli tyres, while the petrol has some Chinese make that are awful 😂

Edited by 2toyos

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Same fuel tank size? manual 1.6? 

Same size 40l tank, and yes manual

3 hours ago, Haliotis said:

My 2021 C-HR (1.8 litre hybrid) is consistently giving me better mpg returns than any of my previous, regularly serviced diesel cars (all either 1.9 or 2.0 litre engines).

For optimum performance, a hybrid needs to be driven differently from a standard ICE.  If one is heavy on throttle and brakes, mpg performance will suffer.

Whilst I would not consider a full EV or a PHEV, a non-chargeable hybrid automatic (which the C-HR is) suits me fine, and it would be on that set up which I would base any change of vehicle.

I'm fully aware of this, and drive accordingly in each different vehicle, I have several vehicles, but the 1.6petrol is constantly beating the hybrid with range

It's a smaller engine and manual, it's not auto so that is the big difference, not similar comparison. If that was a 1.6/1.8 petrol auto and has better mpg than the hybrid then I and the rest of us here would not be paying more for a auto hybrid. 

Assuming that one drives a hybrid in a manner which gives optimum efficiency, drives an ordinary car in the same manner, and both cars are 1.8 litre automatics, then the hybrid will always have better mpg because of the time on a journey when the car is in electric mode.

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Assuming that one drives a hybrid in a manner which gives optimum efficiency, drives an ordinary car in the same manner, and both cars are 1.8 litre automatics, then the hybrid will always have better mpg because of the time on a journey when the car is in electric mode.

The 1.6 petrol beat the hybrid by 110miles difference in range, I drive in safe and appropriate manner

This is semi-normal - The HSD in the Auris is forced to run the engine all the time at higher speeds and even if the electric motor is powerful enough to keep the car rolling on its own it can't, because a quirk of the way MG1 is connected to the ICE means it can't spin fast enough to keep it still so above 40-ish mph the ICE is forced to spin no matter what.

This means the car can't leverage the hybrid side as much as would be optimal so you're effectively driving with just a very efficient 1.8L engine.

One of the biggest improvements in the new ones was a reduction gear between MG1 and the ICE, which allows MG1 to spin fast enough to keep the ICE off up to just over 80mph

That said the discrepancy shouldn't be huge as the 1.8L should still be extremely efficient when cruising (Assuming you're not going full beans constantly or accelerating too briskly!) - You might want to check the wheels are all aligned correctly, tyre pressures are all up to spec, and there aren't any brakes stuck on or dragging!

• Like 2

My Yaris Cross hybrid is doing 56mpg overall, that includes about 75% on motorways.  It equals my previous Renault Captur 1.5 diesel which also did 56mpg overall on the same usage.  My Mazda 6 2.2 diesel achieved 52mpg oveall.

The hybrid is way better on A & B roads at 40mph or so, but loses out on the motorway.  The Mazda won on the motorway, but it was retired at 197k miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gren said:

The hybrid is way better on A & B roads at 40mph or so, but loses out on the motorway.  The Mazda won on the motorway, but it was retired at 197k miles.

Regarding my C-HR hybrid, it probably gives less mpg than it does off the motorway but, on motorways it is distinctly better than any of my previous ICE cars.

My nearest comparison to the C-HR in terms of footprint, kerb weight and engine size was my VW Touran, which was 1.9L TDI (diesel).  This was not quite, but close, to mpg on motorways, but nowhere near as economical on A & B roads.

Just a little update I still haven't filled the petrol car up yet, being used for work and school/nursery runs, still on half a tank, it would be interesting to fill both up and see which actual does the best 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links