Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone know where to buy a GR86 oil filter removal tool?

olddriver

On the side of the filter it says “tighten 3/4 turn, after contact gasket, (tightening torque 12-16Nm), I will need a tool with 15 flutes/sides and what looks like 78 or 79 mm dia, but it’s difficult to measure because it’s an uneven number of flutes/flats!. The Subaru number on the side of it is 15208AA170.

I once had a lot of trouble removing an oil filter after the dealer fitted it, I crushed it with a chain type tool, so rammed a screwdriver through it, to turn it and just managed to turn it!  Ever since then, I always used a proper multi flute/sided tool.

Edit: There are some 79mm dia with 15 flutes on eBay but they are all from china and a few, probably chinese, from the US.

Try and find a reputable eBay seller with good feedback. I bought a cheap Chinese 64.5mm removal tool for my Yaris a few years ago and it still works. It was only around £6 and I was expecting it to break on the first use.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 1.33 said:

Try and find a reputable eBay seller with good feedback. I bought a cheap Chinese 64.5mm removal tool for my Yaris a few years ago and it still works. It was only around £6 and I was expecting it to break on the first use.

Thanks, I messaged one guy on eBay about an 80mm one and without replying he blocked me from buying it, he lost out really cos I would have taken the hit if it was too big, hopefully he saved me the money because I found a 78mm one in UK and ordered that, so I will have to suck it and see, and then order a 79mm from china if that is too small.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It is a Scooby 2.4 flat four isn't it, GR86 is 2nd gen so it should be 79.2mm (80mm) 15 flute

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-Flutes-Filter-Housing-Remover/dp/B07DTFFB8F

Thanks, I will try that one. Unbelievably the 78mm one is out of stock!.  Hopefully you are right as the biggest reading that I got was 79.2, but the lowest was 78.3mm, but obviously I couldn't measure flat to flat, as there is an odd number of flutes/flats!

THIS IS THE THIRD TIME I HAVE TRIED TO POST, HOPR IT WORKS!!!

Looking at the aftermarket filters, OD comes out at 82.5-85mm

use a piece of string or paper and mark it, then measure the paper/string - Divide by Pi (3.141) for the circ.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:38 PM, flash22 said:

Looking at the aftermarket filters, OD comes out at 82.5-85mm

use a piece of string or paper and mark it, then measure the paper/string - Divide by Pi (3.141) for the circ.

But the previous link that you gave, says to measure thus:-

IMG_6333.jpeg

well it gets you in the ballpark

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links