Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2019 Icon tech making loud growling noise

sufy

Hi

My Yaris 2019 Icon tech is making a growling noise when driving. It seems like it's coming from the engine. 

What could it be and would i need to get it checked asap or can leave it for a while.

No warning lights have come up on the dash.

Can you post a sound clip?

• Like 1

Sorry, couldn't resist, but are you sure there isn't a dog trapped under the bonnet?

I'll leave now.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

Sorry, couldn't resist, but are you sure there isn't a dog trapped under the bonnet?

I'll leave now.

There could be you know 😁 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

I'll leave now.

Or have you been pressing the throttle to the floor??? According to motoring journalists this results in an almighty racket!!!!!! 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Moleman said:

Or have you been pressing the throttle to the floor??? According to motoring journalists this results in an almighty racket!!!!!! 😁 

Nope. Just normal regular local driving 

Is the noise constant or vary with speed or change according to throttle position/engine load?

11 minutes ago, SDR said:

Is the noise constant or vary with speed or change according to throttle position/engine load?

Doesn't happen when it's idle at traffic light. It's when i start accelerating and go up the gears then it happens. As you mentioned happens with speed.

Could be many things and impossible to diagnose on a forum.   However, you have no warning lights, and if it isn't affecting performance/driveability;  if it was my car I would be thinking:

If the noise varies with speed but not engine load/acceleration, possibly something as simple as a stone stuck in a brake caliper (especially if the noise started suddenly).

If the noise varies according to acceleration/engine load, possibly an exhaust leak.   Joint, cracked pipe, cracked manifold (which wouldn't be good).

Sorry to say but I would get it looked at.   A stone stuck in the brakes might free itself (driving forwards and backwards repeatedly can help this) but most issues won't cure themselves and are likely to get worse.

• Like 2

Another thought, wheel bearing, they growl!   Would be unusual on a modern 5yr old car unless big miles or hard driven.

Easy clue is if the noise changes on bends (as driving around a bend loads the outside wheels).

This is another reason to identify the cause sooner rather than later.   A completely failed wheel bearing can cause loss of control.

• Like 2

My bet would be a faulty wheel bearing, must be bad if it growls at you lol 

• Haha 1

Very difficult without knowing how it sounds normally.   All I would say is that it does sound engine-related rather than running gear (brakes, bearings).

From the repeated slowing/accelerating I am assuming that it is worse when the engine is under load.   That would take me back to an exhaust leak as the most obvious option.   Time to get it looked at, methinks, as it could be many things.

I am also new to Toyotas and I don't know about any known issues on this model. 

Sounds pretty normal to me, my mother has a 2019 Icon tech 1.5 petrol and hers sounds pretty much the same. They do have pretty poor silencers on the exhaust on these, with only a small straight through back box that makes the car sound throaty on accelaration, its the same on the 1.33 engines too, they dont have a proper size back box and are quite noisy too.

It would be unlikely you have an exhaust leak and I dont think it is that anyway going on the recording. Wheel bearing failure is like a loud, deep droning noise that starts to get progressively louder as speed increases, and is not altered by whether the car is accelarating, and is not changed by whether the engine is dropped out of gear and allowed to coast in neutral at idle - the droning noise is speed related only and not engine speed related. I have read reports of 2019 Yaris's being affected by failed rear wheel bearings, could have been a poor quality batch they used on later Mk3 models that fail more easily, especially with the poor state of the potholed roads in the UK. As I say - drive along at 50MPH so you hear the noise, then press the clutch down and let the engine speed fall to idle - if the noise still remains, it is the wheel bearings, but if the noise stops, its more to do with the engine or transmission.

Check the oil level as well when the engine is cold - if the level is low, that could cause roughness in operation.

How many miles has the car done and when was it last serviced?

• Like 1

If that has a dog in the bonnet, my previous MK3 hybrid had a lion in there when flooring the pedal.

• Like 1

Sounds normal to me too.

17 hours ago, SDR said:

Would be unusual on a modern 5yr old car

Not with a Mk 3 Yaris. I've had to change two rear hubs because of failed bearings. At not many miles or great age. The Blueprint replacements have lasted much longer than the originals!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

Not with a Mk 3 Yaris. I've had to change two rear hubs because of failed bearings. At not many miles or great age. The Blueprint replacements have lasted much longer than the originals!

Yep, we sell a lot of wheel bearings 

22 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Yep, we sell a lot of wheel bearings 

A wheel bearing for a Yaris?   Sounds like a fair exchange 🤣

Sorry, Yaris owners, perhaps I should just leave now...

Seriously, though, I have noted the comments that the audio clip sounds normal and, as I've made clear, I'm new to Toyotas so I wouldn't know.

I just assumed that the OP wouldn't have been asking unless something had changed on his particular car (and, yes, I know the old one that assume makes an ***** out of u and me).  Eey-or.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sufy said:

Here is some footage of it!

It would be easier without the sat nav talking over it, but it doesn't sound a million miles from mine which has a fairly loud growl when under higher power. However, that's a hybrid, so it's a bit different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sufy said:

What I hear wrong here is the sat nav voice. 
The car is non hybrid and nothing really unusual for these little cars, all typical road, engine and tyre noises are present. 
if you think might be a wheel bearings, check each wheel individually when car is lifted up. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 10:18 AM, sufy said:

Hi

My Yaris 2019 Icon tech is making a growling noise when driving. It seems like it's coming from the engine. 

What could it be and would i need to get it checked asap or can leave it for a while.

No warning lights have come up on the dash.

Sufy,

Given the number of people who are familiar with your model and who don't hear anything particularly unusual in the audio clip (and I can't say that I do either although I'm not familiar with the Yaris), perhaps it is time to clarify something. 

Is this a new car, to you, and you are just wondering if the sound it makes under acceleration is normal?   Or is it a car that you have had for some time and the noise has changed?

I guess that some people here might know you and your car but I'm a newbie here!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links